Sign in to follow this  
MikeR80

Best Florida Dinghy / trailer-able small boat Classes?

All ears. Fire away [Moved the fam to S. Fl two years ago.  2017 season was the least sailing I've done in the last 30 years, looking to get back into it.  have raced everything optis to lasers to 70 footers...]

Spin me up on the small boat scene in the state.  We'll likely either end up in Tampa area long term or someone in Palm/Broward/Dade counties...

4 hours ago, MikeR80 said:

All ears. Fire away [Moved the fam to S. Fl two years ago.  2017 season was the least sailing I've done in the last 30 years, looking to get back into it.  have raced everything optis to lasers to 70 footers...]

Spin me up on the small boat scene in the state.  We'll likely either end up in Tampa area long term or someone in Palm/Broward/Dade counties...

Come over to Coral Reef YC. Laser, Stars, J70's. You will get a ride. 

• Like 1

Finn. There are two growing fleets in miami and tampa/sarasota area . The nations will be in sarasota next spring and the masters will be in Mobile the following month which is only a short drive from florida. 

sorry, shoulda been more specific-- looking for something w little more room than finn or any other singlehander... whats the snipe class like in FL? or something like a thistle? basically want to be able to day sail w/ my young kids or race w/ my wife and/or a buddy or 2....

On 5/21/2018 at 9:18 PM, MikeR80 said:

sorry, shoulda been more specific-- looking for something w little more room than finn or any other singlehander... whats the snipe class like in FL? or something like a thistle? basically want to be able to day sail w/ my young kids or race w/ my wife and/or a buddy or 2....

How about a cat? ... We have informal catamaran races in Biscayne bay once a month. There's versatile catamarans that can race and work for family outings...

How big is your wife, GF? You could get a Star boat if she weighs enough

MikeR80, I envy you living in S. Fl.  I grew up racing dinghies on Biscayne Bay. Best sailing I know of. But seriously, decide where you will live and get whatever you like that sails in your area. Trailering to race where you don't live gets old very fast. Stay local and you will sail a lot more.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2018 at 9:18 PM, MikeR80 said:

whats the snipe class like in FL? or something like a thistle? basically want to be able to day sail w/ my young kids or race w/ my wife and/or a buddy or 2....

Lake Eustis Sailing Club has WayfarerFlying Scot and MC Scow OD racing.

Miami is good for Snipes (also Flying Scots); see below and here

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 9:18 AM, xonk1 said:

MikeR80, I envy you living in S. Fl.  I grew up racing dinghies on Biscayne Bay. Best sailing I know of. But seriously, decide where you will live and get whatever you like that sails in your area. Trailering to race where you don't live gets old very fast. Stay local and you will sail a lot more.

Thanks xonk, this is quite the place.... currently in law school at UM, but I don't imagine we'll end up further than Ft Lauderdale, long term

MikeR80, Since you are headed toward legal work of some kind I thought I'd share one of the great boat names for attorneys I ever saw. Years ago on a BIG power boat, in Dinner Key Marina,  the name proudly painted on the transom was    -  VERDICT  -    Made me laugh. Happy Sailing.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 9:00 AM, VWAP said:

How big is your wife, GF? You could get a Star boat if she weighs enough

sadly, the wife is not Star crew material.  maybe 3 of her would be.  505 would be sweet, but she's way too small- about 105lbs, lol... what do the good snipe teams weigh in at? i'm 185lb 

25 minutes ago, MikeR80 said:

sadly, the wife is not Star crew material.  maybe 3 of her would be.  505 would be sweet, but she's way too small- about 105lbs, lol... what do the good snipe teams weigh in at? i'm 185lb 

i mentioned it once already... Fireball. great for light weight crews, and there are a few in Tampa at Davis Island YC

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dgmckim said:

i mentioned it once already... Fireball. great for light weight crews, and there are a few in Tampa at Davis Island YC

they look like cool boats.  i remember seeing them at CORK back in the day.  if i saw one in my area for cheap, id consider it

• Like 1