DryArmour

California 300 Last Call

If you and your team are racing down the hill next weekend and you thought it was too late for us to design, print and deliver your team's premium race gear or that you would have to pay "RUSH FEES"...think again. We are working seven days a week to meet the record demand this year. Many thanks to the teams that have invested in their crew members and purchased gear from us.  There is still a small window of time before the race next weekend to get your team outfitted too:  http://www.dryuv.com/saoct.htm  If you have ordered from us before then we make it even easier:  Just email us with your style/color/sizes/quantities and we'll handle the rest.  Clock is ticking. Jump on it.

Mighty Merloe Islands Race Rainbow Harbor.jpg

Mark,

I'll be racing aboard Horizon for the first two legs of the California Offshore Race Week and Destroyer for the 300. So far it looks like a light Spinnaker Cup depending on the timing of the low that's passing through the day before and then possibly game on for Coastal Cup. I'm probably going to need to break out those Gill boots I got from you last year. 

6 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Mark,

I'll be racing aboard Horizon for the first two legs of the California Offshore Race Week and Destroyer for the 300. So far it looks like a light Spinnaker Cup depending on the timing of the low that's passing through the day before and then possibly game on for Coastal Cup. I'm probably going to need to break out those Gill boots I got from you last year. 

thank's for helping C/5 with the weather :o:lol::lol::lol::)B)

Hopping in the car right now to drive an order from yesterday down to a customer in Newport Beach. I do love my job. Have a great race this weekend everyone!

Nice weather for Spinnaker Cup. Lucky Duck did a great job of jibing along the shore and ooched a win in class and sits in first overall at this point.

Go the Duck!

8 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Nice weather for Spinnaker Cup. Lucky Duck did a great job of jibing along the shore and ooched a win in class and sits in first overall at this point.

i thought you guys might get them in the last 20 miles, they earned that one.

Always love the competition the Duck brings to the game.

On 5/27/2018 at 9:08 AM, Tom O'Keefe said:

It had to be the team shirts money. ;-).

Thursday though:

..SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM PDT THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT...

Synopsis: PZZ600-300530- 211 PM PDT Tue May 29 2018 .Synopsis for the southern California coast and Santa Barbara Channel including the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary and National Park...at 19Z...or 12 PM PDT...a 1035 MB surface high was centered 1200 NM NW of Point Conception. A 1006 MB thermal low was centered near Needles, CA. Winds will increase across the outer waters late tonight and Wed. $$

Tonight
Northwestern portion, NW winds increasing to 15 to 25 kt. Elsewhere, W winds 10 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 to 3 ft. NW swell 6 to 8 ft at 11 seconds. Patchy fog in the evening.
Wed
Northwestern portion, NW winds 20 to 25 kt. Elsewhere, NE winds 5 to 10 kt becoming NW 15 to 20 kt by the afternoon. Combined seas 7 to 10 ft dominant period 11 seconds.
Wed Night
NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt. Combined seas 8 to 11 ft dominant period 11 seconds.
Thu
NW winds 15 to 20 kt with gusts to 25 kt, becoming 20 to 30 kt in the afternoon. Combined seas 7 to 10 ft dominant period 11 seconds.
Thu Night
NW winds 15 to 25 kt with gusts to 30 kt. Combined seas 7 to 9 ft dominant period 11 seconds.
Fri
NW winds 15 to 25 kt, becoming 20 to 25 kt in the afternoon. Gusts to 30 kt. Combined seas 7 to 8 ft dominant period 11 seconds.
Fri Night
Northwestern portion, NW winds 25 to 30 kt becoming 20 to 25 kt after midnight. Elsewhere, NW winds 20 to 25 kt becoming 10 to 15 kt after midnight. Combined seas 6 to 8 ft dominant period 11 seconds. Patchy fog after midnight.

Long but rewarding race. Decent breeze leaving Monterey. But it was out of the South. A second row boat end start paid when the first row guys were over early. The Duck did their thing and launched up wind. We hung on. But, were quite a ways out before we were back in contact. They tried to cross the low pressure ridge closer to Concepcion Point and ended up sailing deep trying to get to the line. We went round the bottom and really worked the light air stuff to pass a couple sisterships and pull back the Duck on corrected. Tight racing is always fun even if it took more than a day longer this year compared to last.

Next up the Southern California 300.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

Long but rewarding race. Decent breeze leaving Monterey. But it was out of the South. A second row boat end start paid when the first row guys were over early. The Duck did their thing and launched up wind. We hung on. But, were quite a ways out before we were back in contact. They tried to cross the low pressure ridge closer to Concepcion Point and ended up sailing deep trying to get to the line. We went round the bottom and really worked the light air stuff to pass a couple sisterships and pull back the Duck on corrected. Tight racing is always fun even if it took more than a day longer this year compared to last.

Next up the Southern California 300.

Congrats buddy ! saw that line in the last miles and you guys were gaining well down there. was seth on board ?

SOCAL 300 ERR... 200?

Plenty of breeze and a solid swell should combine to make this an epic run through some of the most beautiful water in the world. I am unclear what the cutoff is for race organizers to shorten the course. Most of these are big boats and for the moment there isn't even a Gale Warning posted, only a small craft advisory for a very small portion fo the course.

If you are racing today, wear your harness/ PFD and stay aboard. Good luck to all.

Short course is out.  Long course is on.  Looking forward to it.  Looks like the big wind window is getting smaller though.

i see horizon didn't start , what happened tom ?

58 NM to go.  What a wild night! Some attrition and some major injuries.  USCG were as usual in top form.

3 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

58 NM to go.  What a wild night! Some attrition and some major injuries.  USCG were as usual in top form.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

messy for sure...good job for the finishers, retirements, non starters. 

Also, kudos to the Dr. aboard Deception who acted as med liaison for the Bretwalda crew.  I thought there was another head injury incident, but I did not record it in my log book. I'm really tired right now and struggling to recall details.  Maybe tomorrow.  On Fast Exit, we covered the distance from the Santa Cruz/San Miguel gate to the weather buoy gate, 99.2 nm in just over 9 hours. We were seeing consistent windspeeds in the mid to high 20's wth gusts to 30+ and very confused sea state.  Lots of carnage and very few spinnakers by the time the sun went down!  Saw 18.6 boat speed with full main and #3 at one point!

On 5/31/2018 at 5:44 PM, bigrpowr said:

i see horizon didn't start , what happened tom ?

Unfortunately,  several of the core crew, ]including me , had previous commitments and John decided he did not want to push the replacements in big breeze.

We were seeing solid 21 knots boat speed on Destroyer when the chain on one of the wheels let go. Big broach. We decided to pull the plug and surfed home in the high teens to low twenties.

Huge props to the USCG helicopter teams. From all  accounts so far-Fast on the scene, professional and potentially life saving. Tax dollars hard at work in the right way.

• Like 2

I was on Bretwelda - and witnessed ....well....everything.

The young man who boarded our boat could not have been older than 21 or 22 years old.  He was smooth, confident, professional and most importantly, empathetic.  You just cannot teach that.

When it was determined that the sea state was too rough to get a basket on board, his calm demeanor, and overwhelming empathy for our injured crew made all of us very comfortable with the decision to go into the water as night was falling.

Before we new it, our injured crew was off to shore.

Cannot say enough great things about how this situation was handled - and it most likely saved our crews leg.

Cheers,

opusone

• Like 4

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/content.php?8365-Update-On-Amazing-Grace-Sailor-Injured-In-SoCal-300

Just an update on the injuries from SoCal 300:

The sailor on Bretwalda is recovering but has very limited motor control below his knee.  The young woman from Amazing Grace had multiple surgeries and is still sedated in intensive care.

Tough few days in California.  There was also a serious kiteboarding injury in the bay where a guy spent a good bit of time underwater & is now touch and go in a coma.

Serious props to the USCG and other folks involved in the rescue ops and all the medical professionals.  Be safe out there, people.