Sign in to follow this  
toddster

The down side of "barn find" Zodiacs... I know, you told me so.

Recommended Posts

Argh! Well, so much for "like new."  I've put maybe 20 miles on this thing - mostly skipping lightly along over mild wind ripples at 15 knots.  (It had never had a motor on it before.)  

And, the front fell off.  Well, the bottom at the front.  The floor peeled away from the tubes along the glue joint. All across the bow, where the high-pressure floor and the keel exert the most force against it.  Fortunately, it didn't happen on the water - just sitting on the trailer, under a tarp.  (I think I would have noticed that, at least when putting it up on the trailer...)IMG_1984.jpg.39abe1b1d01aac5e6f5982c1ef0937fa.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg.ba3604ac56d09ef354deb99f4cfbf7ee.jpg

So... a plan for fixing it.  Clean off, all that old glue. Should be a joyful exercise... Re-glue.  Add an external tape all along the floor/tube seam?  Got some time to ponder, because I'll have to send away for that much glue and tape.  (Where to buy PVC seam tape, anyway?  Defender has some long thin pieces, but nobody seems to have rolls.)  Not exactly sure how to clamp it up, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is PVC.  Now that I look closer at it, I’d guess that the internal tape, in sheer, provides most of the support for the keel and gear weight.  Adding an external tape layer at right angles might not help much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a middling quality RIB that came with my last boat. All the "hardware" like the oarlocks and rub strip was either off or coming loose so I cleaned everything with MEK (made it look almost new) and stuck everything down with 5200.

Worked like a charm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad used Gorilla Glue on his old Zodiac.  Looked like shit but worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2018 at 9:59 AM, SloopJonB said:

I had a middling quality RIB that came with my last boat. All the "hardware" like the oarlocks and rub strip was either off or coming loose so I cleaned everything with MEK (made it look almost new) and stuck everything down with 5200.

Worked like a charm.

This

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that happened to me once. I bought the PVC compatible 2-part stuff from Locktite off mcmasters. Comes in small 2-tube packs with a mixing nozzle. Pretty slick system. The bitch was getting everything in place and camping it. Had to do in sections with the boat deflated and concrete blocks as the clamps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using 5200 it works better if it's inflated. The goo holds everything in place so no clamping is needed.

When I stuck the rub strip back down it was only loose in spots so I deflated it, cleaned out underneath the strip, squeezed in 5200 and inflated it tight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if it's the floor separating though, inflating it just pulls the tubes away from the floor even more.  It's tricky.

5200 would work and might be cheaper than the Locktite stuff, but the locktite cures relatively quickly, so you can hit more of the glueing each day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well crap - I'm still trying to finish a couple of other projects, so I have a whole bay to lay out the Zodiac in the garage.  

Wrong parts came for the old Evinrude - maybe I can just put it up on Craigslist as "a box of parts" rather than as a motor.  :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this