fsiljelof

B&G H5000 Pilot calibration

I’m struggling with my H5000 pilot calibration. I have a B&G H5000 pilot, controlling a T1 linear drive, compass is a Precision 9 also providing heel. My boat is a Prima 38, very very responsive to rudder change.

Autotuning “succeeds”, however – after autotuning, the boat is struggling to stay on course, to much rudder movement to often and when changing, course 90 degrees or so, it overshoots a few degrees, but trying to correct it just keeps making larger and larger corrections – never settling on the new course.

Setting the motor output to 90%, and turning the Rudder gain down to 0.15 degrees gives me a pretty straight line if I start from a stable course. However, when changing course, the same problem occurs, after a couple of degrees overshoot, the pilot keeps correcting with larger and larger movements and fails to settle on the new course.

I’v tried changing the Counter rudder, trying both the minimum 0.5 seconds and the 15 seconds maximum value and several settings in between, changing counter rudder seams to have little influence, still after a couple of degrees overshoot, corrections are increasingly larger leading to a very unstable course swinging back and forth.

The rudder feedback and the compass are working fine (I can see the rudder angles and heading changing in the H5000 pilot controller display). All sources are selected in configuration.

Rudder is calibrated with max port/ starboard and mid.  Rudder test is a success. Drive is 12v, vessel length is 11.8 meters, rudder deadband is auto

Response is: Perf 1, Auto response: economy, Recovery: medium.

Any ideas on what to change?

Your comments  "keeps making larger and larger corrections" and " corrections are increasingly larger leading to a very unstable course swinging back and forth." 

suggest you have a phase shift (system lag) that is giving you  positive feedback with likely too much gain leading to the larger swings. 

see this for general PID https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller#Response_to_disturbances

You might reduce the output drive signal strength to where the autopilot is understeering and approaches new course without overshoot. 

If you engage the pilot you shouldn’t not be able to turn the wheel. With the pilot engaged  try to move the steering, any more than a quarter inch move,ent on the ram could mean you have air in the system.  Your symptoms are similar to this. Also make sure the ram is absolutely locked in place with no movement and the rudder feedback is secure. You can do all these tests at the dock in rudder mode. Good luck.

I experienced a similar issue with the unit steering like a snake. My suggestion is to carry out a factory reset from A Zeus unit. This fixed my problem but before you do this write down all the settings to ensure you use all the same setup settings after the reset.