Sign in to follow this  
Lpfroeb

29er Practice spinaker

Hi,

So the boat that I just got did not come with a practice spinnaker. I have looked everywhere and nobody seems to be selling them. Any recommendations where I should look?

Like i told ya last time, you'd be better posting 29er stuff in dinghy anarchy. This section of sailing anarchy is mostly leadminers. Second, if you're in america put a post on the google groups - i think some people might still use them. If you can get a hold of some coaches, ask them if any of their sailors have kites they want to sell. Else, use the kite you do have until it's a practice kite.... or if it's already crappy, buy a race kite. Most people don't like parting with 29er sails - they don't go quite as fast as 420 sails, so they tend to last a long time as practice sails - and when they're not good enough for practice sails they become recreational sails... Hell, i used the same suite for something like four years before i finally rotated them down to practice (was quite a bit overdue - felt like a new boat...)

You have become kind of gruff in your old age Mustang, how soon before you start yelling at kids to get off your lawn?

We ran three sets of sails back in the day when we were campaigning laser II.  We had a big regatta set, a local racing set and a practice set, we also kept a 420 kite (shy kite) for when it was blowing dogs.  We would use our race set the practice before a regatta so we could get them dialed in.   

Note that laser II sails were absolutel shit. We bought a new suit of sails every year and rotated them all down. 

7 hours ago, hobot said:

You have become kind of gruff in your old age Mustang, how soon before you start yelling at kids to get off your lawn?

fucking work man... it's like, work and shit. 

5 hours ago, IMR said:

We ran three sets of sails back in the day when we were campaigning laser II.  We had a big regatta set, a local racing set and a practice set, we also kept a 420 kite (shy kite) for when it was blowing dogs.  We would use our race set the practice before a regatta so we could get them dialed in.   

Note that laser II sails were absolutel shit. We bought a new suit of sails every year and rotated them all down. 

Could you run the C420 kite in races or was that practice only? Never got to experience the L2, seemed like a decent enough sym boat but the class died when i was getting into 420's. 

What is this practice thing you dinghy sailors talk about?

43 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

Could you run the C420 kite in races or was that practice only? Never got to experience the L2, seemed like a decent enough sym boat but the class died when i was getting into 420's. 

The RC's would not hold racing when we would use the 420 kite, most of the time they would leave a crash boat in the water for us just in case.  We would bash up wind for 30 minutes, put up the kite for 10 and do it all over again.