Glenn McCarthy

Are black measurement bands on the boom and mast still required?

25 minutes ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Good grief......I challenge anyone to watch all 19 minutes of that video without fast forwarding.

5 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Question relates to LMPHRF and ORR racing.  Please provide the link to the answer.
Thanks.

Bbarflmphrf; dkaorr.

Tltpal.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:51 AM, Mambo Kings said:

Good grief......I challenge anyone to watch all 19 minutes of that video without fast forwarding.

Ok.  I'm lame.   I was so curious I watched the whole GD thing.  I'm a painter so I am always curious about different techniques for things.  

Glenn:

Don't know how helpful this will be but, San Diego PHRF references black bands in defining rig measurements I, E, etc.

http://www.phrfsandiego.org/documents/PHRFApplication.pdf

ORC does the same: Orc.org

only places I've looked

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=orr+sailing+rule

https://www.offshoreracingrule.org/orr-rule/rulebook

9.03 Painted Measurement Bands.
Measurements may be taken to locations defined by painted bands, of black or other contrasting color, only when these bands are in place at the time of measurement. Where measurements are taken to such bands any movement of the bands or a failure to display them while racing shall invalidate the rating certificate.

9.07 Mainsail Hoist (P).
P shall be the measured length of the hoist of a headsail headed mainsail. It is the distance along the afterside of the mainmast from the highest level to which the head of the sail, or any part of a headboard carriage abaft the track or mast groove, may be set to the lowest position of the tack. The highest point shall be taken as the top of the highest sheave used for the main halyard, or to the lower edge of a one- inch measurement band. The lowest position of the tack shall normally be the fair extension of the top of the boom or any external track or groove.
9.07.1 If a sliding gooseneck is used, measurement is to be made with the boom at the extreme bottom of the slide unless the lowest sailing position of the foot of the sail (boom or boom track) is marked by the upper edge of a one-inch measurement band around the mast. The top of the boom (or track) shall not be carried below this point when the mainsail is set, except when actually putting in or shaking out a reef in the mainsail.
9.07.2 In the event that the tack of the sail is carried below the boom, its lowest position shall be marked by the upper edge of a one-inch measurement band around the mast from which the low point of P shall be measured.

9.10.2 Sheeting Limit (BAL). BAL shall be the distance from the outer measurement point of E to a contrasting measurement band denoting the limit on the boom beyond which no lead for the sheeting of headsails shall be attached. In the absence of such a band BAL shall be measured to the boom end. BAL shall not exceed 0.152 m (0.50 ft.).

so the "F" in phrf don't stand for Fun I assume ;) 

1 hour ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Thank you Presuming Ed.  10 posts of BS, and one post with a researched answer.  Better ratio than usual around here!

yet no tits in 15 posts :unsure:

Probably the most common certificate rule broken in club fleets in this area.  Either they're absent, ignored, or (rarely) at the wrong location.  Though not necessarily deliberately;  my boat had bands when I bought it,  a year later when I bought a new main I couldn't hoist it to the band.  Turned out the band was 6 inches higher than P!  Previous owner was a cheater.

On 5/22/2018 at 12:37 PM, axolotl said:

Probably the most common certificate rule broken in club fleets in this area.  Either they're absent, ignored, or (rarely) at the wrong location.  Though not necessarily deliberately;  my boat had bands when I bought it,  a year later when I bought a new main I couldn't hoist it to the band.  Turned out the band was 6 inches higher than P!  Previous owner was a cheater.

you had a new sail made based on your phrf certificate numbers and not on having the sailmaker measure?

20 hours ago, ryley said:

you had a new sail made based on your phrf certificate numbers and not on having the sailmaker measure?

Correct.  The PHRF certificate numbers are exactly the same as the boat manufacturer's numbers and determine where the bands are placed on the spars. A sail larger than P & E would be illegal for racing.  The sailmaker did visit the boat, but only to determine the tack  pin setback, track slugs type, etc.  When I told him the new main couldn't be hoisted to the top band  he said the top band must be wrong,  measure up and place it at distance P.  After lowering the band the main fit perfectly.