Sign in to follow this  
QBF

Polish Sailor nearing completion of smallest-engineless Non-Stop RTW

Solo sailor Szymon Kuczyński is sailing non-stop around the world on 22-feet yacht "Atlantic Puffin".

From the Mayflower Marina Facebook page:

Szymon Kuczynski, the Polish Skipper of a 6,36 metres long yacht is set to secure a new world record for the smallest yacht to circumnavigate the globe, non-stop with no engine, when he returns to Mayflower Marina, Plymouth early next week. Szymon, who set sail from Mayflower Marina on August 19th 2017, has spent over 260 days alone at sea on board his yacht ‘Atlantic Puffin’ whilst undertaking his adventurous sailing expedition.

2147218025_CalloftheOcean.jpg.33150fc0c17d24978892429981c08b24.jpg

In an incredible feat of skill and determination the award winning solo sailor has taken a classic sea route round the three famous capes of Africa, Australia and South America, with no outer medical or technical support. Szymon has been living in a space of only 4 square metres for nearly ten months and remarkably accomplished this trip without making any stops to ports.

Szymon Kuczynski, who self-funded the single-handed sea journey, is expected to complete his bold round the world trip on Tuesday 15th May, when he finishes the demanding voyage by passing his original start point at Plymouth Breakwater. The Atlantic Puffin will then dock at Mayflower Marina where Szymon will be welcomed by friends, family and supporters of his ‘Call of the Ocean’ sailing projects.

1909645715_ATLANTICPUFFIN.thumb.jpg.4be74b1044ae2c98b4b2da4982a6624d.jpg

Szymon says ‘The Oceans still remain the most impenetrable places on Earth. No more than 300 people have sailed single-handed round the world and only 80 sailors achieved this without stopovers and any outer backing. My boat is a strong and brave little thing; it goes very well with the wind, even in stormy weather it manages to keep course and gain altitude! I am very much looking forward to seeing Plymouth on the horizon as I complete my world record attempt, thank you to everyone for the outstanding support’.

Szymon Kuczynski's Website: www.zewoceanu.pl

Tracker: https://share.garmin.com/atlanticpuffin

• Like 1

Bravo, well sailed, awesome achievement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hold Fast said:

with these sorts of things i think it helps to be a little crazy. 

hats off to him. 

More than a little!

Szymon Kuczynski today as he successfully completed his world record attempt this morning.

I don't have an exact time at the moment, but I believe the trip was 270 days.

269739716_SzymonKuczynski-Finish.thumb.jpg.953f58f8688162da5310f7235eec8906.jpg

• Like 2

Impressive indeed, especially since his boat "even in stormy weather it manages to keep course and gain altitude". My kite can gain altitude, but I doubt his mini can.

Official Time: Szymon Kuczynski completed his RTW in 270 days, 10 hours and 29 minutes.

Comparison records of Szymon Kuczynski and Alessandro di Benedetto

Szymon Kuczynski
Plymouth, UK to Plymouth, UK
Boat: Northman Maxus 22
6.36m (20ft 10.4in)6.36m (20ft 10.4in)
270 days, 10 hours and 29 minutes

Alessandro di Benedetto (FRA/ITA)
Les Sables-d'Olonne, France to Les Sables-d'Olonne, France
Boat: Class Mini
6.5m (21ft 3.9in) Mini
268 days, 19 hours, 36 minutes, 12 seconds