Sign in to follow this  
Wet Spreaders

Trigger finger

I was plinking with my buddies' BuckMark 22LR pistol. It's a pretty nice piece and surprisingly accurate. One item of note - my finger could not decide whether to use the pad or first crease to pull the trigger. I like to use the pad and I find that I can get more accuracy and consistency when shooting using my finger pad, but the natural place for my finger on the trigger was the first crease.

Is there a conventional wisdom of whether to use crease or pad to shoot? If you have a long trigger finger, do you change the grips, backstrap or something else to make the gun fit right?

I change grips to get the right feel of the gun in my hand. I have really large hands so I learned long ago to use the pad of the index finger.

WL

PS

Others will be along shortly to crucify you for starting a gun thread. It seems to be a bit like throwing a steak into a pack of starving hyenas.

When I was shooting competitively, I used the pad and as close to a repeatable 0.5 lb release as I could dial in.  Accuracy comes from the old saw of “sight alignment and trigger control”. Gun should surprise you a bit when it fires as you squeeze the trigger but few non competition pistols have that kind of smooth and repeatable trigger release. Most commercial pistols have trigger pull at 2 lbs or more and that force pushes off your control. 

My now somewhat dated experience of match shooting says use the pad. Sometimes that requires custom grips or at least trying multiple grips until you get the right fit in your hand. For a friend’s gun, that’s extreme so do what feels the most natural and have fun. 

If this is the "kind" of tool you might want to own, shop several brands that offer the same quality/accuracy and test the grip of each.

28 minutes ago, warbird said:

If this is the "kind" of tool you might want to own, shop several brands that offer the same quality/accuracy and test the grip of each.

Yes - I don't think I mentioned this in the original post. The only 22LR automatic you can buy in California at the moment is the BuckMark because it's grandfathered in from before the rule came in that requires the unique ammo stamping feature. That means if I buy a 22LR pistol for target practice and I want it to fit, I need to frig about to get my finger pad on the trigger instead of the first finger crease, which probably means adjusting the grip somehow. Maybe best to chat with the gun shop guys when/if I decide to buy.

1 hour ago, warbird said:

Call it a fuckin' GUN otherwise YOU sound like a tool.

3 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Yes - I don't think I mentioned this in the original post. The only 22LR automatic you can buy in California at the moment is the BuckMark because it's grandfathered in from before the rule came in that requires the unique ammo stamping feature. That means if I buy a 22LR pistol for target practice and I want it to fit, I need to frig about to get my finger pad on the trigger instead of the first finger crease, which probably means adjusting the grip somehow. Maybe best to chat with the gun shop guys when/if I decide to buy.

There might be a variety of aftermarket grips. And....if you find some for a 1902 Webley .455 revover let me know please.

3 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

DUCT TAPE..... add 2 to 3 layers at a time to the back of the grip.......

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, warbird said:

it is more about your game...than your accouterment's ...when caps are popping

1 hour ago, warbird said:

I have some carbon left over from making instrument covers (NKE's OEM covers are shit). Maybe I can make some kind of sexy custom molded carbon appendage for the back strap using an evacuated ziploc full of home made 5 minute prepreg. 

9 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

I have some carbon left over from making instrument covers (NKE's OEM covers are shit). Maybe I can make some kind of sexy custom molded carbon appendage for the back strap using an evacuated ziploc full of home made 5 minute prepreg. 

Start with something temporary (like duct tape, foam tape, riggers tape) and when you get the spacing and thickness (I would guess Both are important) then mold up CF or carve walnut.

I shoot a pistol competitively(Bullseye or NRA precision pistol).  I used to use a Buckmark (have 2 in the safe) but got tired of contending with the grip angle change when going to a 1911.  Using the pad of your finger yields inconsistent trigger control due to the compression of the pad.  I found that right at the joint works better for me.  Less variability due to compression and fewer joints involved in the movement.  Cutting down on the variables is important when trying to find the 3/4" x-ring 50 feet away.  It takes time to get acclimated to a change in your trigger handling.  I also use a roll trigger rather than a breaking trigger.  Btw Altamont  makes nice grips for the Buckmark.

On 5/16/2018 at 12:13 PM, Point Break said:

Oh, this will be entertaining. 3, 2,  1..........

This will be fine, the entertainment is down the hall.......

Pad

8 hours ago, ease the sheet said:

This will be fine, the entertainment is down the hall.......

Apparently so.......I’m surprised.....not displeased but surprised. 

18 hours ago, warbird said:

There might be a variety of aftermarket grips. And....if you find some for a 1902 Webley .455 revover let me know please.

Give me your address.  I know some vandals that would like to drop off a pre-1898 H&R .455 Webley revolver. . .

5 hours ago, bplipschitz said:

Give me your address.  I know some vandals that would like to drop off a pre-1898 H&R .455 Webley revolver. . .

Send it to my yacht club, I'll pick it up. My son has the Webley now. It is original .455 not modified for .45. He uses a black powder load. Smokes out the line at his range. Grips are broken, new ones would be nice.

Just now, warbird said:

Send it to my yacht club, I'll pick it up. My son has the Webley now. It is original .455 not modified for .45. He uses a black powder load. Smokes out the line at his range. Grips are broken, new ones would be nice.

This one has a wee corner off the grip, and is serial(?) number 10 underneath them.

6 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

This one has a wee corner off the grip, and is serial(?) number 10 underneath them.

That may be a ~$2500 peice of history.

8 minutes ago, warbird said:

That may be a ~$2500 peice of history.

Nope (unless <ahem> you'd like to depart with that kind of jack for it).  H&Rs are pretty run-of-the mill, and even though this revolver is kinda unique among all the specimens available, no one is really interested in it.

On 5/17/2018 at 4:47 AM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

I usually find my middle finger , upright, in nice slow even strokes works best..

I think many of the gun club get each other to pull their triggers for them. The conventional thinking about changing hands every hundred pulls doesn't count because they have shot all their bullets well before they get to that.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

Nope (unless <ahem> you'd like to depart with that kind of jack for it).  H&Rs are pretty run-of-the mill, and even though this revolver is kinda unique among all the specimens available, no one is really interested in it.

No,, I gifted it to my son. His research suggested the 2-2.5k  I did not research so I will take your word for it. It is interesting in an "Indiana Jones"sort of way. He enjoys the black powder show from his loads.  His other pieces get a lot more use.

1 hour ago, bplipschitz said:

This is not an H&R. It is a .455 top break revolver. Additionally, the bottom of the grip is rounded so it is earlier than a MkVI. I may be incorrect on the 1903, it could be 1890s. Regardless, many Webleys imported were machined to accept .45 rounds, this is in original .455 form. That said, these are small weapons(tools) and likely could not long withstand modern .45 pressure loads. Son loads a low pressure black powder mix simulating a "light" 1900s load. He claims decent groupings at 25 yards.

18 hours ago, kgs113 said:

I shoot a pistol competitively(Bullseye or NRA precision pistol).  I used to use a Buckmark (have 2 in the safe) but got tired of contending with the grip angle change when going to a 1911.  Using the pad of your finger yields inconsistent trigger control due to the compression of the pad.  I found that right at the joint works better for me.  Less variability due to compression and fewer joints involved in the movement.  Cutting down on the variables is important when trying to find the 3/4" x-ring 50 feet away.  It takes time to get acclimated to a change in your trigger handling.  I also use a roll trigger rather than a breaking trigger.  Btw Altamont  makes nice grips for the Buckmark.

Unfortunately Altamont don't make grips for URX and I really like the sexy 7.5" Aluminum barrel with the machined grooves in it, which is what I just bought. 8 days to go....

11 hours ago, Point Break said:

Apparently so.......I’m surprised.....not displeased but surprised. 

What happens there,  stays there. About the only thing the participants respect is the innocents in the other forum. Otherwise,  its still the same.....

You're missed, kinda like an old uncle......

1 hour ago, ease the sheet said:

What happens there,  stays there. About the only thing the participants respect is the innocents in the other forum. Otherwise,  its still the same.....

You're missed, kinda like an old uncle......

Thanks Ease. I often feel like an old uncle anymore so that could be an apt comparison. :lol:

14 hours ago, warbird said:

This is not an H&R. It is a .455 top break revolver. Additionally, the bottom of the grip is rounded so it is earlier than a MkVI. I may be incorrect on the 1903, it could be 1890s. Regardless, many Webleys imported were machined to accept .45 rounds, this is in original .455 form. That said, these are small weapons(tools) and likely could not long withstand modern .45 pressure loads. Son loads a low pressure black powder mix simulating a "light" 1900s load. He claims decent groupings at 25 yards.

Cool!  I don't think mine was ever retooled.  I tried to slug the barrel, and it seems to measure more like. .455

Mine seems to tick all the boxes for being pre_1897, when H&R moved to octagonal barrels (I think those dates & facts are correct, going from memory)

On 5/16/2018 at 11:20 AM, Rum Runner said:

First scene was better

On 5/19/2018 at 5:18 AM, nacradriver said:

First scene was better

I gots ta know.....

On 5/17/2018 at 2:53 PM, kgs113 said:

Imagine how hard it would be for us non gun nuts- you know with normal sized hands...

On 5/18/2018 at 6:28 PM, warbird said:

This is what it looks like.

IMG952018051895182251334.jpg

Schweet -- I'll see if I can conjure up some pics of mine.

On 5/20/2018 at 5:37 PM, LB 15 said:

Imagine how hard it would be for us non gun nuts- you know with normal sized hands...

I'm sorry to hear that your hands are so much smaller than mine. Now move along

On 5/17/2018 at 4:48 PM, Wet Spreaders said:

Unfortunately Altamont don't make grips for URX and I really like the sexy 7.5" Aluminum barrel with the machined grooves in it, which is what I just bought. 8 days to go....

That is a nice lookin' gun. A buddy has an older Buck Mark that is a great shooter.

I bought a S&W Victory last year after looking at the Buck Mark and Ruger Mk IV. I wanted to like the Mk IV 22/45 but it was too gimmicky.

11 hours ago, Autonomous said:

That is a nice lookin' gun. A buddy has an older Buck Mark that is a great shooter.

I bought a S&W Victory last year after looking at the Buck Mark and Ruger Mk IV. I wanted to like the Mk IV 22/45 but it was too gimmicky.

friend of mine was  a Buckmark collector,  I had the Mark II bull barrel.. but I've changed the grips out form fitting target versions

not my pistol..

wm_9784484.jpg