jarcher

VC Offshore still good after 3 years?

I have a 1 gallon can of VC Offshore that I used about 20% of. It's had the lid on tight and sat in my garage for several years. I'm in the Northeast so it got both very cold and very hot. I took it out today, it had no skin on the top and it was thick and goopy at the bottom. I was able to mix it with a paint mixer and my power drill, and it seemed to mix okay. I was planning to put it on my boat tomorrow, but I'm wondering if its still any good. I called Interlux, but they have not called back yet.

Interlux returned my email, said that the shelf life of VC Offshore is 3 years. They told me how to see how old it is from the batch number, and mine was made in 2014.

So what do you guys think, use it or toss it? I'm not painting an entire bottom, just fixing some areas where the paint has flaked off. Some of those areas are like 18 inches wide...

If it was in a sealed container and wasn't stored in the tropics, I'd go for it. But that's just me.

Look up the recommended thinner, add a little before your last coat at least, most likely you'll have lost a little solvent if anything.  I won't use time ex'd paint on a customers boat but I'd use it on my own(and have) without any problems.  If it'll really bug you, I would use it up for base coats, then finish with a final coat of some fresh stuff(from a smaller can so you don't repeat the same in a few years when you redo). 

EDIT looks like they specify 216 as the thinner, that's mostly xylene, which is cheap.  Anywhere that sells car paint should have it for sale for under 10$ for a bottle.  I would add a healthy splash of that to your can and re-mix with the drill. 

Sadly I didn't see your reply until after I painted, but thank you for the advice. The paint seemed to cure okay, although slowley. We have had crappy cold weather so I think that had more to do with it than the age of the paint. 

The bottom is in very poor condition and it looks like it has never been faired. I can clearly see where the two halves of the mold meet. Maybe in the fall I'll get it soda basted and spend the winter and spring under it with fairing, barrier coating and painting. Oh, yeah, and lots and lots of sanding.