Sign in to follow this  
cinnr

cleaning spider poop off gelcoat

What products to you use to quickly and easily clean spider poop stains off gelcoat and painted non-skid decks?  Power washer did nothing to them.

I just wash as usual and let the sunlight bleach them out. If you're desperate, 3M fiberglass restorer and wax will do the trick.

Aurora Boat Scrub with a hard bristle brush. After I wax the deck with Aurora Sure Step, spider  poop stain go off with only a wet mop.

80 grit.

Seriously though, if you don't mind spraying poisons, Ortho Home Defense works wonders to mitigate those poopy little 8-legged bastards.

As for cleaning up the remaining mess after you wage chemical warfare, I can't help you (except for that 80 grit recommendation).

Soft Scrub... It has a high bleach content that usually works without scrubbing.

This only happens in freshwater. I’ve barely ever seen a spider on the Pacific or Atlantic coasts, but jeebus what spiders there be in the Great and Finger Lakes.

Last I checked, Puget Sound was pretty salty and there's no shortage of spiders in the area, especially the marinas.

friend, 6'4", 380lbs, bought a tartan 27 on a lake out here... he was really proud of the purchase,  I'd taken him sailing his one and only time up until then..   anyway, went to visit it one evening..

he jumps on the boat  ..  i'm standing on the dock..   he's like , jump on...

uh, no..    why not..

I reach over and shake the boat the boat with my leg, about 100 spiders about 1/2 dollar size started moving around..   never seen a big guy move that fast before..

i kept ribbing him over the years, should have renamed the boat  Arachnophobia

9 hours ago, IStream said:

Last I checked, Puget Sound was pretty salty and there's no shortage of spiders in the area, especially the marinas.

so you have salty spiders? or are they just crusty

The spiders are salty. The sailors are crusty.

I had a problem with spiders, wasps and daubers.  Been spraying permethrin on the sail cover and various areas where I’m likely to find webs. People safe, and used as an insect repellant in camping gear. No more spider poop. Less bird droppings since no bird food on the boat. 

23 hours ago, Leadfootinaleadmine said:

I had a problem with spiders, wasps and daubers.  Been spraying permethrin on the sail cover and various areas where I’m likely to find webs. People safe, and used as an insect repellant in camping gear. No more spider poop. Less bird droppings since no bird food on the boat. 

I've had good luck with peppermint oil to keep the wasps away. 

Magic Erasers are great for spider poop, and purple-berry bird poop.

2 hours ago, blurocketsmate said:

I've had good luck with peppermint oil to keep the wasps away. 

Magic Erasers are great for spider poop, and purple-berry bird poop.

My formula for a Spider and Spider Poop Solution, works on all types of decks:

1 Gallon of Gasoline / 4 Litres Petrol

3 Gallons of Kerosene / 12 Litres of Parafin

Mix well.

Spread liberally around affected areas. Let soak.

Light match. Throw onto affected area. Problem solved!

After 100 re-posts, you've successfully killed what was at one time a pretty funny joke.

On 7/16/2018 at 9:38 PM, IStream said:

All things are relative. Speaking relatively, there are no spiders in the PNW. I'm comparing it to Lake Ontario where the spiders would take over your boat if you left it for a couple of days, and Lake Chickamauga on the TVA where the spiders will take over your boat it you leave it for a couple of hours. Those spiders have a method of feet forward and back streamlining them into a little stick. Very difficult to hose off, they just go stick on you and hunker down. Then when you finally wash them into the water, they pop up, swim back, and start boarding the topsides like pirates. It's just like a horror movie, or perhaps the broom scene from Fantasia if you are old enough. If you get them into the water and blast with a hose for awhile they don't seem to reappear - and yet drop from the ceiling or blow on from the wind or climb the lines. 3 hours after a thorough washing, there were 50 spiders crawling the deck again. I think the only cure would be neutron bombing the area.

Oh, my wife and kids would just love that. Beyond the spiders themselves, there's the implication that there are enough flying insects to feed them all.

I guess I'll be crossing Lake Chickamauga off my bucket list. 

On 7/19/2018 at 10:04 AM, IStream said:

After 100 re-posts, you've successfully killed what was at one time a pretty funny joke.

52d433c7c398c311f3fba0ef165b050b.jpg

On Lake Erie as a dock boy at the Catawba Island Club with a guy named Noah, we used Windex with vinegar to keep the spiders at bay and also dissolved their poop.

As mentioned somewhere above, a watered down bleach solution and a stiff brush or nail brush should remove all traces of shit from the non slip, let if soak for about 10 minutes before wasting effort on scrubbing.