Editor

by the numbers

Minnie-illustration.jpg

This is really something. Something that we don't have any idea what it is.

instead of a removable bowsprit, they went with a removable bow ?

what does it rate ?

I totally missed the dual mast set up, no boom to mess up lounging in the cockpit

Remember someone built this A frame mast boat back in the 90's or so?  Red hull, about 60 ft.  Freak of a boat.

Vitali, your stability calculations are all wrong. Moreover, the bow fell off!

F.

3 minutes ago, Boudreaux said:

Remember someone built this A frame mast boat back in the 90's or so?  Red hull, about 60 ft.  Freak of a boat.

Procyon.  A demo boat for an electronics company I think. (can't remember who)

• Like 1

when ordering in comes in this wrapping:

index.jpg.ab1a9f15a2dfb6bef3dea082b990448b.jpg

1 hour ago, Veeger said:

Last saw that thing in Shilshole Marina maybe 15 years ago.  Amazing amount of tubes and struts in the air.  Maybe four sails on furlers and lots of complicated bits and pieces.  All to avoid some of those pesky shrouds. 

Never saw it sailing.  Still around?

I dunno; maybe it will all work together just fine.  Everyone laughed at the scow-bow of the winning Mini Transat, too.

Bernd Kohler has some multihull designs with A-frame masts (fiberglass flagpoles, no less!)  And Chris White is doing cool stuff with headsail-only catamarans.

Maybe they could make it out of exterior ply for low cost, attach dual keels for tidal area cruising, and stick on foils for high-wind airborne racing, and everyone will be happy!

5 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

THE NEXT VOLVO RACE  BOAT DESIGN 

Maybe!  I ultimately think it has merit.  Eliminating the main is what Chris White has been working on and for a cruiser, well, I'd be open.... The Ed posted a nice cartoon but on the website, there's a bit more refined concept boat... plus a few other, umm, 'interesting' design thought experiments....

http://www.vitalidesign.com/gallery.html#

Confused why you are called sailing anarchy, unless it is some yawn fest of a keel boat pretending to be a dinghy you just take the piss. 

Clearly it a mast aft sailboat with furling headsails so you can go sailing without people sitting on the rail. It has a replaceable bow bumper which can be replaced if damaged, a concept used on cars. 

Vitali design come from a more style approach to design but has some credibility in that they designed the Open BIC - probably the most successful starter boat since the Optimist 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Last saw that thing in Shilshole Marina maybe 15 years ago.  Amazing amount of tubes and struts in the air.  Maybe four sails on furlers and lots of complicated bits and pieces.  All to avoid some of those pesky shrouds. 

I think I saw it and spoke with the owner at Treasure Island in SF Bay during the summer of 2015. They were living aboard and getting ready to head south. Black hull, white wishbone mast, with lots of cruising gear.

53 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Procyon Amoco.   Had come down to Tampa Bay to get a keel redesign to work in shallower water in the late 80s.   I don't remember the timeline, but the boat caught on fire and had a rebuild, either before or after the keel job.   Boat has an articulating keel (side to side) and a considerable amount of batteries below deck to drive the keel, winches, furlers.   I toured it at one of the florida boat shows shortly after she had been built.   Interior was more modern like.

- Stumbling

4 minutes ago, stumblingthunder said:

Procyon Amoco.   Had come down to Tampa Bay to get a keel redesign to work in shallower water in the late 80s.   I don't remember the timeline, but the boat caught on fire and had a rebuild, either before or after the keel job.   Boat has an articulating keel (side to side) and a considerable amount of batteries below deck to drive the keel, winches, furlers.   I toured it at one of the florida boat shows shortly after she had been built.   Interior was more modern like.

- Stumbling

Correction, Amoco Procyon.

procyon-jpg.5349

- Stumbling

1 minute ago, stumblingthunder said:

Correction, Amoco Procyon.

procyon-jpg.5349

- Stumbling

Upon further google review, looks like the keel job was done in the mid 90s.   Boat was doing the boat show circuits in 1991.

BfLSSBDCQAEc0oL.jpg

- Stumbling

These sorts of rigs get tried yet again from time to time. First I saw was Firebrand (or something like that), about 1970, designed by the famous aerodynamicist Arvel Gentry. Many others since.

None have performed better than the "old fashioned" single mast with shrouds: that is why you hardly ever see this kind of rig. If it actually worked, you would see it all over. You don't for several good reasons. Structurally, it much heavier. Aerodynamically, its much worse (the mast in front of the main is actually not a disadvantage -- that's measurable science speaking there). The loss of mast bend as a tool for aero control is a big handicap.

There are advantages of course. But the disadvantages are real too. In the end, the cost (more) .vs. benefit (worse) analysis rejects this kind of rig.

1 hour ago, stumblingthunder said:

- Stumbling

I was sleeping on a different boat about a hundred feet away when Procyon caught fire. Firemen are annoying when you’re tired. 

3 hours ago, Veeger said:

Not quite electronics. Harken. 

• Like 1

A good buddy of mine brought that Procyon boats weird rig down once upon a time. The remains ended up behind the Windsurfing shack on St Thomas. First big carbon mast I had seen. 

23 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Not quite electronics. Harken. 

THAT'S who it was... I almost was gonna say that but, well, I didn't really care who it was since it was so long ago...

9 minutes ago, Veeger said:

THAT'S who it was... I almost was gonna say that but, well, I didn't really care who it was since it was so long ago...

It was certainly an ugly bird. 

the front fell off...

So they designed a boat from the part that Phil Bolger threw away?

As I recall, it’s called an A frame rig that was on the older designs. Nothing new, but good on some cat designs. Don’t see the advantage of all that windage aloft

Procyon:

There were several companies behind it, Harken was the main one. It was supposed to represent 'the boat of the future'.  It's market was aimed at  retired cruising snowbird couples..  The bipod mast was intended to make lowering it easy for fixed bridges on ICW. The hull was laid up at Windship Yachts in Tampa. OH Rodgers was the project manager. I forgot the designer...Hoyt maybe? There were actually 3 canting keels made. The first, by the designer, didn't work properly. OH designed the second, with a new pivot. OH also designed the third, a shoal draft version. As reported in magazines, the boat sailed reasonably well. Faster than cruising boats of 30 years ago. Slower than crewed racing boats of the time. Probably slower than a performance cruiser of today. Public gawked, but little interest. Too weird and too expensive.

• Like 2

Sure the appendages and rig are fucked, but those hull lines aren't too far off a quick 6.5 mini.

22 hours ago, Editor said:

Minnie-illustration.jpg

This is really something. Something that we don't have any idea what it is.

With a rig like that it must be a hunter. After all they are just the mast supports a little longer that they normally are.

pulpit 

Respect all scows!