Sign in to follow this  
RSsailingNA

RS Aero North American Championships May 18-20, 2018 in Galveston, Texas

Recommended Posts

The RS Aero Class is holding it's fourth North American Championships May 18-20th in Galveston, Texas hosted by the Sea Star Base Galveston and Title Sponsor KO Sailing. Stay tuned to this thread and RS Aero Class North America for for more updates through the event. 

This is likely to be the most contested podium the North American Aero Class has seen.  Will we see Hank Saurage repeat last year's event close 1 point win in Newport, RI by beating reigning RS Aero 9 World Champion?  Seattle sailors Derek Bottles or Jay Renehan sneak are sure to put up a good fight for the top spot. We'll definitely see  the local Texas sailors who have been training hard give all of these guys a challenge.  We look forwards to seeing a close battle for the podium!

One thing is for sure, the sailors that have ventured from 10 states and 1 Canadian province are in for an epic week! The forecast looks like champagne sailing everyday in the Offatts Bayou and we can't forget about the top notch entertainment with the join KO / RS Sailing sponsored Real Texas BBQ and beer from the Galveston Island Brewery!

More information about the event here: http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/16097

With a growing fleet the RS Aero has taken the approach to rotate the event, the biggest event being the 2016 event with 35 boats. Since the RS Aero fleet has been building in Texas, the local fleet were excited to play hosts and the Sea Star Base stepped up as top notch hosts. The RS Aero North American Class voted to go to Texas with the hope of returning to the Gorge for the 2019 RS Aero World Championships, stay tuned for an announcement on this soon.  Yes that's right... most likely 2019 RS AERO WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE GORGE!! How exciting is that?!

Photo evidence that this event is getting ramped up with the KO Sailing truck pulling the RS Aero Mega Tour Trailer.

For more dates and info on the RS Aero Mega Tour visit http://www.rsaerosailing.org/natour for a full schedule and contact Marc Jacobi at USA@Rsaerosailing.org with any questions.  There is a full schedule of events coming up with reasonable charters and we want to go to more clubs, particular from those that have requests events in the Midwest!! Give us a shout to come to your event!

 

 

aerotrailerssbg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone post up how you like the Sea Star Base.  I curious what the sailing is like there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

View from the Seastar Base a couple days prior to racing getting started.  Lookes like a sweet venue!!

ssbg.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TACK BY TACK REPORTS PLZ!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Aero, it is a great bit of design especially getting it down to that incredible weight.

I in no way wish to taint the Aero but have heard of structural issues with the Aero. All products suffer from teething issues in there early production and hopefully that was what my source was referring to. 

 

So cutting to the chase have any of you had issues with your Aeros

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tink said:

I love the Aero, it is a great bit of design especially getting it down to that incredible weight.

I in no way wish to taint the Aero but have heard of structural issues with the Aero. All products suffer from teething issues in there early production and hopefully that was what my source was referring to. 

So cutting to the chase have any of you had issues with your Aeros

I have not had any "structural issues" with my Aero and am not aware of any such problems among the boats of the Aero sailors I race with.

The only thing that has worn out on my boat so far is the downhaul cleats. I had to replace them after 3 years of fairly frequent sailing.

I am aware of a few incidences of damage to the hulls of Aeros from full speed boat to boat collisions during racing, but these are not common by any means.

There was also a concern about the mast wearing the gel coat of the mast step but that has been fixed in more recent boats with a collar around the step.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2018 at 5:38 PM, tillerman said:

I have not had any "structural issues" with my Aero and am not aware of any such problems among the boats of the Aero sailors I race with.

The only thing that has worn out on my boat so far is the downhaul cleats. I had to replace them after 3 years of fairly frequent sailing.

I am aware of a few incidences of damage to the hulls of Aeros from full speed boat to boat collisions during racing, but these are not common by any means.

There was also a concern about the mast wearing the gel coat of the mast step but that has been fixed in more recent boats with a collar around the step.

Think I am with Mr Cockerel on this one

“I guess its not surprising that ex competitive Laser® sailors like the D zero whereas the  the Aero meets many of the requirements of the club sailor fleets.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a fun and interesting event, super nice venue with good wind in the mid teens and flat warm water. The venue rewarded keeping your head out of the boat and sailing smart. I would sail there again and I look forward to sailing against the fine group of competitors we have in the class. One needed boat speed but one also needed to work the big picture of the shifts while also sailing to and staying in the puffs - especially off the wind. The venue also rewarded quickly changing gears and modes, sometimes better to foot fast to the next puff or reach high to plane rather than going deeper down wind. 

I would say the class is in its sophomore stage, a lot of really good parts coming together but the newness hype has started to pass (hey look at that shinny new carbon thing over there) yet the fleets are growing and a lot has been learned. Some interesting subjects still need addressing. I sail the boat for the joy of racing a fun low cost of ownership one design that rewards good form. For some reason PYA ratings are used at some events. I hope this is just a temporary thing while the fleets grow. Three plus years in we are starting to see bigger speed gaps between the very talented or experienced Aero sailors and the newer to the boat up and comers. We really should get a tuning guide and other training material out to shorten the learning curve. Many events feature a clinic on the practice day and that is very helpful but only if you attend one of the bigger events. 

I have two Aeros, both fairly old now and I have sailed two newer charter boats. I think RS is doing a very good job of refining and improving deck gear while sticking to one design. I notice no speed or handling differences between the boats. For the record, so far after three or four years sailing my two boats hard and often - not one single bit of maintenance. I am still sailing with my original sail on #1380 for our 15+ boat Thursday night racing.  I know others in our fleet did have issues with some early boats but I understand RS has stood behind the boats and everyone is happy with the resolutions reached. 

The Aero is a joy to sail and easy to sail, I rig it up and just go out for fun after work all summer long, yet it is also a rewarding racing platform with no odd tricks, the better you sail the better you do. I am looking forward to the video that comes out of the NA's. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dbottles said:

What a fun and interesting event, super nice venue with good wind in the mid teens and flat warm water. The venue rewarded keeping your head out of the boat and sailing smart. I would sail there again and I look forward to sailing against the fine group of competitors we have in the class. One needed boat speed but one also needed to work the big picture of the shifts while also sailing to and staying in the puffs - especially off the wind. The venue also rewarded quickly changing gears and modes, sometimes better to foot fast to the next puff or reach high to plane rather than going deeper down wind. 

I would say the class is in its sophomore stage, a lot of really good parts coming together but the newness hype has started to pass (hey look at that shinny new carbon thing over there) yet the fleets are growing and a lot has been learned. Some interesting subjects still need addressing. I sail the boat for the joy of racing a fun low cost of ownership one design that rewards good form. For some reason PYA ratings are used at some events. I hope this is just a temporary thing while the fleets grow. Three plus years in we are starting to see bigger speed gaps between the very talented or experienced Aero sailors and the newer to the boat up and comers. We really should get a tuning guide and other training material out to shorten the learning curve. Many events feature a clinic on the practice day and that is very helpful but only if you attend one of the bigger events. 

I have two Aeros, both fairly old now and I have sailed two newer charter boats. I think RS is doing a very good job of refining and improving deck gear while sticking to one design. I notice no speed or handling differences between the boats. For the record, so far after three or four years sailing my two boats hard and often - not one single bit of maintenance. I am still sailing with my original sail on #1380 for our 15+ boat Thursday night racing.  I know others in our fleet did have issues with some early boats but I understand RS has stood behind the boats and everyone is happy with the resolutions reached. 

The Aero is a joy to sail and easy to sail, I rig it up and just go out for fun after work all summer long, yet it is also a rewarding racing platform with no odd tricks, the better you sail the better you do. I am looking forward to the video that comes out of the NA's. 

 


There is a simple tuning guide posted on the RS Aero Class website at https://www.rsaerosailing.org/docs/70705008(3).pdf

There are a lot of other resources to help less experienced sailors on the class website. See for instance the Sailing - Top Tips thread in the forum. This includes some videos of the talks given by Peter Barton at training days in the UK which should be very helpful for sailors new to the Aero who are not able to attend a clinic or training day themselves.

You can also find some Aero training materials useful to people new to the Aero on YouTube such as Marc Jacobi's talk on RS Aero rigging and sail controls at Newport in 2016.





 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 12:09 PM, torrid said:

Everyone post up how you like the Sea Star Base.  I curious what the sailing is like there.

Coached a HS Nationals there. Awesome venue. Flatish water, good breeze, and overbuilt - we stayed on site and they even sent us an airport shuttle. Not sure what their plan is to use the building the rest of the year when they don't need the capacity for scouts, but I'm happy to take advantage of it. Would make a fun clinic/spring break venue...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Roller Skates said:

Coached a HS Nationals there. Awesome venue. Flatish water, good breeze, and overbuilt - we stayed on site and they even sent us an airport shuttle. Not sure what their plan is to use the building the rest of the year when they don't need the capacity for scouts, but I'm happy to take advantage of it. Would make a fun clinic/spring break venue...

Where do they run the courses?  Offatts Bayou looks like it could be a bit restricted, but West Bay probably has a bunch of traffic running through it.   I sailed in the Kemah/Seabrook area for years, but never made it down there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kids raced the whole thing in Offatts with a perfect long stretch easterly seabreeze. November though. Not sure what they've got in store for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sailed a lot of laps in the Offatts Bayou. Was that the 4th or 3rd time to the weather mark? Got to keep count! Easier on the legs than the long grind (25-30 min upwind) we sailed last night in our typical Thursday night racing in Seattle 

When I talked about a tuning guide I was thinking a document with measurements not the general applies to all boats more c-ham as the wind builds... for example the bottom of my bolt rope is typically at 0-1 on the mast marking as I start to hike, 2 when hiking fairly hard but not over powered and then maxes at 6 as I try and depower or get tired. I sailed most of NA's between 2 and 6. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this