Sign in to follow this  
Meat Wad

9 yrs and no more attempts??

It may seem that the traditionalists feel that Land Sailing is much like Kite Boarding.................it's not really sailing.

Sailing:
Any Craft on land, water, ice or in the air, that uses a Soft or Hard Foil that creates a pressure differential to create lift is sailing.

35 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

It may seem that the traditionalists feel that Land Sailing is much like Kite Boarding.................it's not really sailing.

Sailing:
Any Craft on land, water, ice or in the air, that uses a Soft or Hard Foil that creates a pressure differential to create lift is sailing.

Sorry bud - disagree with you there.  Land "Sailing" is just as much sailing as hang gliding, parachuting, flying glider planes and the like - as in not at all.

If that thing was floating no-one would question it was sailing.

Which it is.

No different than ice boats.

The difference between sailing and Landsailing is that landsailing is much faster, much more thrilling, and way more fun than wet sailing. My $3000 Manta twin had roughly the same performance envelope as the AC72 foilers except it's a bit faster .

Every sailor should get some seat time in a dirt boat or ice boat.

Seriously, it's a revelation. 

• Like 1

my very experienced monohull sailing friend told me once that apparent wind sailing is a different sport! (as in skiffs, cats or anything that would not carry a symmetrical spinnaker DDW)

in the end, I tend to agree, if it feels different enough that people would never entertain trying, then you can say it´s a different sport  

3 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

Alrighty then. <_<

For example: 

project-903-image1.jpg

Or:

91625-004-D4934C18.jpg

Or:

Stearman-N63301.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Svanen said:

Alrighty then. <_<

For example:

91625-004-D4934C18.jpg

Yep - SAILplane.

The other two were powered.

Doesn’t matter, though: according to our friend Meat Wad’s definition, “sailing” requires only the use of a foil to create lift.

26 minutes ago, Svanen said:

Doesn’t matter, though: according to our friend Meat Wad’s definition, “sailing” requires only the use of a foil to create lift.

Its worth adding the rider that it must also make use of the difference in velocity between the surface it rests on or in and air moving relatively to it. A glider, for example, doesn't do that, it uses gravity and air.

So water and air, land and air, ice and air its all about using lift devices to extract energy from the difference in velocity of the two media.

1 hour ago, JimC said:

Its worth adding the rider that ...

Refer to post #1. :P Too late to change the definition now!

On 5/16/2018 at 11:05 AM, jackolantern said:

Someone should tell the US navy that their nuclear powered subs have a sail and are actually sailboats according to Dawg

1848F3EA-512C-4603-9F50-FD6E0BCBC56D.gif

On 5/16/2018 at 11:55 AM, monsoon said:

Does the wind make it go?  Then, sweet.

If it produces enough lift to move with out the reactor powered up yes, that it is sailing.
But somehow I doubt it.
Nice try

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

If it produces enough lift to move with out the reactor powered up yes, that it is sailing.
But somehow I doubt it.
Nice try

I think that this and other example were provided to show the weakness in your original definition.

The problem was that it made no mention of being wind powdered:

On 5/16/2018 at 12:21 PM, Meat Wad said:

Sailing:

The sub has several hard foils  which create pressure differentials to create lift, including the props. This definition doesn't seem to preclude turning the foils with a nuclear reactor.

13 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

I think that this and other example were provided to show the weakness in your original definition.

The problem was that it made no mention of being wind powdered:

The sub has several hard foils  which create pressure differentials to create lift, including the props. This definition doesn't seem to preclude turning the foils with a nuclear reactor.

You and the other naysayers are so literal that I am thinking either you are in high school or an attorney. According to you Airplane racing should be in the sailing Olympics. Seems a great way to destroy sailing.

I should have said:

Any Craft on land, water, ice or in the air, that uses only a Soft or Hard Foil that creates a pressure differential to create lift and thus provide thrust for the purpose of propulsion is sailing.

You know my comment was against those who do not consider anything other than traditional sailing, as Sailing. Nonn of the other instances provided by you guys is sailing and you know it.
Keep it up and we will destroy our sport from within.

But the question still remains, With all the money spent on going extremely slow why has no one tried to go after the 126.4 certified record.
And yes, I know Ice boating is faster but getting the right conditions is really tough compared to the Dry Lake of Ivanpah and I have not heard of a certified Ice boating record. Though I have not really looked because I hate being cold.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

You and the other naysayers are so literal that I am thinking either you are in high school or an attorney. According to you Airplane racing should be in the sailing Olympics. Seems a great way to destroy sailing.

I'm not a naysayer at all, I actually fully agree with your position on this.

I just read the thread its full of people who read your definition and threw out examples that fit it, but totally went against your intention, I was pointing out why the thread took the direction it did, sorry I offended you by offering an explanation. Posts #14 through #17 are a good example of how this got derailed.

In my experience understanding why things happen helps to ensure that they don't happen the same way again, whereas simply insulting people who offer suggestions tends not to improve anything.

After over 50 years sailing just about anything I have to say that I now find water sailing to be slow, boring and way wetter compared to my Blokart.

I've done 85kph on a narrow beach in my Blokart and that compares with any ride I ever had water sailing. And it's a heap cheaper.

Was that record at Ivanpah in MPH?

Any confirmation of the 'new' Blokart record? I've heard some wild figures but seen no talk or vids.

6 minutes ago, cosmicsedso said:

After over 50 years sailing just about anything I have to say that I now find water sailing to be slow, boring and way wetter compared to my Blokart.

I've done 85kph on a narrow beach in my Blokart and that compares with any ride I ever had water sailing. And it's a heap cheaper.

Any confirmation of the 'new' Blokart record? I've heard some wild figures but seen no talk or vids.

Yes indeed.

126+ mph

6 hours ago, cosmicsedso said:

Hmmm - I have a rig for a windsurfer in my garage - knowing nothing about the BloKarts - would this be enough sail area to make a trike cart go? 

59 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Hmmm - I have a rig for a windsurfer in my garage - knowing nothing about the BloKarts - would this be enough sail area to make a trike cart go? 

Windsurfer rig works just fine on a mountain board.

43 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Mountain Board - like a big skateboard w/offroad wheels? 

Yup,   

Last tried it on the beach at weston super mare..... ton of fun.

Ive used the kite with it much more, also a lot of fun.

2 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

Yup,   

Last tried it on the beach at weston super mare..... ton of fun.

Ive used the kite with it much more, also a lot of fun.

I used to skate a LOT as a kid - dating myself with this, but, my 1st board was a Bahne deck, with spring excalibur trucks, and sims pure juice wheels.  I'm 52 now, and my back's a little brittle after getting off a motorcycle before I intended to a couple years ago.  I like the idea of the kart, but, not sure I could do the board anymore. 

54 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I used to skate a LOT as a kid - dating myself with this, but, my 1st board was a Bahne deck, with spring excalibur trucks, and sims pure juice wheels.  I'm 52 now, and my back's a little brittle after getting off a motorcycle before I intended to a couple years ago.  I like the idea of the kart, but, not sure I could do the board anymore. 

You only have one year on me...... but I understand the concern.

The blokart looks like a good option for a buggy,

If you want to blat around on a tricycle kart, personally I would stick with a traction kite rather than a sail rig, stability is less of a concern as the kite just applies a direct traction with no applied moment at the connection point.

1 minute ago, JohnMB said:

You only have one year on me...... but I understand the concern.

The blokart looks like a good option for a buggy,

If you want to blat around on a tricycle kart, personally I would stick with a traction kite rather than a sail rig, stability is less of a concern as the kite just applies a direct traction with no applied moment at the connection point.

I understand that - good point, and thanks for taking the time to entertain the question! 

10 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Sail area is not rhe final consideration to going fast(er)

At higher speeds drag is the problem, so generally the more wind = smaller sails.

The fastest speeds in a Blokart come when using the 2sqm sail!

18 hours ago, cosmicsedso said:

There is no actual verification of a Blokart Record, as you need multiple devices recording that have been tested and verified as accurate.

Having said that, I know the people who claim to have the new record and I doubt they are lying. But it is not verifiable.per a real recordable record.

I think we need a "Mavericks" type event at Ivanpah with a proper weather forecaster sending a call out for the BIG WIND., Complete with courses and GPS along with timed distances to verify. Judges will be needed. Of course this would all cost money which, the land sailing group who are just a bunch of desert rats who have given up the expensive sport of sailing on water, do not want to spend. So finding something marketable would be the key in making this happen. Call it a Speed Week over a period of time.

Yes, time would be needed.