Redsail

eSailing World Championship

So, Virtual Regattas inshore game will now host a World Sailing-sanctioned World Championship in eSailing. 

https://www.sailingworld.com/world-sailing-announces-virtual-sailing-championship
http://www.sailing.org/news/86924.php#.WvnsGojRCUk
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/14/sport/sailing-esports-regatta-spt-intl/index.html

My thoughts:

+ This is a great step towards solving the problem of an ever-aging sailing community.
+ I have already spent many hours in this game, and it's good fun.
+ This brings purpose and better competition to the game.

- The game is not quite e-sports ready. The rules need better implementation and explanation, and there are too many bugs in general. 
- It's a bit of an arcade game rather than a simulator.
- The game still does not feel quite done. Even if it just got a big update, it could use some refinement. The controls are still shite.
- In-game purchases. This should not be a factor in an e-game. All boats should be alike. 

In general though, I'm positive. I will spend many hours in this game. 

Link to the game: http://www.virtualregatta.com/en/index_vrinshore.php

28 minutes ago, fprintf said:

How does this all compare to SailX?

Long time since i tried SailX, but i'd say that VR Inshore offers a smoother experience and better gameplay. Perhaps SailX is a better simulator, but I'm not sure.

Ok so I've been an on/off pretty avid SailX sailor in the past, basically took about a year off recently. I used to sail the old-school 2-D way, mostly top-down view. So I'll admit I am biased towards the low-tech, sailing rules heavy format of SailX. 

I will say that this Virtual Regatta Inshore is pretty nice. I haven't explored all the aspects of it yet, having only raced a few races after exploring all the tutorials. It seems simple, the sail controls are virtually none, at least to start, so it is a matter of learning how to steer around the course and optimize your boat based on the games rules. It is not very intuitive how the finance/reward system works for upgrading your boat. And it makes my computer run crazy slow. I have 20GB of RAM and my OS throws up a warning saying that my browser is using a large amount of memory and there are times when it just hiccups. I have a fairly decent down/up speed on my home Internet but I suppose late evening latency could have been causing that - this is not an issue with the much lighter weight sailx IMO. 

Anyway I'm going to continue giving it a try to see if I can climb the rankings a bit. I will be doing this without putting any money into the game, just trying to use the free-to-play method to see if it is possible. 

Why did World Sailing select Virtual Regatta?

SailX is much the better game tactically. It also has much better real world sailors participating......folks like Steve Hunt, Jimmy Spithill, Charles Twombly etc.

• Like 2

Don't know. The more I play it, the worse I'm thinking of it. I need to go back to SailX and get with the 3-D viewer. At least that runs without lag and has some incredible competition. The only thing that scares me is a) the crowds and b) the protest room! 

• Like 1

I've been checking it out a bit, looks light years away from SailX...

• Like 1

Well I need my sailx fix, it really sucks that is just went under completely. So now all we have is Virtual Regatta Inshore. Any other racing simulators to be aware of? 

On 5/15/2018 at 11:55 AM, Mambo Kings said:

Why did World Sailing select Virtual Regatta?

SailX is much the better game tactically. It also has much better real world sailors participating......folks like Steve Hunt, Jimmy Spithill, Charles Twombly etc.

Spithill? Get out!  What was his handle?

19 hours ago, in_TO said:

Spithill? Get out!  What was his handle?

I forget.....it was something obvious.   Jimmy_S or something like that. He was good......turns out he can win online as well as IRL

3 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

I forget.....it was something obvious.   Jimmy_S or something like that. He was good......turns out he can win online as well as IRL

James_S perhaps

Peaked at #2 on April 16, 2016 and was in the top 10 for most of the fall and winter of 2015-16.

Well.. VR is playing a swifty.

Australian sailing suggested we all sign up to VR inshore for a national comp.  Fair enough, its free - except for those who need to organise their club races who need to get the VIP package.  "No worries.. just subscribe and then cancel within the  month, it'll only cost you EU10, it'll be fun" they said.

That's until you try to find the 'unsubscribe' button,  There isn't one, and they're not being particularly responsive.

https://forum.virtualregatta.com/topic/11089-vip-inshore-unsubscribe/

fuckers.

On 5/3/2020 at 1:21 AM, duncan (the other one) said:

Well.. VR is playing a swifty.

Australian sailing suggested we all sign up to VR inshore for a national comp.  Fair enough, its free - except for those who need to organise their club races who need to get the VIP package.  "No worries.. just subscribe and then cancel within the  month, it'll only cost you EU10, it'll be fun" they said.

That's until you try to find the 'unsubscribe' button,  There isn't one, and they're not being particularly responsive.

https://forum.virtualregatta.com/topic/11089-vip-inshore-unsubscribe/

fuckers.

Put it on the Underhills, and have a steak sandwich.

Give me virtual skipper over this any day of the week. So many more boats . Graphics so much better, sailing so much realistic. Just wish it was on phone too.