Sign in to follow this  
Mid

Lake Eyre Yacht Club

Recommended Posts

The flood waters are approaching B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Lake Eyre was Ozzies version of Bonneville.

You mean to say it's a real lake, not a salt flat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a salt flat four and a half years out of five. A lot of dry inland Australia drains towards the middle, so when you eventually get a big rain event, vast areas turn into a sea, especially around Lake Eyre..........

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I thought Lake Eyre was Ozzies version of Bonneville.

You mean to say it's a real lake, not a salt flat?

Yes it’s a real lake and when it’s flooded it’s great to sail on. 

 

There is a lot of little creeks and rivers that flow into the lake and when the lake hasn’t got water in it we sail on these. The last time I sailed a lake eyre regatta I took my 505 and had a ball. It’s great fun and awesome people who attend the regatta and because it’s a effort to get there it keeps the dickheads away. For my family it’s a 2400 km drive just to get to the club house in Maree. Well worth it.

 

pulpit

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

It is a salt flat four and a half years out of five. A lot of dry inland Australia drains towards the middle, so when you eventually get a big rain event, vast areas turn into a sea, especially around Lake Eyre..........

The lake is so big when it’s full it changes the whole area and it comes alive for years. The main lake only ever fills every 30-40 years on average and then it takes 3-4 years to dry out. 

 

I know of one sailor called Alvin Akin who back in 1974 -5 when the lake was full sailed over 1000 nautical miles in a home built plywood Randal 20

 

It’s not just the main lake that retains water in it as well. We sailed on lake Hope 1 regatta. The lake is 10 kms x 3 kms by 40 foot deep and the station owner had fishing rights and caught 120 ton of yellow belly over 2 years.  

 

Pulpit

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

great stuff pupit , any pics to share with the class ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pulpit said:

The lake is so big when it’s full it changes the whole area and it comes alive for years. The main lake only ever fills every 30-40 years on average and then it takes 3-4 years to dry out.........

I have an old friend in South Aust who keeps threatening to do the Regatta with me... And partake of the feral grill at the Parachilna pub on the way up....

I have often mused about mitigating rising sea levels due to climate change by piping/canalling seawater into the middle of Australia, and a number of other desert regions around the world which are below sea level....  As you say, the difference for years after a big wet is quite extraordinary, imagine what could happen if it was permanent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember some talk of doing that to a huge depression in the Sahara - I'd guess it was Libya or maybe Egypt.

Couldn't see that it would hurt to try it - the land is dead anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mid said:

great stuff pupit , any pics to share with the class ?

Mid,

 

Its a great regatta and if you can find time to do it then go. 

 

The photo  is from Sailing at the last regatta 2 and a bit years ago. We were sailing on a lake that was on Mungerannie Station. It was 200 kms up the Birdsville track and then 70 kms in land. The lake was only 2-3 foot deep. 

 

Thats me sailng my 505 with the small kite up. The photo was taken by the Adelaide advertiser.

 

pulpit

BC8F75C3-503A-4767-A39C-CB251B003AB8.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sidecar said:

I have an old friend in South Aust who keeps threatening to do the Regatta with me... And partake of the feral grill at the Parachilna pub on the way up....

Sidecar,

Don’t just talk about dong it, just go. 

 

One of my mates Graham Stannage, who lives in tassie I think is going again this year. He is a Elgas supplier in tassie and if you were thinking of going talk to him. 

 

Its  a great bunch people and even old Alvin is likely to turn up. 

 

Pulpit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanxs pulpit , that is an awesome pic :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pulpit said:

......Don’t just talk about doing it, just go........

As it happens, I will be in South Ozz in a couple of weeks time seeing family and friends, I will let you know..... will play havoc with the boat maintenance/upgrade programme though....

@Sloop John B

There are below sea level depressions both in Libya and Egypt, also Caspian Sea, Dead Sea and a couple in USA? Probably lots of others....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

As it happens, I will be in South Ozz in a couple of weeks time seeing family and friends, I will let you know..... will play havoc with the boat maintenance/upgrade programme though....

 

Sidecar,

Go for it and have some fun.

 

If you need a boat to do the regatta then talk to Bob Backway the commodore as he may be able to help. At this stage our Boat that is at the club we will not be using.

 

pulpit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can get to this event just do it, the socialising is awesome, sailing is fun, scenery is awesome

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, madboutcats said:

If you can get to this event just do it, the socialising is awesome, sailing is fun, scenery is awesome

madboutcats 

Thanks for posting the videos. It’s great to see all of our old mate and all the different boats that turned up. You even had photo’s of the gaffa.

 

I still  tell people about one of my best ever sails. Sailing  the gaffa with the asso flying down to the Birdsville track missing trees and the time we all rebuilt Graham’s cat when he broke his beams with 4”x4” timber just so he could sail the Birdsville track.

 

These regatta’s  are some of the best fun Sailing and trips I’ve ever done. For us driving down from Queensland with the the kids we’re great family times. If you remember my daughter Adelaide.  She has just finished opti’s and is now sailng 420’s and she started Sailing at these regattas. 

 

Pulpit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this