Sign in to follow this  
amtdys

Keel strike

Motoring to Wednesday night beer can race tonight, and passed an isolated buoy on my way out of the bay.  Thought to myself, ‘that’s kinda weird’ right before the boat came to a dead stop (luckily no crew injuries except my upper lip). No more forward motion so I put the engine in reverse but that didn’t work either - seemed to be hung up and pivoting on something.  Heeled the boat to starboard and then to port and finally came free.  No grinding noises to suggest rocks; no slow progress to suggest that I was stuck in the mud.  Now I need to get hauled out and inspected.  

Fingers crossed.  Feeling awfully stupid.  

"A feller who ain't been aground, ain't been sailing very long."

Sounds like mud to me. Carry on.

My boat partner learned last season what the blue color on the chart, small single-digit numbers scattered about, the "*" sign, and the abbreviations rky, Rk and Rks mean on the chart vis-a-vis the "Stepping Stones" area off of King's Point. It has always seemed obvious to ME what those all indicate. Now he does too, but unfortunately I'm the epoxy guy in the relationship. (Not launched yet this year.)

I know the KP triangle well, and have watched lots of people run hard aground at the stepping stone lighthouse.  This was actually coming straight out of little neck bay on the way to city island for EBYRA.  Made sure I was first boat in the water this year because my wife is due with our first in early July, so any sailing I get in this year will be in the next few weeks.  There goes that plan.  

Don’t think it was mud because the strike was hard and loud.  I’m blaming a boat that I just learned went missing/presumed sunk to the north of the Bayside mooring field.  

Guess we’ll see...