stenfjor

Nexus Nx2 Wind Issue .

Hello , I recently bought a Hanse 371 fitted with Nexus Marine instruments . I have trouble to get the wind transducer working . The NX2 Multi instrument is showing Dept, Log and Navigation but no wind . The Wind tranceducer is connected on right side of the FDX Server . The two diode starts blinking as soon as the Multi Instrument is on without getting and wind data in the display  .
The network on C76 is off . I have tried to set it to on and move the Wind to the Network side but that did not help in case it was Garmin GWind setup . 

Any expert on this system who see any troubleshooting ?  .

I would buy a second hand Multi Instrument to have in spare and tocheck if it have to do with the instrument that is onboard today .

Since the server diode on the wind is blinking I hope the server is okay and that might the wind tranceducer is okay ?  . Maybe some faulty instrument .

Appreciate any help !

Brgds

Svein M. T

11 hours ago, stenfjor said:

Hello , I recently bought a Hanse 371 fitted with Nexus Marine instruments . I have trouble to get the wind transducer working . The NX2 Multi instrument is showing Dept, Log and Navigation but no wind . The Wind tranceducer is connected on right side of the FDX Server . The two diode starts blinking as soon as the Multi Instrument is on without getting and wind data in the display  .
The network on C76 is off . I have tried to set it to on and move the Wind to the Network side but that did not help in case it was Garmin GWind setup . 

Any expert on this system who see any troubleshooting ?  .

I would buy a second hand Multi Instrument to have in spare and tocheck if it have to do with the instrument that is onboard today .

Since the server diode on the wind is blinking I hope the server is okay and that might the wind tranceducer is okay ?  . Maybe some faulty instrument .

Appreciate any help !

Brgds

Svein M. T

Since both LEDs are blinking your wind transducer and your server are okay. Since the multi is displaying depth and such then it is okay and getting data from the server. This is likely a configuration issue.

Set C51 to OFF to display AWA

Set C53 to kts

C54 should be set to 1.50 

Do not change C56 to C63. These values are corrections specific to your wind transducer and are hopefully set correctly by the prior owner.

Set C64 to WIA

Set C65 to LOW

Set C76 to OFF (as you said)

I'm curious what C73 is set to? If it is ON meaning you get boat speed from NMEA try setting it to OFF. If you're multi is set to display true wind and there is no NMEA input it might cause this issue.

What I find odd is that you are using a multi, as opposed to a wind display. If you had a wind display I would guess that the angle of the wind exceeded the display and you need to change it to display the full 180 degrees. With an NX2 Multi you should see angle and velocity on the wind page. Also, the multi can have certain display fields customized. Try putting the display on the wind page and cycle through the sub functions for wind and see if one of them works.

I´ve tried the setup proposal above , unfortunately I encounter Error 03 .  It worked for brief second but then I get  "- - -" on both Depth , Log and Navigation and the Multi display reboot after less than 30 second of and then of for 30 sec . After I did the changes above it worked for short period , Depth,Log and Navigation but the WIND selection was disabled .

Could the wind be disable due to C51 was turned OFF ?  .I Have only one instrument connection . That is the multi display . I have a analog wind and Autopilot Nexus instrument . but these are not connected due to troubleshooting. 

I did forgot to check C73  - it understand it should be OFF . Because NMEA is not configure in my system . Explanation above tell me that It could cause error ...

I Would check more tomorrow.  

What I diden´t understood today was that WIND on Multi instrument was disable (might C51?) and the apperance of Error 3 (Network) - (might C73)

By the way - how do I reset the memory of the display .to encounter the reboot . ?

Error 3 is a data timeout. 

C51 controls the navigation page and that should not impact the display of wind data.

C73 controls where the boat speed comes from. If you have a log transducer (the thing with the paddle wheel) then this should be set OFF. If you're getting boat speed from GPS SOG then it should be set ON. 

The reboot, in combination with Error 3, sounds like a network wiring issue. You could have a faulty cable or a bad connection somewhere, I suggest you check the wiring. If you don't know how it should be wired let me know and I'll explain. Since you have reliably flashing LEDs I would start with the cable between the server and th multi control. Before we can get it configured right, we need to make sure the wiring is okay.

Just to be sure, this is an NX2 multi or a classic multi?

C73 should then be off - I have log transducer with paddle wheel . I Would check more of the wiring and see if I can locate any bad connection. I think I have understanding of the wiring after reading the manual. I will ask if I am uncertain. 

I have the Multi Control NX2 display . 

Once again thank you for the support . I will check more and revert.

4 hours ago, stenfjor said:

I´ve tried the setup proposal above , unfortunately I encounter Error 03 .  It worked for brief second but then I get  "- - -" on both Depth , Log and Navigation and the Multi display reboot after less than 30 second of and then of for 30 sec . After I did the changes above it worked for short period , Depth,Log and Navigation but the WIND selection was disabled .

Could the wind be disable due to C51 was turned OFF ?  .I Have only one instrument connection . That is the multi display . I have a analog wind and Autopilot Nexus instrument . but these are not connected due to troubleshooting. 

I did forgot to check C73  - it understand it should be OFF . Because NMEA is not configure in my system . Explanation above tell me that It could cause error ...

I Would check more tomorrow.  

What I diden´t understood today was that WIND on Multi instrument was disable (might C51?) and the apperance of Error 3 (Network) - (might C73)

By the way - how do I reset the memory of the display .to encounter the reboot . ?

I have seen wonky stuff on Nexus networks when some instruments are disconnected and the remedy for that is to re-initialize the instrument(/s) still on the bus.  Sounds like a data issue more than anything else

Tried to encounter the problem today  . 

What did work :

Multi Instrument worked when turned ON.  . Depth, Log and Navigation was okay showing numbers .
C74 was off . 
Server responed with light blink . 

What did NOT Work : 
It was NOT possible to enter WIND menu- When pressing arrow right or left it "jumped" past WIND . 

What I did : 

Changed the setting C51 to ON - The Wind menu becomes available . 
NO data shown for Wind - just (- - -). But Depth, log and Navigation . 

Turned off the system. Turned on again. Multi Instrument failed again . (- - -) on all settings. 

I have not yet examine the wind transducer - if it could be any bad connection . I´m also uncertain about the type . ? 

Correct me if I´m wrong . 
It could either be original N-Wind Transducer made by Nexus or G - Wind made by Garmin who have a different Network Setup . 

I feel a little bit lost.... !?  . But I belive I need to be patience. 

I would received pre-owned NX2 Multi Instrument that I bought tomorrow - I will check if the problem still persist after that.. 

Since you said that the lights on the server are blinking, I assume that you have your wind transducer connected to the server port labeled "wind" correct?

In this case the transducer is neither an nWind nor a gWind, it's an older model. The nWind and gWind connect to the network. The older transducer connects directly to the server wind port and makes those lights blink.  Is it a twin fin?

It still sounds like your Multi is having trouble talking to the server. You said the analog displays are disabled. Are they actually disconnected? Try making sure that there is nothing connected to the network but the server an the Multi. Make sure the connections are clean and there is no corrosion. 

Make sure the network cable is just an unbroken length of cable. You don't want a lot of splices and such.

Yes - Transducer is connected to the right label Wind. It is a twin type. Assuming then that is the "old" type then yes. thank for the info .  

No daisy chain connected all connection are totally removed from Analog Wind and Autopilot . Only 1 multi hooked up.

I have also connected a new cable from Elfa Distrelect - of type  22AWG 3 cords include Screen . Similar to original. 

Maybe the Multi connection are a little bit worn . II would continue to examine to find the error. 

5 minutes ago, stenfjor said:

Yes - Transducer is connected to the right label Wind. It is a twin type. Assuming then that is the "old" type then yes. thank for the info .  

No daisy chain connected all connection are totally removed from Analog Wind and Autopilot . Only 1 multi hooked up.

I have also connected a new cable from Elfa Distrelect - of type  22AWG 3 cords include Screen . Similar to original. 

Maybe the Multi connection are a little bit worn . II would continue to examine to find the error. 

I assume you mean 3 conductors plus the screen for a total of 4. 

Can you post pics of the connections on the server and the multi? I'll have to review the manuals to see if I'm forgetting something. I can try to replicate this on my workbench as well. It would be very unusual for the server to fail in such a way that this would happen. When you start the system the multi will come up and tell you what version of it's firmware is running. Can you let me know what that is?

That's a older NX2 Multi but it should work fine. When it's set to the wind page, there should be a dash under the the word "Wind." Like the pic I attached of mine. Are you sure you're on the wind page?  Press the page button to skip from page to page.

Failing that, let's try reinitializing the instrument. From the manual:

3.2 Re-initializing the instrument If two instruments by mistake have the same ID number, this can cause disturbance and block the information on the Nexus data bus. To re-initialise the instrument, press CLEAR during the power up sequence when version and ID numbers are displayed. The display self test is then re-started on all instruments and you will be asked to press KEY on each instrument as explained above. Note! If you do not succeed to re-initialise, we suggest you disconnect all but one instrument with the same ID number, then repeat the above procedure.

By "KEY" it means "SET." The older (classic) instruments called the set button the key button.

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

I will check more closely the sub menu. The state the multi Control is in now is that it wont reinstall - pressing C in start ut do not help . Continues to boot . I learned today that after while it somehow apper to be working . If i do some changes and turn off and inn it goes into failure . I have not seen any wind data - But i will check the sub menu. 

Hope to test the new «old» multi tomorrow to compare the two instrument

37 minutes ago, stenfjor said:

I will check more closely the sub menu. The state the multi Control is in now is that it wont reinstall - pressing C in start ut do not help . Continues to boot . I learned today that after while it somehow apper to be working . If i do some changes and turn off and inn it goes into failure . I have not seen any wind data - But i will check the sub menu. 

Hope to test the new «old» multi tomorrow to compare the two instrument

Where are you and the boat?

18 hours ago, stenfjor said:

Norway :) - Middle of the country . Western part in the fjords . :)

Well that's a bit of a trip! Let us know how my make out.

The problem still persist . I can turn the instrument ON ,then LOG , DEPTH and NAV  are working correctly all except WIND . I even checked the subemenu under WIND (- - - ) No data . 
(Server is blinking under WIND )

If I do any changes to the setup . Turn OFF and ON it gives and ERROR 03  . 

I wondering a little bit of buying Garmin GNR10 and Garmin GNX Wind Instrument . If I have understood it correctly it could read analog wind from nexus server , and the Garmin GNX Wind need to be daisy chained to an nexus instrument in order to read data from server. GNR10 are connected to the Nexus server . 

I then think that I could use the old Multi instrument strictly as depth,log and nav instrument - without the wind option. 

Brgds

Svein Magne T

Please check whether C76 is set to "off". Only with this setting you´ll get the data from the NX2 sensor. If C76 is set to "on" the server waits for NMEA data. After you have to changed C76 you have to turn off the Server. Only than your changes are stored in the server.

Check also that the windspeed is set to AWS. As you haven´t installed the GPS there´s maybe no TWS available on the server.

I really love my NX2. I´ve a Hanse 400 and took the Simrad IS20 out and replaced it with an NX2 system. The NMEA 2000 sensors gets converted via Garmin GND10. Works perfect,

Klaus

I just saw that you have the 185khz version with 9pin computer connection (produced only 2003/2004). You can see this on the 3pin connection for depth.

The 200khz version uses a 4pin connector.

Unfortunately I´ve only the 185khz version of the installation manual in German. As it is too big to attach pls. use https://www.gotthardt-yacht.de/_Resources/Persistent/440a098f7dfcaa9b60414e49dc9ba485045aef2c/NX22172-3 Server Ger.pdf for download

2 hours ago, Apparillo said:

Please check whether C76 is set to "off". Only with this setting you´ll get the data from the NX2 sensor. If C76 is set to "on" the server waits for NMEA data. After you have to changed C76 you have to turn off the Server. Only than your changes are stored in the server.

Check also that the windspeed is set to AWS. As you haven´t installed the GPS there´s maybe no TWS available on the server.

I really love my NX2. I´ve a Hanse 400 and took the Simrad IS20 out and replaced it with an NX2 system. The NMEA 2000 sensors gets converted via Garmin GND10. Works perfect,

Klaus

Klaus, I'm sure the OP appreciates your suggestions, but read the whole thread.

6 hours ago, stenfjor said:

The problem still persist . I can turn the instrument ON ,then LOG , DEPTH and NAV  are working correctly all except WIND . I even checked the subemenu under WIND (- - - ) No data . 
(Server is blinking under WIND )

If I do any changes to the setup . Turn OFF and ON it gives and ERROR 03  . 

I wondering a little bit of buying Garmin GNR10 and Garmin GNX Wind Instrument . If I have understood it correctly it could read analog wind from nexus server , and the Garmin GNX Wind need to be daisy chained to an nexus instrument in order to read data from server. GNR10 are connected to the Nexus server . 

I then think that I could use the old Multi instrument strictly as depth,log and nav instrument - without the wind option. 

Brgds

Svein Magne T

Buying a GND10 (to convert Nexus Bus to N2K) and/or a GNX instrument probably won't help and will be an expensive way around the issue. What we really need to know if where this failure is, at the instrument (display), the server or in between. Nothing you are reporting makes much sense. The display is clearly getting valid data from the server, and I have never seen a server fail in this way.

WAIT!  I just remembered something! When I first got my Nexus twin fin and server, I had a very similar issue. It turned out that the mast cable had been made wrong at the factory. Two of the wires were switched, and there was a whole batch of cables made this way. I remember it took two trips up the mast before I figured this out. Out of frustration I went up with a multi meter and a really long wire and a helper below and I checked each conductor int he cable and that's how I figured it out. Oh, I remember being really pissed! I can't believe I didn't recall this earlier, but it was like 10 years ago.

What I don't remember is if the lights worked, but I think they did. If this is the case you can fix this by changing the wires at the server but I don't remember which pair was reversed. Let me ask someone who will remember and get back to you. 

Don't buy anything yet, there is hope!

Out of curiosity I changed the white and yellow one on the wind tranceducer side.  Turned on the wind instrument and the server was blinking (wind) but unfortunately no wind on display .

It could be totally different setup that is correct. Looking forward to get any info on how it could be set if I have wrongly connected wind tranceducer 

1 hour ago, stenfjor said:

Out of curiosity I changed the white and yellow one on the wind tranceducer side.  Turned on the wind instrument and the server was blinking (wind) but unfortunately no wind on display .

It could be totally different setup that is correct. Looking forward to get any info on how it could be set if I have wrongly connected wind tranceducer 

After checking, I'm told that there were about a hundred of these bad cables that shipped.  Unfortunately sometimes the yellow and white were reversed and sometimes the green and screen were reversed and I believe sometimes green and white or yellow and screen were reversed.  Very hit-and-miss.  So fool around with that. Disconnect the power each time you change the wires.

A for sure way to figure it out is to start of the top of the Mast With the Wind transducer which is correct and get your color coding up there and ring it out with tones or a VOM down below. We can get you a new mast cable too with that same connector, a few of those are still available.

Another option:

With the power off, remove the wind from the port. Then put the compass transducer into the wind port. If you get angle data  and it stays (you will have a fixed wind speed of like 8knts or so) then the server and settings are fine and it's a cable or MHU. The compass has the same voltage  output as the wind transducer.

If you need more help I can get you the number from someone at Garmin who can assist you on the phone.

I tried any possible connections but it either there was no light or at one combination I got one solid Blink . Shifting back to the original setup gave blinking diode . Seems like the best setup.. But no data. 

Compass transducer was also connected and gave input to wind . Possible that it then can be the cable or MHU  - Mast head unit !? 

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

51 minutes ago, stenfjor said:

I tried any possible connections but it either there was no light or at one combination I got one solid Blink . Shifting back to the original setup gave blinking diode . Seems like the best setup.. But no data. 

Compass transducer was also connected and gave input to wind . Possible that it then can be the cable or MHU  - Mast head unit !? 

Since the compass produced wind data when connected to the wind port, the issue is definitely with the cable or wind transducer. My money is still on the cable. Can you get the transducer down from the mast to connect it directly to the server?

I also notice that in those pics of the display with the compass connected to the wind port, you got the dash under the "wind" heading. 

yes the next step would definitely  be to examine the wind tranceduce.  

Hope to get this done by next week

thank for your kind support !

On 5/29/2018 at 3:32 PM, stenfjor said:

yes the next step would definitely  be to examine the wind tranceduce.  

Hope to get this done by next week

thank for your kind support !

Just remember - in 98% of the failure cases it is a connection or a cable issue rather than "real" failures

You can also check the wind transducer / mast cable with a multimeter

- disconnect yellow and white (14,15)

- connect screen and green (13,16) to cable brown and green

you should read with the multimeter set to voltage dc

- 12v between server 13/16

- changing voltage between yellow cable and screen (13)

- changing voltage between white cable and screen (13)

nWind PIN

32 minutes ago, olsen370 said:

You can also check the wind transducer / mast cable with a multimeter

- disconnect yellow and white (14,15)

- connect screen and green (13,16) to cable brown and green

you should read with the multimeter set to voltage dc

- 12v between server 13/16

- changing voltage between yellow cable and screen (13)

- changing voltage between white cable and screen (13)

nWind PIN

Since the server LEDs are blinking, it's almost certain that the proper voltages are present. He would need an oscilloscope to make sure the expected square wave is present. It seems the server is being confused by the analog data from the transducer. My money is still on a cable issue.  

Some years ago I had a similar problem with my nWind transducer - LED where blinking but no data.

I went several times up in the mast, to replace the transducer, to check the cables /connectors - at the end if found there was a problem with my server. The power for the nWind was only about 6-8V between Pin 13 an 16. After replacing the server everything worked well.

So to do the check is a easy way the prevent a lot of work up in the mast :-)

and yes if you own a oscilloscope it would be better ..

This monday I have rented forklift to examine the mast top. Hope to reveal the problem then ! . Thank you for all feedback . Keep you posted.

Finally . Managed to get hold on a lift this evening. I took down the transducer for closer look . Is this the G-Wind type right.  

It have then been wrongly connected to the server . 

In the top it was converter connection to 3 conductor + shield . I looked like a poor connection . 

I will try to make connection to the server before I connected it to the top again. I dont know how I can do that in a smart way when I don´t have the converter 

is it possible to improvise . 

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

Mystery solved.

If you have the old style mast cable, which I assume you do, you'll need this:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/pn/010-12117-02

And of course, as you said, you need to connect the wind transducer to the network port. The entire problem could have been that you had the cable connected to the wrong port; the adapter you have and the cable you have may very well be fine. 

But since you have it down, try hooking it up directly to the server. You could use alligator clip leads or something like this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9140

Good :)  . Yes I will try to find something that you recommend and see if the transducer will work on the server before I go up again . 

C76 would be ON . then and then it would be connected to the same network port as the instrument on the left side 5-6-7-8 . 

By the way could it be beneficial to have the Garmin GN10 box for anything ? - I have chartplotter with GPS prepared for NMEA 2000 . 

or can I obtain the same thing connecting the Chartplotter Lawrence Global 8600.  directly to in and out put on the server. 

since the Nexus server can read NMEA 2000. 

1 hour ago, stenfjor said:

Good :)  . Yes I will try to find something that you recommend and see if the transducer will work on the server before I go up again . 

C76 would be ON . then and then it would be connected to the same network port as the instrument on the left side 5-6-7-8 . 

By the way could it be beneficial to have the Garmin GN10 box for anything ? - I have chartplotter with GPS prepared for NMEA 2000 . 

or can I obtain the same thing connecting the Chartplotter Lawrence Global 8600.  directly to in and out put on the server. 

since the Nexus server can read NMEA 2000. 

No C76 need to be OFF. I would only be ON if you had the transducer connected to the server's NMEA 0183 input port.

The GND10 bridges the NMEA2000 and Nexus buses. Data from the Nexus "network" bus goes through the GND10 to the N2K bus and vice versa. You configure the GND10 to know where the source of each type of data is. For example, you can tell it to use the depth from the server or you can tell it you have a depth sounder on the N2K bus. I have an GND10 and it publishes my wind data and depth data to the N2K bus, so my Garmin GPSMAP 942 can display it and send it to my Virb camera. 

Many plotters will accept data from NMEA 0183 as well, and the server can send data out via NMEA 0183. Depending upon what you want to do, you may not need a GND10. I probably didn't need it but I have a bunch of Nexus stuff so I grabbed it.

Just for information:
If you have to replace the original nWind Race from NEXUS with the garmin gWind Race replacement you need the following parts:

Garmin 010-01228-00 gWind Race 
Garmin 010-12117-03 adapter cable
Garmin 010-12117-07 bracket

With this parts you can reuse the mast cable and you can use the connection as it was before. Don’t forget to calibrate the new transducer.

I now realize that I forgot to bring down the adapter cable from nexus to garmin together with the trancducer yesterday  . But Is it possible to connect 4 cables to the Garmin she connector in order to test it with nexus server or  Do I need the adapter ? 

10 hours ago, stenfjor said:

thank you for good explanation jarcher !

Is this the pin setup for Garmin connection (N-WIND)  ?  - . I need to identify the pin in order to hook them up to the server :)

https://www.gotthardt-yacht.de/_Resources/Persistent/fac764be1a1f9c4217e58f3f823a9666c8197cb8/Windmess_Geber_Steckerbelegung.pdf

Well your gWind has a 5 pin connector and the Nexus bus, as you know, is a 4 conductor bus. I don't actually have a pinout for the gWind. Let me see if I can get it for you.

It would have been handy if you had brought down the adapter if for no other reason than you can test it. Again, the most likely cause of your issue was that the gWind was connected to the server wind port instead of the server network port, but since you have it down you should test it. To hook it up you'll have to improvise. Just get some small alligator clip lead wires and hook it to the server. For a short distance of a foot or so that will be fine. But you'll need the pinout first, so sit tight.

Here you go. You may want to order the adapter though. You sad the connection at the mast head was not food. It's probably not very expensive and you only want to go up the mast so many times.

gwind-pinout.png

Briliant !  I will look for a new adapter cable . Meantime I will check that the Gwind tranceducer works .

Very much appreciated for all  help 

Oh good God my typing sucks today! I just read my last post. Anyhow, you're welcome, good luck, let us know how you make out.

Tried to make it work today . Unfortunately with out a positive outcome .

I would check more if I have any bad connection .

my setup

• Wind Transducer is connected to  network pin 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 .  with the instruments.
  • 76 OFF  

Keep you posted.

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

I have to go out the door, nut as a quick reply before a closer look, show us how the display is connected as well. Your pics don't clearly show the bus wiring.

This morning I was pretty confident in solving the Wind Tranceducer issue that I have!  

Turned out that the Garmin To Nexus cable was twisted. Yellow was shield and shield was Yellow.  Green and White was the only correct ones 
After correction the connection with pin with terminal block I tested connection trough Garmin to Nexus Adapter and got "beeps" for the 3 conductors and the shield.  

I further connected the cable directly to Network - 5-6-7-8 .Instrument was setup to 76 OFF. No Result :-(

In frustration I cut the  Nexus connection side of the Garmin plug and connected the correct colours trough the terminal block and further to Network . Neither a result. 

(Beep with multimeter was tested okay) 

* Can anyone confirm that the Garmin Gwind Transducer shall be connected to port 5-6-7-8 (Network) and Multi instrument to be set to 76 OFF. 

Last resort is to some way test the Garmin Gwind transducer is actually working  .
I have no clue if that only can be tested on another Garmin / Nexus system or that you acutely can measure it with Multimeter ? .

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

15 hours ago, stenfjor said:

This morning I was pretty confident in solving the Wind Tranceducer issue that I have!  

Turned out that the Garmin To Nexus cable was twisted. Yellow was shield and shield was Yellow.  Green and White was the only correct ones 
After correction the connection with pin with terminal block I tested connection trough Garmin to Nexus Adapter and got "beeps" for the 3 conductors and the shield.  

I further connected the cable directly to Network - 5-6-7-8 .Instrument was setup to 76 OFF. No Result :-(

In frustration I cut the  Nexus connection side of the Garmin plug and connected the correct colours trough the terminal block and further to Network . Neither a result. 

(Beep with multimeter was tested okay) 

* Can anyone confirm that the Garmin Gwind Transducer shall be connected to port 5-6-7-8 (Network) and Multi instrument to be set to 76 OFF. 

Last resort is to some way test the Garmin Gwind transducer is actually working  .
I have no clue if that only can be tested on another Garmin / Nexus system or that you acutely can measure it with Multimeter ? .

IMG_1942.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

First, what cable is that? It looks like the old style mast cable. Did you remove your cable from the mast? 

Yes, as I said in an earlier post, the gWind goes on the Nexus Network port and C73 should be OFF.

I manage to get down the adapter yes it was essential to connect it to Server .

old style ? not sure . It was twisted . I cut of the nexus end to eliminate the possibility for errors .

Thanks' for the  confirmation on the network setting .

Next step :

How about testing the wind transducer actually is working .

- Can I connect green and shield and use multimeter with oscilloscope to check pulse on yellow and white ?

I'm still a big confused about all the wiring pictures.  It would help if you summarized your latest wiring from the Server network pins all the way to the Garmin wind transducer.  I see orange, grey, etc -- quite confusing...!

As for the multimeter, grab it and measure:

(a) Voltage between Green and screen at the server network pins with the server on.  This powers the network -- should be ok since your network is functional.

(b) Voltage between Green and screen (or their equivalents) at the end of the wind transducer cable. Does it match (a)?

(c) Voltage between yellow and screen at the end of the wind transducer cable (while connected to the transducer and server on) -- you should get a voltage for either AWA or AWS (not sure which one)

(d) Voltage between white and screen at the end of the wind transducer cable -- you should get a voltage for the other value of AWA/AWS that you didn't get in (c)

(e) If you can, measure continuity on all the above wires (green, screen, yellow, white) from server to end of wind transducer cable. That will make sure there are no mix-ups in your connections.

20 minutes ago, galacticair said:

I'm still a big confused about all the wiring pictures.  It would help if you summarized your latest wiring from the Server network pins all the way to the Garmin wind transducer.  I see orange, grey, etc -- quite confusing...!

As for the multimeter, grab it and measure:

(a) Voltage between Green and screen at the server network pins with the server on.  This powers the network -- should be ok since your network is functional.

(b) Voltage between Green and screen (or their equivalents) at the end of the wind transducer cable. Does it match (a)?

(c) Voltage between yellow and screen at the end of the wind transducer cable (while connected to the transducer and server on) -- you should get a voltage for either AWA or AWS (not sure which one)

(d) Voltage between white and screen at the end of the wind transducer cable -- you should get a voltage for the other value of AWA/AWS that you didn't get in (c)

(e) If you can, measure continuity on all the above wires (green, screen, yellow, white) from server to end of wind transducer cable. That will make sure there are no mix-ups in your connections.

It's a little more complicated that that. If he has a fast analog volt meter he might see the needle dancing on the data pins but he really needs an oscilloscope and, as important, the knowledge of how to use it and what its telling him. Remember that what's coming out of a gWind is RS485 data, and its differential, not single ended. So between the shield and the data wires he'll see pulses from -7V to +12V. A good digital scope could even decode it and validate that the data is valid data. But this is more than we should expect from some poor guy trying to make his wind transducer work. 

I too was confused by the pics and so on and didn't have  time to look carefully, which is why I had not responded yet. But he said he is looking at the adapter that goes from the gWind to the old style connector at the masthead (the large, 4 pin connector) and he said it was made wrong (twisted or something). There are no known instances where that adapter cable was made incorrectly. There were a few mast cables made wrong, way back when. I asked if he pulled the mast cable out to test but he didn't say (or maybe I suggested that). 

It's very unlikely that the gWind is broken, and also unlikely that the server is the issue since, as you said, his bus is working. Evidence of all this is that if he put a damaged device on the bus (like a broken gWind) it probably would screw up the entire bus. This is almost certainly a wiring issue, uness the gWind is completely dead. I suppose it could be, but unlikely.

So OP, don't bother with the volt meter or the O scope, just start from scratch with the wiring and connect the gWind on the Nexus bus. Then, reinitialize the entire network by pressing the C button on the NX2 Multi right after you power it up. You can use the Race Software if you want, it should show the gWind on the bus. 

If you really think the gWind is damaged contact Garmin Support and see what they suggest. I don't know what the warranty is but it's a pricy piece of kit so hopefully they will do something for you. But if I had to bet, I would bet money that it's fine.

8 minutes ago, jarcher said:

It's a little more complicated that that. If he has a fast analog volt meter he might see the needle dancing on the data pins but he really needs an oscilloscope and, as important, the knowledge of how to use it and what its telling him. Remember that what's coming out of a gWind is RS485 data, and its differential, not single ended. So between the shield and the data wires he'll see pulses from -7V to +12V. A good digital scope could even decode it and validate that the data is valid data. But this is more than we should expect from some poor guy trying to make his wind transducer work. 

Thanks for that education -- I'd always assume you can look at the signal like on a log transducer, but clearly I'm wrong!

Agreed on the wiring piece.  Lesson #1 with Nexus systems: unplug everything and plug pieces back in one by one, using direct wiring to avoid any doubt. 

Maybe if Nexus had adopted consumer-friendly plug & play wiring like NMEA 2000 and other manufacturers have done (Simnet, Raynet), and a consumer-friendly network diagnostic tool (like Tactick has), Nexus would still be in business...!  I can only imagine how many Nexus systems have been abandoned due to simple connection issues or one device failing but being too hard to troubleshoot.  Getting Nexus Race software up and running helps a lot with the troubleshooting since that allows the network diagnostics. 

27 minutes ago, galacticair said:

Thanks for that education -- I'd always assume you can look at the signal like on a log transducer, but clearly I'm wrong!

Agreed on the wiring piece.  Lesson #1 with Nexus systems: unplug everything and plug pieces back in one by one, using direct wiring to avoid any doubt. 

Maybe if Nexus had adopted consumer-friendly plug & play wiring like NMEA 2000 and other manufacturers have done (Simnet, Raynet), and a consumer-friendly network diagnostic tool (like Tactick has), Nexus would still be in business...!  I can only imagine how many Nexus systems have been abandoned due to simple connection issues or one device failing but being too hard to troubleshoot.  Getting Nexus Race software up and running helps a lot with the troubleshooting since that allows the network diagnostics. 

Oh on a log transducer you can, at least more easily. All you get out of a log transducer is a bunch of 5 volt pulses when you spin the paddlewheel. The older wind transducers did something very similar. So did the older compass transducers. Depth is a little different, but still plugs into a dedicated port on the server. These devices all plugged into the dedicated ports on the server. The server would count/time the pulses, do some math and then publish the resulting data on the Nexus "network" which is a standard RS485 bus. Originally there were only "instruments" aka displays on the Nexus bus.

This all goes way back, well before N2K and even some other instrument bus systems. The goal of the Nexus network was to have "high speed" data, much faster than NMEA 0183. And it worked; lot's of data on that bus. Eventually Nexus decided they wanted to move away from the server architecture and started making devices that connect directly to the Nexus network. So then came along the nWind, nGPS and HPC compass, all of which did not connect directly to the server ports but instead sat on the Nexus network bus. Personally I prefer the server approach, but they didn't ask my opinion ;-)

I think Nexus would still be in business if Garmin had not bought them. Nexus is very popular outside the US and still works well.

Anyhow, Garmin did buy Nexus and promptly decided to kill the Nexus bus in favor of N2K. People were connecting more and more devices on the Nexus Network and it was thought to be too slow, or so they say. I think consumer desire for N2K was a bigger driver than the argument that the old bus was too slow. Regardless, that's where we are now.  It's been a success. Garmin had much more engineering resources to throw at it and we do see some stuff we might not have seen but for the sale. The new displays are quite nice. The log transducer is still the best paddlewheel transducer available on any system. And their was actually a slight price reduction. There were some changes to the nWind, now called the gWind, and the HPC and nGPS were cancelled for various reasons. It's not perfect yet, but they are making progress.  

As for troubleshooting a Nexus bus/network. Yup, disconnect all the pieces and add them back until you find the offending device. The Race software does help, although it could be much better. I think you're right that people probably have moved away from Nexus because of trouble shooting issues. But some people have a big investment in their Nexus gear, and it should work just fine. I have a lot of NX2 gear, a server, log transducer, HPC compass and just recently got an nWind race transducer. I added a GND10 to translate Nexus to N2K so I can see the data on my plotter. I'll probably add some of the new displays but those are pricy so I have to save my pennies. I have some NXR gear for sale ;-) But anyhow, it all works very well for me.

Im sorry about the confusion . I´m suffering for being an amature with lack of understanding about the system . Im trying to learn of your post and I have gained much more knowledge. I must admit that the last post I have been confused and tired of not solving the issue . 

Jarcher thank you very much for the patience and help on responding and the rest of you .

I will assume that the wind transducer is working and go trough the wiring again and reset the Multi by pressing C. Taking step by step . 

Keep you posted.  

21 minutes ago, stenfjor said:

Im sorry about the confusion . I´m suffering for being an amature with lack of understanding about the system . Im trying to learn of your post and I have gained much more knowledge. I must admit that the last post I have been confused and tired of not solving the issue . 

Jarcher thank you very much for the patience and help on responding and the rest of you .

I will assume that the wind transducer is working and go trough the wiring again and reset the Multi by pressing C. Taking step by step . 

Keep you posted.  

You're welcome. But you may want to call Garmin and see if they can offer any help. Also, if its not cost prohibitive (I don't know what it would cost) maybe order a mast cable and use that to hook it up. That way you're sure that it's wired correctly.

Or maybe you won't be. You have exactly three devices on the bus: server, NX2 Multi and gWind. Can you draw a simple diagram of how you are wiring it and post it here? Perhaps you're making a mistake when you are wiring up the bus.

And I know this might complicate matters a bit, but once you have it working you'll need to make one more simple change, described int eh attached document. It's just a jumper to add to make sure the advanced wind calibration feature works correctly. But get the transducer working correctly first, not having this jumper won't cause your problem. 

Nexus nWind FDX wind jumper.pdf

Hoping this made it easier for you to check the correct wiring and to check the gWind transducer. I did the check with my spare gWind race yesterday.

gWindServerConnection2.png

@olsen370 thank you . For the drawing .  

I decided to bring home the server and the transducer for more troubleshooting  . 

In this system the wind transducer is connected to server together with the Multi Instrument nothing else. The transducer is connected to the colour code with terminal connectors. Since the Nexus plug on the Garmin to Nexus was cutted. (I have order a new cable from Garmin) . I have checked with multi meter that there are connection between the cable ends. 

When I got power on it is on for some minutes then it goes to error code 2 or 3 .

I Have tried to press C on startup / boot sequence - no respons . it goes directly into the menu . without the display "Press Key ". 

I tried to connect the R232- USB - and it connected with the racing software on com3 . Calibration and configure menu was not enabled. 

@jarcher do you have any tips for the factory reset when C is not working- or if possible to control this from my pc . ?

IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

I think those error codes mean a bus timeout. Try taking the wind transducer off the bus, so that the only thing on the bus is the Multi. See if you can initialize the system with the C key. To answer your question, the only two ways I know to reinitialize are the C key and the Race Software.

For Nexus Race, make sure you are properly connected, see my screenshots below:

- Most, if not all, the icons should be lit up in green (instead of grey), and the status should be "Ready"

- Once you have that, go to System Configuration and send us a screenshot of the "Equipment list" once you have everything connected.  This should give an idea of the status of each device on the system.  In some cases I've noticed issues like the "Synchronization" bar behaves strangely (indicates "Done" then flashes off again, then flashes back to "Done", indicating transducer issues), or I have seen a "Synchronizing configuration (overall progress)" bar at the bottom of the screen, stuck at a partial %, e.g. 62%, indicating a server issue.  Or if a device doesn't get listed, then you either have a wiring problem, or the device is dead.

941039390_ScreenShot2018-06-15at10_13_39PM.thumb.png.8980cfa9b304002ed0b058511901b55a.png

1660527510_160131NexusRaceconfiguration-withGND10MRC.JPG.85a4fa3b222fcae8ae74066eeb402c99.JPG

@olsen370

@galacticair

@jarcher

Finally I made some improvements!!. I disconnected the Multi and connected the analog wind instrument . Then I managed to connected the FDX Racesoftware and witness that the wind and heading was shown wind heading and wind speed :)  . After that I tried to connect the multi in daisy chain . I Finally got the Presskey . But it return with an error 02 and error 03 . The racesoftware and the analog wind was working when the multi failed !. 

What do you think can be done with the Multi to get it working !? . :) 

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

So if I understand you, the Multi gives you an error even while the wind data is being displayed on the computer? Try this: Turn it off. Hook it up with the analog display, the multi and the wind transducer as you have done.  Turn it on and spin the wind transducer to simulate wind. Do this for several minutes straight. Do you still get wind data - both on the computer and the analog display - during that whole time?

If so I suppose it's possible that the Multi is failing. Before I decided that I would replace the wiring to it with different wire and triple check that you have it hooked up correctly. If he test above works and you get wind data even as you get errors on the multi then it's a good bet the multi is the issue. Apparently the multi failing is not impacting the rest of the bus. But like I said, try different wiring and connectors.