Hauled out, getting a MaxProp and wondering what’s best practice to keep fouling minimized on it and the 5’x1’ bronze centerboard  

Is PropSpeed the best alternative ? 

I’m interested to hear, but IMO nothing lasts on props. They spin, you know, sort of quickly. 

On the other hand, Ive had VIVID on my saildrives I’m in my 3D year and it’s done fairly well. 

I do gently wipe pretty frequently. If you’re racing you can’t escape that. 

I'm trying PropGlide, what looks to be a cheaper PropSpeed knockoff, this season.  I'll report back in July and let you know how it goes.  $100 for the 3 blade Max prop, shaft, and strut with plenty to spare.  Could had another boat probably.  

Don't bother with Velox, it's about as good as TriLux spray can, which is to say awful. 

On 5/11/2018 at 2:38 PM, LionessRacing said:

Hauled out, getting a MaxProp and wondering what’s best practice to keep fouling minimized on it and the 5’x1’ bronze centerboard  

For the prop, Propspeed is the stuff to use.

For the centerboard, probably not, as it'd get scratched raising and lowering. But so would any bottom coating I guess?

On 5/11/2018 at 6:38 AM, LionessRacing said:

Without a doubt.

I see lots of boats with regular ablative bottom paint on props and shafts, but I have heard you are not supposed to. Why not?

Anybody using the petit zinc paint? I assume it's less effective than prop-speed given that it's a quick and cheap application in comparison, but how much less effective is it?  Any different than the rustoleum or equivalent cold galvanizing spray? I emailed Petit about it, but never heard back. 

http://www.pettitpaint.com/products/underwater-metal-protection/barnacle-barrier/prop-coat-barnacle-barrier/

I had unspectacular results with the trilux and the alumikoat paints on outdrives, which given the price per can was disappointing. 

On 5/11/2018 at 4:29 AM, WoobaGooba said:

Works for me ...

IMG_0599.PNG

Didn't work for me. Worst hard fouling in years.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Didn't work for me. Worst hard fouling in years.

My diver tells me I have one of the cleaner props he sees.

What is working for you?

I think you might want to take your location into consideration when asking antifoul questions. 

F. Ex.: what I have on worked very well on the northern Gulf coast. Then I went into the Keys and it was as though there was no anti foul at all, it was so bad. Then moving into the Bahamas, I almost don’t have to clean the bottom, again. The only change: location. 

Talk to local people and to divers if possible. 

On 5/13/2018 at 2:15 PM, ziggy said:

I see lots of boats with regular ablative bottom paint on props and shafts, but I have heard you are not supposed to. Why not?

The key is cavitation. Cavitation  kills everything: paint, silicone and fouling, so all good there (except it can also kill the prop).

Paint will crack, break and fall, so it's useless on a prop. Silicone peels off when broken  by cavitation. Propspeed is the only silicone-based top coat I've seen that won't peel off and that's because the way it's applied,. It's the primer, not the coat that makes the difference...