rch701

V15 Bow stiffening

I took my V15 project on its maiden voyage the other day solo in about 8 knots and 1ft seas and the hull would thunder with every smack on a wave. Granted my weight on the stern causes the bow to rise up a bunch. I did not like the feel of the boat with the impacts. Is this just what to expect for this boat and sailing solo or should I put in some ports and fiberglass in some longitudinal ribs? I plan to add a solo trapeze anyway and would not mind a port near the mast base for its reinforcement.

You might also consider going around the waves. Get your head out of the boat and look for the flat spots. Often there is a pattern to waves. Every seventh wave is often a big one followed by a flat spot. Search for the flat spots and look ahead. I've been sailing on landmines that aren't as maneuverable as a dinghy and one driver, pounding on the waves averages a 4.5 hull speed in 30kts of wind. Another, not banging on the waves, and the average rose to over 6. I do the same thing on my Swift. Oddly, I also search for the flat spots going down wind to avoid running into the wave. We don't surf because we are usually out running the waves.

Vanguard 15's would never win a medal for stiffness.  

This was a cost constraint, because foam core is bloody expensive. 

As a result we settled for the minimum acceptable stiffness and kept the boat light. 30 years later we probably would have made different decisions.

On the other hand, the Zim 15 which had almost the same design brief but with " the things people said they wanted" like a tapered carbon mast, more sophisticated controls and a much stiffer hull has sold almost none.  This tends to confirm that price is king.

SHC

• Like 1

I had the symptoms you describe (thundering over waves) and it was a detatched stringer.

Common enough problem that there was a technical article posted on the (now defunct) national class website to fix it.

I don't recall if there is an inspection port behind the bags so you may need to add one.    Take a look inside,  feel around.  See how well the gluing is holding up.  Mine was poor.  Like 2 globs of plexus at the front of the stringer that were no longer adhered to the hull.

Solution was to put in a large inspection port on each side of the mast base.  Cut a bunch of strips of glass.  Build tools (paint brush with 2 foot handle) to properly attach the front of the stringer to the hull.  When I was done, I had several layers per side and it seems to be holding up pretty good.

V15 has flat sections forward so it never really likes going over waves upwind but at least the unsettling rumbling stopped.

• Like 2

Tenner, Thanks so much! I was thinking that was the problem. The boat was abused a bit. I only paid $200 to go joy riding in it. I would think ports on the deck would give better access than behind the rope bag. What are your thoughts?

Memory is hazy on this but I think that there may be a deck stiffener right up the middle between the mast step and the stem piece so if you go poking holes it might be a good idea to put it to one side or the other. Give me a day and I can take a look and make sure.  If anyone can chime in and save me the effort, that would be appreciated.

In any case.  You should be able to do it with a single port.

1 hour ago, Bruno said:

Cheap optical probes now available to i spect tanks.

Good point. If you want to have a minimally invasive inspection, get a ~$35 boreoscope/endoscope (from amazon or similar) that connects over USB to your computer or phone. Some have lights crowning the camera -- recommended. The cable is stiff, and I sometimes tape it to a thin rod.