Sign in to follow this  
Spin Echo

New mast for 105

Got a new to me 105 in beautiful condition, superexcited,  only to have my mast destroyed in transport. Boat in Northeast USA. Need new mast. Looking for feedback on the new Sparcraft mast vs a used Hall mast. I know Sparcraft is a bit stiffer and slightly heavier, but would love to hear from actual owners. Thanks!

Great opportunity to buy a carbon rig! Unless you race one design. Think Muskrat!

A little taller...

• Like 1

I'm not sure of the details, but there's some issue with rig damage at the spinnaker halyard exit.  Worth double checking that area carefully.

Boats with Sparcraft rigs and Hall rigs seem to go equally well, so there's no performance difference. If you switch to Sparcraft, you will also need to change the boom because the gooseneck is different, so that might affect your decision (depending on the insurance - they might spring for the new boom too since it's needed to fit the mast).

The Hall masts have a square hole for the kite sheave sawzall'ed out of the front of the highest stress section. Masts that break tend to break there - I've seen three so far on SF Bay. I had a doubler inserted inside the hole on both sides and it's in great shape - I highly recommend that. Although I have the Hall setup, I think that the Sparcraft design is better because of the masthead sheave which is led down to a u-bolt to provide the right location for the kite head.

Don't buy a carbon rig. It will probably cost more than the value of the hull, and will instantly devalue the setup to pretty much zero because no-one in an OD fleet can buy your boat.

Thank you guys for the info. Glad to hear the replacement Sparcraft mast is good. Bought the 105 specifically for OD, so no carbon for this boat.

Wet spreaders, in  your experience the broken masts you saw, did they break forward or aft?

Now I think about it, I've seen four. 

One due to a clash of rigs - one upwind, one downwind after rounding a windward mark - Port layline favored in a port rounding course with folks gybe-setting at the offset.

One hooked up by the backstay on the Lightship offshore buoy

One "flicked" off when crossing a freighter wake inside the bay - that was a weird one. The guy ahead of me reaching from Yellow Bluff to Mason with a kite up hit the wake of a ship leaving the bay and the top of the mast just broke off.

One just broke on a windy day

I'd say the it's 3:1 break backwards rather than forwards

FWIW, J/105 hull #1 is in our neck of the woods. 2 years ago, the lifting strap failed and the boat dropped and destroyed the mast. We sent them a Sparcraft and the only mayor difference was the configuration of the spinnaker halyard exits (using a restrainer instead of going directly to the fractional).

Drop me a note if you are interested in one new from Sparcraft.