Sign in to follow this  
Vikingo Olaf

Better buy a well equipped regatta boat or cruised boat with less equipment ?

Hello again.

Of course still searching and since the last discussion I think I got great input I face you now with the next dilemma.

My question is: 

For the same price should I go for the heavily squeezed but well equipped and maintained boat or for the cruiser which probable has had less stress but aswell less maintenance and equipment ?

When searching for the different boats for sale the offers for around same price range from very well equipped versions with gyroautopilot, plenty of sails etc but obviously raced a lot to the cruising orientated owner with less equipment but supposedly less stress suffered aswell.

Of course you must visit and check and survey but before travelling 500 km one way or the other where would you go ?

I would get the boat that has been raced with a full equipment list over a cruiser; sails, autopilots, offshore equipment etc. is expensive compared with an average cruising fit out, and its generally easier to go from race mode to cruising mode than vice versa. That also likely means it hasn't been sitting forever and has had proper maintenance performed year after year. That isn't to say there aren't some fine cruising boats out there nor is it to say all boats that have been raced are ready to race tomorrow. Most of it comes down to the actual owner. I would also look up recent race results, as it is my experience that the boats that win also have the most meticulous preparation and maintenance program.

What is the sound of one hand clapping? 

You can't make an educated guess as to the condition until you actually take a close look at any given boat.  It helps to research and ask around about whether the boat model has any particular strong or weak points - e.g. odd keel structure at risk of failure, transom that tends to de-laminate, etc.  Some successful race boats are beat to hell and completely wrung out; some scruffy looking cruisers are actually in very good nick.  This is why you always hear "get a good survey!"  It's too risky to generalize.