Sign in to follow this  
kdock44

Instrument overhall suggestions

Purchased a Beneteau FC10.  It came with a Signet instrument setup that seems to work intermittently.  The speed and depth traducer were working, but don't seem to have survived the winter, the wind instruments never seemed to work. It has a signet display on the navigation table and two displays on the bulkhead.

I'm really a noob when it comes to sailing instruments and was hoping for some pointers.  We race the boat a bit, but mostly use it for cruising Prince William Sound and the Kenai Fjords.  Most of my navigation is done with OpenCPN on a tablet. 

Looking to get instruments wind instruments for the the boat that could communicate with my raymarine ST4000 autopilot, and integrate with a transducer and speed.  If they could communicate wireless with my tablet through OpenCPN or something else that would be terrific.  

I keep looking at various bundles and am hesitant thinking I could piece a system together.  Hoping for some basic suggestions.

Do you anticipate wanting an upgrade path to performance sailing capabilities or simply depth/speed/wind/heading + autopilot steer to compass/awa/twa?

Well,,,,stay with Raymarine. At least the new stuff will talk to the autopilot stuff. And thier MFD with Lighthouse II have very usable racing programs for the type of racing you might do. And if you want to lessen the amount of wires? Get the GateWay and run Raymarine’s Wireless Readouts?! 

On 5/12/2018 at 4:57 PM, Moonduster said:

Do you anticipate wanting an upgrade path to performance sailing capabilities or simply depth/speed/wind/heading + autopilot steer to compass/awa/twa?

I'm not looking for much of a performance upgrade path.  Just hoping for simplicity and minimal expenses

To get the autopilot to work with any newer stuff, including Raymarines, you will need a Seatalk converter. If you want the autopilot to steer to GPS route and to wind you will need a networked system. Most of use a chartplotter and most chartplotters have wifi to allow use of your tablet. You might be able to build a system with a wifi/network bridge and no chartlplotter, but I am not smart enough to figure that out. All of this adds up pretty fast. To save some money you can get package deals for instruments and look for a older generation stuff,  the Raymaine a and e series plotters work fine and I have seen some good deals recently.

One benefit of all this is the ability to AIS, a meaningful safety feature.