Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Oar

Catalina 27 motor help

So, I'm a marine diesel mechanic, and work at a boatyard so, more than handy...

I got a Catalina 27, and, my motor doesn't fit. I tried a Honda 15 power tilt, and traded it for a Suzuki DT15 2 stroke, and can't get the cowling off to access the oiler.

Gonna trade the Suzuki for something else

I want a 15 because sailing in the northwest can suck and we have lots of tides

The icing on the cake is I have an Edson binacle that everything is controlled by/from

Really wanting a motor that can tilt up into the well, function over form...

Get a long 9.9 - that's what was intended when the boat was designed. It'll be lots. You can't buck the tide here in a small sailboat so......

If you're gonna go with an ob on a sailboat, Yamaha T9.9 is the way to go.  Swings an 11" prop with a lot of blade area and 2.92:1 gearing.  They produce a lot of thrust - probably better than a 12-15 hp ib diesel. 

Keep in mind that the well was designed for old style 2 stroke engines so fitting a newer emissions compliant motor is hit or miss as you have seen  

http://catalina27.org/ is probably the best source for what works with motors available today. They were pretty active a few years ago but they might be fading out. 

I don't think any outboard sailboat from the GOD's was ever designed to handle 15's and such - 9.9 and less was all that was ever thought of.

Gotta go with the old long shaft 2-strokes. Johnson Sailmaster 9.9 with the super long shaft is basically the way to go.

2 hours ago, fucket said:

Gotta go with the old long shaft 2-strokes. Johnson Sailmaster 9.9 with the super long shaft is basically the way to go.

Too long, a standard long barely clears the rudder 

Yeah, old sailboats are what's keeping the old 2 strokes alive.

A low geared 2 stroke 9.9 is what I'm after, but considering I traded a Honda 15 4 stroke powerhead/upper with a working power tilt for the Suzuki, I don't have much into this, i got 1000$ into my Catalina tall rig, and like 200$ into the outboard for parts for the binacle... 

Whatever I get, I hate doing glasswork and would rather not have it African American engineered onto the back of the boat

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:15 PM, Dirty Oar said:

Too long, a standard long barely clears the rudder 

Yeah, old sailboats are what's keeping the old 2 strokes alive.

A low geared 2 stroke 9.9 is what I'm after, but considering I traded a Honda 15 4 stroke powerhead/upper with a working power tilt for the Suzuki, I don't have much into this, i got 1000$ into my Catalina tall rig, and like 200$ into the outboard for parts for the binacle... 

Whatever I get, I hate doing glasswork and would rather not have it African American engineered onto the back of the boat

You posted to the wrong forum.  Not Quite A Half Step Removed From Racial Slur Anarchy is over there ---->