europa

UV Protection

I have a new boat, a Raider II Turbo, that I plan to start using soon on Lake Champlain. I want to protect the topsides from UV damage, but was wondering whether the waxes or sealants that are recommended for this will make the deck/cockpit too slippery. In my reading, it appears that sealants are a better choice on a new boat, and Meguiar's M21 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant was one of the recommendations. Anyone with experience with this or other products care to comment?

4 hours ago, europa said:

I have a new boat, a Raider II Turbo, that I plan to start using soon on Lake Champlain. I want to protect the topsides from UV damage, but was wondering whether the waxes or sealants that are recommended for this will make the deck/cockpit too slippery. In my reading, it appears that sealants are a better choice on a new boat, and Meguiar's M21 Mirror Glaze Synthetic Sealant was one of the recommendations. Anyone with experience with this or other products care to comment?

The most important thing you can do for UV is to put a cover over the boat when you are not sailing

• Like 1

Christian, thanks for the reply. The only cover I have now is a travel cover, to be used when the mast is not stepped. It is a very heavy Sunbrella fabric, and I might be able to have it modified with a zipper to one side and a place for the mast to pass through. But I know that  a lighter fabric would be better for frequent use. However, is there something lighter that can still protect from the sun?

12 hours ago, europa said:

https://permanon.com/en/products-brands/surface-protection.html

permanon was developed  for the aircraft industry ......protects  aircraft paints from high altitude  UV

you mix it with distilled water ... apply it as a mist with a Windex type spray bottle , then wipe is off with a microfiber type cloth 

easy to use . 

The stuff is expensive and concentrated .  

One bottle will last you for many many years on your small boat 

you should contact the company and find out is they sell it in small quantities

you can also google SI14 ,  the nanoparticle in permanon that provides the protection 

many other products are usung this nano particle 

permanon is nice because it is so easy to use...wash the boat , mist it with permanon , wipe off with microfiber cloth and you are done 

On 5/16/2018 at 1:54 PM, Christian said:

The most important thing you can do for UV is to put a cover over the boat when you are not sailing

as an owner of a boat in texas,  you can slap all sorts of whale snot onto your boat, but with constant sun exposure, they'll wear out quickly and have to be reapplied..   a cover in texas will last about 4 years and is the only thing that'll keep the gelcoat in good condition..   you should be able to add a zipper and a collar to allow for the mast to stick out...   if it's not something you want to do, our fleet has worked with sailor tailor and been quite happy, they could either modify what you have or build what you need..

On 5/16/2018 at 3:59 PM, europa said:

Christian, thanks for the reply. The only cover I have now is a travel cover, to be used when the mast is not stepped. It is a very heavy Sunbrella fabric, and I might be able to have it modified with a zipper to one side and a place for the mast to pass through. But I know that  a lighter fabric would be better for frequent use. However, is there something lighter that can still protect from the sun?

Yes there are several.  A heavy top means you're more likely to start half-assing the job sooner instead of putting it on all the time.  I'm trying to remember the name of it, but there's a lighter weight version with a soft brushed finish inside, we get all our large boat covers made from it.  Nice over brightwork etc. 

For sun protection I would also make sure you get a light colour, preferably one with a bit of variation to it, the solid colours show dirt much quicker, and dark colours seem to fade sooner and get hotter. 

Once a year give it a really good wash inside and out, and a light mist of 303 fabric guard, only on the outside.   Somewhere I have a couple samples of canvas, one sprayed with fabric guard, the other neglected.  The neglected one still looked good after a few years, but when you put it beside the treated one the difference is obvious. 

If you're not going to use the top and want to rely on a wax product, my two favorites are Collignite 885 fleetwax, and 3m scotch brand liquid marine wax.  The former is much better lasting, and also easier to deal with if you have to do touch ups, the latter is fast and easy to apply but more care required in de-waxing for gelcoat touch ups.    Even if you do get a top made, waxing is still important.  I use a light coat of 303 aerospace protectant on shiny non-skid, buffed off immediately.  Seems less slippery than wax, and the manufacturer says it provides UV protection.  I know it works on vinyl windows, but I haven't done any of my own test panels of it vs wax on gelcoat yet. 

Keeping on top of your polishing matters too.  With top: If you go over it once every couple years with Presta ultra cutting creme(or a distant second these days, 3m Imperial rubbing compound) then every 5 or when you start to see variations in gloss hit it with a round of presta super cut instead.

Without top: ultra cutting creme every year, super cut every few(works here in the PNW, I suspect you get a lot more UV though.)

However by the time you add up all the labour and materials saved for the extra cleaning and polishing for not having a proper canvas, it's cheaper to get the top.   Doesn't mean you don't need to maintain your gelcoat, but means the same effort will go a lot farther. 

On 5/16/2018 at 8:48 PM, slug zitski said:

https://permanon.com/en/products-brands/surface-protection.html

permanon was developed  for the aircraft industry ......protects  aircraft paints from high altitude  UV

you mix it with distilled water ... apply it as a mist with a Windex type spray bottle , then wipe is off with a microfiber type cloth 

easy to use . 

The stuff is expensive and concentrated .  

One bottle will last you for many many years on your small boat 

you should contact the company and find out is they sell it in small quantities

you can also google SI14 ,  the nanoparticle in permanon that provides the protection 

many other products are usung this nano particle 

permanon is nice because it is so easy to use...wash the boat , mist it with permanon , wipe off with microfiber cloth and you are done 

Any idea how this compares to NanoShell?  The last two cruise ships we did windows on they specced them being coated with NanoShell but the importer has since gone out of business.  I always wanted to try it on regular boats for salt buildup/pitting on the windshields.  I'm not sure I'd want to use it on the hulls though, it seemed fairly impervious to solvents, and that would make repairs challenging.    I also was somewhat skeptical of the idea that it required no PPE, many nano particles seem to have been determined to be more of an issue healthwise than expected(in sunscreen etc).   I made sure everyone wore gloves and applied with a sponge instead of a mist to reduce breathing it in.