Sign in to follow this  
gkny

removing a head liner

I need to rebed the genoa track on an x 372 sailboat.  The under side is covered by a headliner.  The headliner tucks into a kind of cap rail runs along the turn from the deck to the coach house.  I cannot see a way to get enough room to slide it away from the wood rail and pop it out.  I have attached a picture.  Does anybody have an good ideas about how to remove it?

IMG_0398.JPG

Not without some damage. Pulling that trim under the edge of the cabin top looks the most likely.

That's why I don't like finished headliners - I prefer the look of shiny backing plates and acorn nuts.

Sorry this isn't going to be super helpful, but I'd talk to an upholstery guy who is familiar with powerboats especially, since they love to hide things behind those.  I have a very, very  vague memory of a headliner just like that in some of the Meridians, which also looked non removeable but had a sort of a strip that went up in there, and there's a particular type of bar tool they used to set it again I think without marking the edge up.  Sorry it's not more useful, but I mostly remember being surprised they could re&re without damage, and not really paying attention beyond that since it wasn't my problem.    From the same vague memory the workflow was: removed everything that was in the middle, then they started working it from one corner.  

Are you certain that the liner is NOT permanent? If it is a sheet of plywood covered in vinyl, bending it will shorten the distance between the edges. Sometimes some edge trim must be removed to allow an edge to drop, freeing up the other edges. Look around all the edges of the overhead.

I looked at some old photos, the tool actually just looks like a drywall knife.  It had a large space above it, and was over a framework, not similar at all.    Longy's theory sounds good.  Especially since the forward edge doesn't look to have any trim, so that would have made the factory install quick and easy.   I would try that first before pulling trim that could be glued or screwed and plugged.    Or if all else fails, see if you have another (small) section of headliner in the back of a berth or something that looks to be installed the same way so you aren't learning on a high visibility high traffic area, so if you have to replace a section you can do it there instead. 

• Like 1

Take all the fastenings in the centre of the panels out and it will probably sag enough to get it out of its edge restraints.

That is the reverse of how they are installed: if the ply panel is the right size (including upholstery) you just insert the two fore and aft edges into their channels and push up on the centre until not pops into the upward shape, whack in a few screws and head for the bar....