Chunklight

Commander 31 Bianca

Anyone have experience with a Commander 31 Bianca?  Danish boat designed in the late 60's.

One built in 1975 has popped up for sale in Japan advertised as a "Bianca 31" and I'm curious about it.  The lines remind me a little of a Contessa 32 or S&S 34.  Probably a bad idea as a first boat in a place where getting parts and work done is difficult.  Also probably a small interior and wet ride...

But those lines!

bianca_commander_31_drawing.jpg

27 minutes ago, Chunklight said:

Anyone have experience with a Commander 31 Bianca?  Danish boat designed in the late 60's.

One built in 1975 has popped up for sale in Japan advertised as a "Bianca 31" and I'm curious about it.  The lines remind me a little of a Contessa 32 or S&S 34.  Probably a bad idea as a first boat in a place where getting parts and work done is difficult.  Also probably a small interior and wet ride...

But those lines!

bianca_commander_31_drawing.jpg

Good hips, give you many children.

Everything wrong and bad in yacht design ? 6.5 knots upwind &  across the wind and a horror show downwind, still 6.5 knots boatspeed.  no cockpit room ,minimal accommodation ,a waste of raw material ?

40 minutes ago, armchairadmiral said:

Everything wrong and bad in yacht design ? 6.5 knots upwind &  across the wind and a horror show downwind, still 6.5 knots boatspeed.  no cockpit room ,minimal accommodation ,a waste of raw material ?

Oh..those lines...NOT.  No hips, but a beer belly for sure.

Toatally Agree w above:  Downwind you'd be lucky to stay within 20° of course in any breeze over 15 knots.  If not just spinning around and going back where you came from every so often.

Reach-over-the-stove galley.   Toe-tangling vee berth, 

Knee-banger cockpit with ergonomics from hell.  And the helm is actually standing above air.  

The CCA/RORC rules of the 60s had as much to do with designing bad boats as the IOR did in the 70s.  But is would look pretty on a mooring ball in front of a smaller New England manse.

S&S design. I don't have info on the model, though there is a later 31/32 from late 70s early 80s. Bianca later built a range of more modern Kjaerulff designs.

10 minutes ago, cms said:

S&S design. I don't have info on the model, though there is a later 31/32 from late 70s early 80s. Bianca later built a range of more modern Kjaerulff designs.

sailboatdata.com lists the designer as "Knud E. Hansen & Jan Kjærulff"

3 minutes ago, Chunklight said:

sailboatdata.com lists the designer as "Knud E. Hansen & Jan Kjærulff"

http://www.knudehansen.com/

Jan Kjærulff is famous for many sailboats designed in cooperation with Paul Elvstrøm.

Beautiful boat. Looks quite heavy. Would not mind owning one.

I'd recommend you email the designer and ask his opinion. It's always worth doing.

The boat looks like a comfortable well enough mannered sea boat.

Looks like it would go forwards or backwards just the same.

1 hour ago, MikeJohns said:

I'd recommend you email the designer and ask his opinion. It's always worth doing.

Well, Jan Kjlærulff died in 2006, so he might consider a prayer instead of.

If you like that look at a C&C 35.  Better manners better interior better boat

Regarding comments that she wouldn't be fast, that might be true relative to modern racing designs, but it certainly wouldn't be true relative to traditional cruising designs.  I'm sure she could sail circles around a Westsail 32.  She would be a great boat for cruising, and you probably wouldn't have any worries regarding the keel falling off.  In addition to that, she's pretty.

2 hours ago, MikeJohns said:

Elvstrom is gone. Performance would be similar to an early 1/2 tonner I would think. Very low SA/D would hurt in most North American areas.

I believe Kjaerulf did this one before he started his cooperation with Elvstrøm. Together they later did the half- ton winner from 71. 

I also believe that the Commander 31 was Kjerulfs first design but I might be wrong. 

Back then it had a reputation for good quality (Bianca) but also for being slow - even for those days.

Still a good number around in Denmark.

• Like 1

Slow but steady. 

Danish sailer Torben Wancher circumnavigatet in Blåtunge after he retired from work  tok him five years; a lot of the time sailing solo. 

It was his second time around - with more than 30 years between - in the same Commander 31. 

He is not among us anymore, but I believe the boat served him well on both trips. 

Excellent sea boat when the wind is up. 

86788212-D5BF-4482-8181-691D1D3FE64F.jpeg

• Like 2

Its an S&S design called IW 31 in Sweden due to the boat yard who built her. In UK it was called She 31. Most famous boat was "IW" who sailed in Half ton cup -73 or -75. Her bottom was cut of horizontally and got a new flat bottom, together with a fin keel with a bulb of some two meters depth.

I raced an ordinary example in Karlstad "Riks-LYS" (like your PHRF nationals I think) 1993, and Yes, always 6 knots in any direction!!

clash@sailonline

The Kjaerulff designs are later. 1970s, what age was he? S&S, contact them to check.

9 hours ago, clash said:

Its an S&S design called IW 31 in Sweden due to the boat yard who built her. In UK it was called She 31. Most famous boat was "IW" who sailed in Half ton cup -73 or -75. Her bottom was cut of horizontally and got a new flat bottom, together with a fin keel with a bulb of some two meters depth.

I raced an ordinary example in Karlstad "Riks-LYS" (like your PHRF nationals I think) 1993, and Yes, always 6 knots in any direction!!

clash@sailonline

No, it is not a S&S design. The dimensions are not exactly the same. Today you would probably call it a copyright violation though. Then, the designers were heavily inspired ;-)

Slow but steady. 

Danish sailer Torben Wancher circumnavigatet in Blåtunge after he retired from work  tok him five years; a lot of the time sailing solo. 

It was his second time around - with more than 30 years between - in the same Commander 31. 

He is not among us anymore, but I believe the boat served him well on both trips. 

Excellent sea boat when the wind is up. 

Don't know this boat and as mentioned it was an early Bianca and early Kjaerulff design so performance and accommodation is a function of the time but it is what it is.

However we have a mid-80s Bianca 111 that was of the Kjaerulff/Elvstrom era and the build quality is excellent.  

I'm not sure I understand all the hate directed at this era's boats. Sure, they have flaws, and maybe I'm just biased because that's what I said as a kid, but in general if find these boats:

•  Have an easy motion and are reasonably stiff
  • Track well, even downwind, if you're not pressing them hard
  • Easy to sail to an albeit limited hull speed. 
  • Comfortable sea-berths
  • Cockpits that you can sleep in off-watch 
  • Decent stowage 
  • Small but usable underway galleys 

Water, fuel and battery capacities are generally pretty small as are the auxiliaries.  

• Like 1