Sign in to follow this  
madohe

Tom Wolfe DTS

Bonfire of the Vanities was decent, Right Stuff was good too. He had a bit in common with Orwell in that even his novels were written in the style of journalism. I think that his work will age well, but that might take a little while, we first have to forget how dated it is.

He was an original, and one of the greatest observers of our time. Time to re-read much of his great works, particularly his poignant cultural ("Radical Chic," "Mau-Mauing") and artistic ("The Painted Word," "From Bauhaus to Our House") criticisms, the points of which remain true today.

Now THAT's a bummer! One of my all time favorite authors, I've read most of his stuff. 

Anyone read "The Electric Koolaid Acid Test"? Had a lot of trouble wrapping my brain around that one, but perhaps I had to be tripping on acid to understand it.

One thing I admire about Tom Wolfe is he never gave in to the temptation to make money off ghost writers and use his name to spit out garbage like so many other authors do. You could count on every one of his books to be 100% Tom Wolfe.

He'll be missed. 

Vastly entertaining and thought provoking. Unmatched as a social observer. The Right Stuff is the definitive work on The Space Race.

I never understood how he could so perfectly describe being on acid when it was obvious he would never have taken it.

It would be interesting to know how he could gain entree to all those obscure  cultural tribes while wearing a seersucker suit and spats. :D

RIP

. . .will have to have a bowl of Venison Chili in his honor. . .

3 hours ago, Rum Runner said:

Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test - Great one of the greatest books written. 

RIP

Though a very hard book to do an oral book report on in 9th grade back in the early 70's with out raising a few eybrows...  The good sisters of the Immaculate Heart didn't get it...

• Like 1

I read "Kandy Kolored" when it first came out - I was a car crazy kid obsessed with hot rods & custom cars but too young for my license so it hit me hard.

Then "Acid Test" came out when I was "that" age and I thereafter read every word he wrote - usually several times.

I imagine I'll be re-reading all his stuff over the next while.

A writer the likes of Tom Wolfe comes along but a scant few times in a generation.

Oh shit.  I love all of his stuff.  Hard to pick a favorite.  Bonfire of the Vanities was probably more prescient than even he realized.  In the vein of Boswell, Dickens, Twain, et al, who observed and recorded the society of their times.  Brilliant observer and brilliant man.