Sign in to follow this  
overbeek

Near Capsize

We chose to do the Hardway race on Wahoo, this takes us around Santa Cruz island, know for big winds and rough seas. This was the first time for Wahoo to race in these conditions and we had to see how the boat would handle it. We had discussed putting in a reef before we got to the windy area but never did. We rounded the island with jib, then went to screecher and boat was fast but then decided to go to the bigger furling spinnaker. Wind and waves were increasing but felt that the boat was OK, more and more waves were coming up and over the boat and now over the cabin top. We had crew on the spin and mainsheet read to dump. We were sailing deep and both bows went into a large wave, boat suddenly decelerated, I was starting to ease the spin sheet but the spin block lashing broke from the sudden increase in strain, this broke, pulling forward, breaking the carbon stantion and ripping the base from the hull, ending with lifeline in my winch so I could not release. I felt the boat lifting and heard the other crew say hang on she's going over. I was still trying to deal with the winch and spin sheet. They said the stern lifted 12 feet out of the water, then the boat started to round up as the apparent wind moved aft on the mainsail, sheet was dumped and luckily the boat came back down. Furling spinnaker could not be sheeted and block was missing so we went back out with the screecher and had to pull spinnaker down and into a small forward hatch. Very hard work for the 2 foredeck guys.  

https://youtu.be/ptKZu597T84

Are you guys sure this cruising orientated boat was meant to be driven like an out and out race boat? Seems seamanship and the boats design purpose needs to be reviewed. The rule i like to observe is when you think about reefing, reef. My belief is that Multis don't need to be overpowered to perform. 

Bill owned Afterburner and raced that successfully, we are used to pushing during a race but you have to learn what limits are. And most sailing in southern California is light winds so we wanted to try something more challenging. 

Hey, clean your shorts and enjoy the next race knowing that you found one edge of the envelope. 

• Like 3

Nice! How did the lifeline get in the which?

was the main again the spreaders?

We use the amount of water going over the boat as a gauge of how hard we are pressing the boat. Also when the boat starts to decelerate as it runs into the back of the waves is a good sign.

Capsize is rarely the result of one error but rather a combination of things that have gone wrong.

Yours was obviously the block breaking, but at least it released some kite, maybe all you needed to stop her going over.

The mainsail was out pretty far, our rig rotates and shrouds are pretty far aft. So it does not actually touch the spreaders but the shroud.

The spin sheet turning block is attached to our aft stern cleat with Amsteel blue line which broke at a knot luckily as this suddenly released 10-12 feet of spin sheet until the sheet line pull was directly to the winch from the spinnaker. The result was that the stantion was in the way of this. The support base was torn almost completely off and the stantion broke in half. Our life lines are spectra and due to the spinnaker sheet line new line pull direction, the lifeline somehow ended over the winch in the event.

• Like 1

You guys are pretty good in the racing, push it to the max, mode so I am not surprised that you had a near miss.  Glad no one was in the way when things let go.  For me, as a cruiser and sometime racer, I play conservatively.  Multihulls generate a nonchalance just before they go haywire.  They don't 'talk' the same to the crew as everything seems quite manageable until it isn't.  I sail by the numbers.  1st reef at 16 kts true (when cruising), 20kts true when racing.  I have a 'chicken' Code Zero but treat it like a full size one.  Yeah, not quite as fast all around but so far I haven't broken anything or scared myself.  Better to keep it that way---but then, I'm not a Type A!

• Like 1

Like Schionning designs and for sure Bill is experienced and knows his boat so no criticism intended or implied here.

* Surprised the board is humming like that with speed in teens.  Is that normal for her and has any work been done to trailing edges to cause or alleviate that tendency?

* Surprised the board is down at all (to be humming) when VMG running and flying deep chutes; why so?  I didn't think they were curved or otherwise lifting boards but I could easily and obviously be wrong.

* Not surprised you guys lost the stantion when the spinsheet turning block let go.  That is typical given the new sheeting angle.  But if you don't mind sharing (or speculating even if not sure) how did that allow the lifeline to foul the winch and prevent a further spin sheet ease?  Asking because its something I would like to avoid and am not understanding how that happened.

Nice boat and glad to see folks enjoying it!!

We have humming at different speeds, the rudders were chamfered on trailing edge but I don't think the daggerboards were done. Yes we had them up for a while but Bill had trouble with steering so they went back down half way. I wish we had lifting boards for those conditions as bow depressing and would be reduced.

The lifeline ended on the winch as it was on the inside of the spin sheet (spin sheet is led from outside of boat under the lifeline to the winch) as the sheet now went directly out to the sail, the lifeline was trapped on the sheet and ultimately the winch

I am totally with you on the geometry and how the life line would be trapped by the spin sheet when the block let go.  And that it would ride down that now potentially flogging sheet.  Been there and done that on another boat.  And for sure an issue when trying to bring sheet back in.  Just not seeing how it gets fouled into and around winch on the continued attempt to ease the sheet to avoid capsize.  Anyway, glad to see it all ended well.  When all else fails there is the knife option but while great in theory the reality is these things happen so fast you don't have the time to have the thought, get the knife off your person and cut the sheet and or lifeline before you end up swimming which I am glad to see you guys did not!  Broken dishes are cheap; capsizes not so much LOL.