TartanJess

Need advice on modification to increase storage space Tartan 30

Hello Sailing Anarchy. I am new to this site but have heard it's a great place for advice from other sailors. I recently bought a 1974 Tartan 30 which I now live on. It has a space in the interior, under the cockpit on the starboard side that is somewhat useless to me as is. I've attached some photos of what I'm talking about. It's a large space but there is a wall with a small square opening separating it. The wall doesn't appear to be load bearing, but I am not familiar enough with the boat to know for sure. Ideally I would like to cut the hole larger (or even remove the wall) and gain that storage space. Being that I live on the boat, more storage would make a huge difference. Does anyone have experience with this? Has anyone else removed a similar wall in their boat? The port side does not have the same wall so it leads me to believe that if that side is stable with just the fiberglass, the other side would be too. Thanks in advance for the advice! I appreciate any help here being a newbie and all!

IMG-2387.JPG

IMG-2389.JPG

Isn't that space accessible externally via a cockpit locker?

There are multiple Tartan 30 interior layouts, some others have two quarterberths and no cockpit lockers and that space is open.  Look around for interior photos to see how it is configured.

Your T30 has the aft galley, it should have an access hatch to the icebox in the starboard cockpit bench. I suspect that the wall you mention is part of the support for the icebox which when full of ice and food could be heavy. In the other T30 layout the galley takes up the starboard salon and there is a second quarterberth on the starboard side. In that configuration the aft area you photographed is completely open with out a wall or bulkhead. All told I doubt that small wall is needed for hull or deck support.

Thank you guys for the responses and advice! That Ajax feed is pretty interesting. I'll need more time to get through all of the info in there. So my boat does have the cockpit lockers, but you can't quite get all the way through to that open space from the cockpit. After looking more closely I think you are right Steele. The wall looks like it supports the ice box on the side. I may get creative here and  just enlarge the hole a bit rather than taking out the whole wall. Thank you guys again for the responses! I'll post how it goes once I make whatever modifications I end up making. Thanks!