Sign in to follow this  
Airheader911

Epifanes clear satin question

Refinishing a tiller in clear gloss epifanes varnish. Had about 4 coats on when I mistakenly put a coat of interior satin rubbed effect finish on . It says that this is an interior only product so I assume I  need to totally sand all of this satin off before resuming with a few more coats of clear gloss.  Any thoughts ?

By the way it looks really good ! Better than the gloss imo. Is there a similar satin look exterior varnish I could use as a top coat over the gloss?

The interior varnish will not have the UV blocking components. Other than that, it should be generally compatible, though it's worth asking Epiphanes. 

As you would be doing light sanding between coats and would add several more above it, should not be an issue. 

Regarding satin exterior... you can either knock down the gloss with a light bronze wool, or toss on a coat of https://www.epifanes.com/page/wood-finish-matte

If you have UV protection over satin it should be OK - as long as the two system are compatible - just gotta add more coats 

Just add more coats.  No UV blockers, but in the middle layers it won't matter.  Or use this as a chance to block it out really nicely so your last coats go on glass smooth. 

There should be satin outdoor ones in the same line, if not just look through the MSDS for the same solvents etc and it should be fine.  The best satin finishes IMO are built with layers of gloss first for clarity and satin only on the final coat. 

17 hours ago, Airheader911 said:

Thanks for all the comments.  A few more coats of the gloss and then wood finish matte then to complete the job

Suggest a test piece with matte finish to see if you like the result before you use it on your actual last coat....

With varnish, there's never a last coat. Only intermediate coats. 

• Like 2