Sign in to follow this  
Shootist Jeff

The debate over assault weapons

There’s a single thing that correlates with mass shootings:  gun ownership per capita.

Not poverty, not religion, not culture, not “race”, not skin color, not education, not climate, not government type, not anything but gun ownership per capita.

You want to stop mass shootings?  Make gun ownership as restricted as car ownership.  Licensed, insured, tested, medically limited, restricted and policed and taxed.  With the “fuel” taxed as well.

All the rest of the yammering is nothing but thoughts and prayers.

• Like 2

I think other than Pert Bush not one GOP leader has called this what it is white national terrorism.  

ODD!

Trump hasn’t even bothered to address the shootings on TV

• Like 1

So I the Dayton shooting (the video of which is horrifying) the perp managed to fire nearly 100 rounds in 1 minute.  He managed that thanks to a “Tommy gun” style drum.  My reasonable proposal?  Ban those drums and put any found with one or who sells one in jail for a year.  No parole.  Oh yeah ban the AW as wel.

21 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:
On 8/4/2019 at 7:00 AM, Repastinate Tom said:

I see that we had two very convenient mass shootings yesterday and the gungrabby chorus is doing everything they can to make the murderers more famous, which is what they want and what will cause more of them.

Convenient?  You are one sick fuck.

Just because I observe reality?

You haven't noticed the plethora of posts about recent mass shootings from people who want to ban your guns? Obviously, they find them convenient for gungrabby purposes. And I'm sick because of their twisted behavior?

Meanwhile, the mass shootings that they don't find convenient continue.

Mass Shooting In Illinois

District

Congressional District: 7
State Senate District: 5
State House District: 9

Eight people were shot about 3:43 a.m. in the 4200 block of West 18th Street, Chicago police said.

Witnesses were not cooperating with Area Central detectives, police said.

Yes, of course it's Chicago again and of course it's the stupid drug war again. But Undoing Something isn't a hot topic. 8 is more than four so we must DO SOMETHING.

Mass Shooting In Tennessee

District

Congressional District: 9
State Senate District: 29
State House District: 85

Two victims were taken to the hospital in critical condition, the third victim was killed, and the fourth victim was located in the 4600 block of Vega in non-critical condition.

The victims have not been identified by police. It's also unclear if the suspect knew the victims. 

No suspect information is available at this time.

If you have any information on this case, please call Crime Stoppers at 528-CASH.

Gee, the police locate a victim instead of the other way around and want to pay for cooperation. In other words, the stupid drug war again. But Undoing Something isn't a hot topic. Four is four so we must DO SOMETHING.

District

State House District: 9

Seven people were wounded in a shooting Sunday as they gathered in Douglas Park on the West Side.

About 1:20 a.m., they were standing in the park in the 2900 block of West Roosevelt Road when someone opened fire from a black Camaro, Chicago police said.

Yes, of course it's Chicago again and of course it's the stupid drug war again. But Undoing Something isn't a hot topic. 7 is more than four so we must DO SOMETHING.

Mass Shooting In New York

District

Congressional District: 9
State Senate District: 25
State House District: 55

• An additional gunshot victim has been found.
  •  
    2:02:43 AM EDT
    Three ambulances have been requested.
  •  
    2:02:36 AM EDT
    Police confirm a man was shot in the chest, and two women have also been found with gunshots wounds.

Again it's a bastion of gun control and again it looks like the stupid drug war because police are locating victims instead of victims locating police. But Undoing Something isn't a hot topic. Four is four so we must DO SOMETHING.

@Repastinate Tom Read the handwriting on the wall, Pooplius. You don't need to sound so stupid and hard-headed here. Plan some graceful profile you can use for the next few years, but you need to shift some gears for your own sake.

43 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

@Repastinate Tom Read the handwriting on the wall, Pooplius. You don't need to sound so stupid and hard-headed here. Plan some graceful profile you can use for the next few years, but you need to shift some gears for your own sake.

The sad truth is that there is no way for this to go in reverse, and neither Tom nor Dana Loesch nor any of the other brain surgeons out there have any idea what they are going to do when it happens every day and the people of this country say 'enough'.  How many dead before there's a constitutional amendment, Tom?  Not much SCOTUS can do about it then.

2 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:
On 8/4/2019 at 6:49 AM, Cal20sailor said:

Convenient?  You are one sick fuck.

Your keen observation of reality is spot on, that guns must be confiscsated, just because. It is how you are handling the reality which becomes a problem. And an optic.

George Wallace and Justice Taney were not moved by their better angels. They were moved by collisions with circumstances.

Please note, the very topic of this thread itself, a yuge, growing problem, was hijacked... on the road to Libertarian glory.

Robert Levy.jpg

Robert Levy, of Naples FL.jpg

ABOUT THE OPTICS: see Post 1704, two hours ago...

The thread was transformed a review of AW's to a parade of the indicator of mental illness, that is,  the continuous repetition of a behavior which was a failure from the start.

On 7/21/2019 at 6:13 AM, Repastinate Tom said:

(place blanket drug war innuendo here, every day)

What kind of people don't immediately talk to police when their friends have been shot?

Here is the answer:  The kind that listen to dogballs.

They respond to being fed a stream of fear, divisiveness, and independence.

These jokers are placed by Libertarians at the same level as LE , yeah, both or neither get their gunz...

This kind will eventually rally, after the steady no-knock content, right about when it gets to the part about "no badge required".    :o

4 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Again it's a bastion of gun control and again it looks like the stupid drug war because police are locating victims instead of victims locating police. 

Tom, please recall that most of us stopped being polite to you after you humorously called for the regulation of Dodge Challengers like the one used in the Charlottesville murder. 

It's crypto-Nazis like you who give low lifes a bad name. 

Folks, please stop responding respectfully to this weasel. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Tom, please recall that most of us stopped being polite to you after you humorously called for the regulation of Dodge Challengers like the one used in the Charlottesville murder. 

what if the very exposure is exhilarating?

25 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

I stoped quoting him 6 months ago because I think he’s a threat to the community.  Still important to shine a spotlight on his crazy.

20 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

How many dead before there's a constitutional amendment, Tom?  Not much SCOTUS can do about it then.

I would like to see a constitutional amendment ending our foolish drug prohibition as was done with alcohol prohibition. I think the reduction in violence we saw back then could be repeated. Or were you talking about something else?

2 minutes ago, Repastinate Tom said:

I would like to see a constitutional amendment ending our foolish drug prohibition as was done with alcohol prohibition. I think the reduction in violence we saw back then could be repeated. Or were you talking about something else?

Confused much? It is the dogballs who is changing the subject, from common massacres, to a boogy man, and a canard, the drug war.

Common, huh?

On 8/4/2019 at 10:48 AM, BrickTopHarry said:

Or...

On 8/4/2019 at 2:39 AM, Shortforbob said:

Well hold on to your hats, you've another 9 or ten coming before the end of the year. 

2019 (so far) 10 11

2018 -19

2017 - 22

2016- 14

2015 -10

2014 -7

2013 -7

2012- 12

2011 -6

2010 - 5

2009- 6

2008- 3

2007 - 4

Think about it. Quadrupled in 10 years. doubled in the last 4. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mass_shootings_in_the_United_States#2019

So there have been 11. Or maybe 249. But the latter number includes a lot of inconvenient drug war shootings that get no TnP from anyone but me.

Bricktopharry's post is just more fearmongering. You want a real threat? Your doctor followed by your car...

4 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Common, huh?

Or...

You got busy trying to confuse the awful numbers. Not very classy, and not very honest. You tried to lead the way to a terrible future.

Sorry, but I am pleased to see your dreams collapsing. Poor dogballs.

Now we have to patch up after your elk.

You want a real threat? Your doctor followed by your car...

I'll take my chances with that, but not with your gun program.

Mass Shooting In Maryland

District

Congressional District: 4
State Senate District: 25
State House District: 25

police say at around 1 p.m. they received a call about a fight in progress in the parking lot of the strip mall and when officers arrived they found approximately 100 people fighting in the middle of Suitland Road. 

"While they are on scene dealing with that very tense situation they hear multiple gunshots break out about 200 yards up the street from where I am — in front of a townhome development — they see a sedan speeding away from the townhouse development.”

The officers responding to the gunshots found an adult male inside a car stopped just off Suitland Road in the townhouse community. Witnesses told FOX 5 the car's windows were shattered by the gunfire and there were bloody clothes on the ground.

Donelan said the man was transported to a local hospital in grave condition. There was no description of the car fleeing the scene.

100 people in the street and no one can describe the fleeing car? Sounds like the stupid drug war again. But four is four so TnP of DOING SOMETHING.

Mass Shooting In Michigan

District

Congressional District: 13
State House District: 10

At 8:50 p.m., police say a man opened fire at the So Unfair Beauty Bar on W. Seven Mile Road a few blocks east of the Southfield Freeway after a dice game, injuring a 23-year-old and three 24-year-olds. The victims are expected to survive.

The suspect was still on the loose Wednesday, and police said they had no information on the shooter.

Could be some random person but more likely the victims knew who shot them and aren't talking to the police, generally because police are the enemy in the stupid drug war we maintain. But four is four so TnP of DOING SOMETHING.

Mass Shooting In Missouri

District

Congressional District: 1
State Senate District: 4
State House District: 76

ST. LOUIS, Mo. — Three men were shot and two of them died after a fiery crash near Interstate 70 and the Riverview exit in north St. Louis on Wednesday afternoon. St. Louis Metropolitan Police reported the one survivor was in critical condition. He was found in a car on Plover Ave. near the scene of the crash.

Police said shell casings they recovered in the area indicate several different types of firearms were used.

He said investigators started looking for witnesses to help police piece together what happened. He said anyone who has information but his not comfortable talking with police can call Crimestoppers and remain anonymous. That number is 1-866-371-TIPS (8477).

Hmm... what's likely to make people uncomfortable talking to police? The violent gangs involved in the illegal drug business is again the most likely answer. But four is four so TnP of DOING SOMETHING.

6 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

There's already been over 60 just this year.

Gun nutters are simply uncaring assholes. Their toys are more important than strangers lives - even little kids lives.

And yet, who offers T's and P's of DOING SOMETHING and who ignores the inconvenient "mass" shootings that our stupid drug war spawns?

Seems to me that grabbers only care about politically convenient victims and when there's yet another drug gang drive by in a place like Chicago they just don't care at all.

You know these young  wanna be something mentally ill mass shooter are  using the wrong weapon....pump shotgun with #4 buckshot...which is why the "assault weapon ban"...is a slippery slope that should never be implemented ….gallon jugs at gas infront of the doors at the WallMart would have resulted in more deaths...banned milk jugs and register for gas purchase...silly liberals

On 8/8/2019 at 3:57 AM, Repastinate Tom said:

And yet, who offers T's and P's of DOING SOMETHING and who ignores the inconvenient "mass" shootings that our stupid drug war spawns?

Seems to me that grabbers only care about politically convenient victims and when there's yet another drug gang drive by in a place like Chicago they just don't care at all.

In the first line, you glibly blame mass shootings on  the drug war, without evidence. We call that scapegoating.

About 52% of the mass murders are domestic, and others seem to be rednecks gone wrong. I can cite that evidence.

In the second line, you coo Chicago, using drugs as a canard again.

• But the issue is often the gun being added to typical human stress---that is, to economic stress
  • Poor economic factors, and a playing field tipped by rednecks, only generate drug activity
  • Go ahead, be golden dogballs, step up to this problem, without gun rhetoric

You parade your issues all about, with joy, but you never manage to understand basic stuff.

38 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

About 52% of the mass murders are domestic, and others seem to be rednecks gone wrong. I can cite that evidence.

Heh! Please do, I need some entertainment.

In the time I've been following the Gungrabby Archives' posts, I think I've noted a couple of domestics at most. I guess you think Chicago is full of rednecks, since "mass" shootings seem to happen there a lot.

1 minute ago, Repastinate Tom said:

In the time I've been following the Gungrabby Archives' posts, I think I've noted a couple of domestics at most. I guess you think Chicago is full of rednecks, since "mass" shootings seem to happen there a lot.

Do you think you could bury this thread since the 'debate' over assault weapons is all but over? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:

The causes of violence are not inferred, specified, or identified by the GVA. They are unknown and remain unproven, until investigation.

You just make shit up every day.

These men and women have been found guilty of drug and gang actions, without evidence, by dogballs, who is a somewhat royal figure.

District

Congressional District: 1
State Senate District: 16
State House District: 32

At least four people were wounded Friday in a drive-by in Marquette Park on the Southwest Side.

Yes, of course it's Chicago again and very likely it's the stupid drug war again. But Undoing Something isn't a hot topic. Four is four so we must DO SOMETHING.

Mass Shooting In Virginia

District

Congressional District: 4
State Senate District: 10
State House District: 69

Richmond Police said four people arrived at a local hospital with gunshot wounds early Saturday morning.

Units responded to a call for a shooting around 1:45 a.m. in the 6300 block of Midlothian Turnpike.

Police tape blocked off the parking lots outside of the Richmond Inn and Suites and Novus Room Sports Bar for several hours.

Not much is known but four is four and we have to protect the children who are in bars at 1:45 am, so the obvious SOLution is the same as it ever was: DO SOMETHING.

1 hour ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Yes, of course it's Chicago again and very likely it's the stupid drug war again. But Undoing Something isn't a hot topic. Four is four so we must DO SOMETHING.

Mass Shooting In Virginia

Not much is known but four is four and we have to protect the children who are in bars at 1:45 am, so the obvious SOLution is the same as it ever was: DO SOMETHING.

ghoul time, serve us up the dogballs, on a fine sunday morning

Mass Shooting In California

District

Congressional District: 12
State Senate District: 11
State House District: 17

The attack took place around 11:30 p.m. in a parking lot outside a McDonald’s restaurant at Fillmore Street and Golden Gate Avenue.

The victims, all of them adults, were taken to a hospital. One victim had life-threatening injuries, while the three others are expected to survive, said police spokesman Officer Robert Rueca.

“We do not believe this was a random act,” Rueca said. It “appears that the victims were targeted.”

Gee, looks like more stupid drug war violence to me, in an area where one of the articles says that has happened a couple of times this year already. But four is four so the SOLution is the same as always: DO SOMETHING.

District

State House District: 10

The source link did not work but the URL ended this way:

multiple-wounded-garfield-park-drive-by-gun-violence

Gee, another stupid drug war drive-by in Chicago. Again. But Undoing Something isn't a hot topic. Six is more than four so we must DO SOMETHING.

7 minutes ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Mass Shooting In California

Gee, looks like more stupid drug war violence to me, in an area where one of the articles says that has happened a couple of times this year already. But four is four so the SOLution is the same as always: DO SOMETHING.

The source link did not work but the URL ended this way:

multiple-wounded-garfield-park-drive-by-gun-violence

Gee, another stupid drug war drive-by in Chicago. Again. But Undoing Something isn't a hot topic. Six is more than four so we must DO SOMETHING.

Are you trying to fix the drug war and inner city strife with guns? With more violence?

Go to the causes of the problems in these areas. If Marion Hammer and others fix the problems, no guns will be needed, and less gun mayhem will be found.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

Are you trying to fix the drug war and inner city strife with guns?

No, I think ending prohibition-related violence should be done the same way we did it before, by UNDOING SOMETHING.

On 8/12/2019 at 3:09 AM, jocal505 said:

Are you trying to fix the drug war and inner city strife with guns? With more violence?

, depend on strawman Joe ,,

Tom is, once again, pointing out the CAUSAL factors for violence.

?? Criminal (and/or) Crazy ?? 

, things that illuminate team Grabberz  Chickenshittery  in their refusal to discuss.

wow.

21 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

, depend on strawman Joe ,,

?? Criminal (and/or) Crazy ??  Pay attention. The AW thread was hijacked, became nonstop scapegoating; contains drug war allegations five times a week

, things that illuminate team Grabberz  Chickenshittery  in their refusal to discuss.

Hi MIke,

Yep, Jeff and Tom argue constantly to correct the human behavior behind the gun violence. Well, if you ponder this a bit, it won't be long before you face the sociological basics. Maslow demonstrated that human behavior will de-generate when circumstances have de-generated, and that human behavior will improve when circumstances improve. So yeah, I suggest that Mike in Seattle fix the problem behind the big shooting situations developing in Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, Talahasee, Ferguson, and elsewhere. Duh.

ABOUT THE GANGSTAS

This drug war damage, this violent behavior, displays economic ill, in certain places. You are trying to correct the problem, or to contain the problem, with guns, with their distribution, and with your "self defense" values.

You are not addressing the economic problem in play (oozing from CATO), or the vengeance-values problem in play (oozing from Boothy and Jeff). You are just slinging gunz, and the Larry Pratt lifestyle, basically. Especially you.

You fight so well that Shannon Watts is standing on your neck.

Mass Shooting In Mississippi

District

Congressional District: 2
State Senate District: 24
State House District: 32

Police Chief Ray Moore said the shooting reportedly happened on Young Street behind Hoover’s Grocery.

That's about all that is known, other than the types of guns that need to be banned in response, so WTF people are doing behind the grocery store is left to speculation. Something they don't want seen would be reasonable speculation. Something to do with the stupid drug war. Again. But four is four so we must DO SOMETHING.

21 minutes ago, Repastinate Tom said:

so WTF people are doing behind the grocery store is left to speculation. Something they don't want seen would be reasonable speculation. Something to do with the stupid drug war. Again.

Innuendo. Again.

McCarthy, racial policy.JPG

Mass Shooting In Washington State

District

Congressional District: 10
State Senate District: 27
State House District: 27

One of the men killed late Tuesday in a shooting on a Tacoma street left two dead and three injured has been identified.

Antoine Jamir Holmes, 26, of University Place, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Pierce County Medical Examiner’s Office has not identified the second man killed in the shooting, which took place about 11:40 p.m. near East 38th Street and East Roosevelt Avenue.

No one has been arrested.

Detectives are investigating the shooting and have not released details about what led up to the incident.

Not much is known but we do know the legislative district info and we know that five is more than four so the political SOLution is the same as always. DO SOMETHING.

Mass Shooting In Pennsylvania

District

Congressional District: 3
State Senate District: 3
State House District: 198

Gunfire initially erupted around 4:30 p.m. after narcotics officers served a warrant to a house near the corner of North 15th and West Butler streets, according to officials.

As officers rushed upstairs, a gunman waiting downstairs with an AK-47 fired several rounds through the ceiling. Police returned fire while several officers escaped through windows and doors.

Neighbors said they watched in terror as the violent scene unfolded on their block. 

Gee, the stupid drug war again. The suspect's criminal record means that his possession of a gun was a failure of gun control, another indicator that people who make a living dealing in illegal things are somehow able to get their hands on illegal things. Yugely surprising that gun control works worst on the people who matter most. But no matter. Six is more than four so TnP of DOING SOMETHING.

Mass Shooting In Pennsylvania

District

Congressional District: 3
State Senate District: 4
State House District: 201

one victim is listed in critical condition, four others suffered non-life threatening injuries.

Detectives say there were multiple shooters and believe this was targeted

"They may have been running after that because it appears there's a stretch for almost a block suggesting at least to us preliminary that someone was chasing him," said Police Commissioner Richard Ross.

No arrests have been made.

Anyone with any information is asked to call police at 215-686-TIPS.

Gee, looks like the stupid drug war yet again. Anyone who wants to become a target is asked to call police at 215-686-TIPS. That will work about as well as the rest of the stupid drug war, and about as well as gun control laws work at disarming these violent drug gangs.

Still, five is more than four and the legislative district info is conveniently provided, so we must mindlessly DO SOMETHING.

Mass Shooting In Alabama

District

State Senate District: 26
State House District: 77

Montgomery Police Sgt. Jarrett Williams says five people were shot in the area of the 800 block of N. University Boulevard. One died at the scene, another at a local hospital, while two others remain with life-threatening injuries and one with non life-threatening injuries.

Alabama State President Quinton Ross Jr., in a statement shared with ASU faculty and staff, says the shooting is unrelated to the university but that it happened at a business near campus.

The words "university" and "campus" appear in the description, so this might be a school shooting, the very most convenient kind for gungrabby purposes.

In any case, it's obvious that five is more than four and the legislative district info is conveniently provided, so we must mindlessly DO SOMETHING.

Mass Shooting In Texas

District

Congressional District: 29
State Senate District: 6
State House District: 143

Seven people were shot after a fight broke out at a house party in east Houston, according to the Houston Police Department. 

Around 1:45 a.m. Saturday, a large group of people were at an "instant house party" that started via Snapchat. 

All seven victims suffered non life-threatening injuries and all are expected to be OK.

Like most recent mass shootings, no one was killed, but seven is way more than four so TnP of DOING SOMETHING.

Interesting. The thread, and the very important topic it covers, has been hijacked. It has been dominated.

While in the real world (meaning outside of the dogballs bubble),  the polls say 90% of the populace wants background checks, and 76% want red flag laws, and that gun violence prevention is increasingly considered a top issue for voters.

GVP is a top issue on the telly now, every day.

IMO, after the recent DOUBLE mass shootings (in which AW's were predictably used in each setting), the wheels are finally coming off of Larry Pratt and his SAF choo choo. I feel a sense of personal celebration, and even relief, in this cycle.

The successful direction of the SAF ideas concerned me, deeply. IMO the direction is changing, dramatically.

3  separate mass shootings were barely avoided this week  if each case the shooters were loaded for bear with AW’s and some variation of extended capacity mags, titanium body armor, ballistic helmets, thousands of rounds of ammo. The stated goal was to kill 100 people

One thing not found was bump stocks, presumably because they were BANNED.  

My suggestion is we ban all of the above and throw people found with them in prison for not less than 10 years. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/18/us/three-potential-attacks-foiled/index.html

Mass Shooting In Missouri

District

Congressional District: 5
State Senate District: 7
State House District: 24

At about 3:20 a.m. on Sunday morning, police were dispatched to the Sheraton Hotel on the Plaza, 770 W. 47th St., on a shooting call on a floor of the hotel in a room.

When they arrived, they found four teens shot inside a hotel room. Two of the teens are in life-threatening condition, the other two have non-life threatening injuries.

According to police, there was a gathering of teens in the room and at some point, an argument broke out that led to gunfire, at least one suspect firing multiple rounds.

Four is four so we must DO SOMETHING.

20 hours ago, jocal505 said:

Interesting. The thread, and the very important topic it covers, has been hijacked. It has been dominated.

Can I help it if I'm the only one who actually takes a look at all these mass shootings that are used to justify banning squirrel shooters, plinking pistols, and other assault weapons?

15 hours ago, Fakenews said:

My suggestion is we ban all of the above and throw people found with them in prison for not less than 10 years. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/18/us/three-potential-attacks-foiled/index.html

We'have some men who need to re-program their male-ness. Seriously. Incarceration is not the goal.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:51 AM, jocal505 said:

Yes please....

6 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Can I help it if I'm the only one who actually takes a look at all these mass shootings that are used to justify banning squirrel shooters, plinking pistols, and other assault weapons?

Is there a legal gun of any caliber legally available currently that you would support further restricting or banning? 

2 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

pYes please....

At your request, I cited the first part, that most mass shootings are domestic. You think you are a smart one, so I just assume you remember all that.

Rednecks gone wrong? I can find such evidence. The rednecks are inspired these days. They love race-baiting from the prez, it jacks them up. I read that the armed redneck incidents are increasing... in these days of the Trumpster voters.

But here's the anecdotal, @Shootist Jeff:

• any shooter of tirechuckers,
  • Pooplius (if you do fisticuffs twice with him),
  • Boothy for sure,
  • Dylan Roof,
  • the Waco shooter,
  • Timothy McVeigh,
  • Randy Weaver
  • and George Zimmerman.
  • Steamer Man if provoked by the carrying of a Nazi flag in his hood.

I admit to stereotyping, profiling, and innuendo as well...but what do I win?

6 hours ago, jocal505 said:

I cited the first part, that most mass shootings are domestic.

You asserting something isn't a cite, Joe.

34 minutes ago, bpm57 said:

You asserting something isn't a cite, Joe.

I am avoiding repeating myself upon command. Yep, most mass shootings are domestic. (Not the drug war.) You are keen indeed...and this is my third posting of this info.

A majority of mass shootings in the United States in recent years have been related to domestic and family violence, a recent analysis of US gun deaths has found.

The study conducted by Everytown for Gun Safety, a gun-control advocacy group, analyzed FBI data and media reports to identify a total of 110 mass shootings that occurred in the US between January 2009 and July 2014.

The group found 57 percent of mass murders in which at least four people were killed with a gun were related to domestic or family violence.

http://www.presstv.com/detail/2014/07/18/371848/many-us-mass-shootings-family-related/>

16 hours ago, Sean said:
22 hours ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Is there a legal gun of any caliber legally available currently that you would support further restricting or banning? 

Sure, if a compelling argument for doing so were made.

"These are deadly military weapons" isn't a compelling argument when it comes to squirrel shooters or plinking handguns, at least to me.

Is there a legal gun of any caliber legally available currently that you would oppose further restricting or banning? 

8 hours ago, jocal505 said:

Yep, most mass shootings are domestic. (Not the drug war.)

Bloomberg $peak$ about murders in the link you provided but most mass shootings result in no deaths at all, as noted over and over in this thread.

21 minutes ago, Repastinate Tom said:

Bloomberg $peak$ about murders in the link you provided but most mass shootings result in no deaths at all, as noted over and over in this thread.

No deaths for you to celebrate. Just a bunch of shot up human survivors who won't be voting Libertarian.

"These are deadly military weapons" isn't a compelling argument when it comes to squirrel shooters or plinking handguns, at least to me.

Is there a legal gun of any caliber legally available currently that you would oppose further restricting or banning? 

I’ll take that as a “no”. Thanks for playing. 

17 hours ago, Sean said:

That was fun, but the Big Boss has already gone CVS on the topic, despite his comments on background checks right after the latest series of rights-removal in El Paso and Dayton. Capitulating Very Strongly. 

37 minutes ago, Sean said:

School Shooting In Georgia

District

Congressional District: 5
State Senate District: 36
State House District: 56

According to Atlanta Police, it happened around 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday near the intersection of James P. Brawley Drive SW and Beckwith Street SW. That's near the heart of the Atlanta University Center in Atlanta's west side.

Police said they initially found three female students with gunshot wounds near the Atlanta University Center library. Those students were immeditely taken to Grady Hospital. That's when a fourth student showed up to the hospital as well to be treated for a gun shot wound.

According to the school's calendar, classes are set to start Wednesday, Aug. 21.

Police told 11Alive that two victims are Clark Atlanta students (ages 18 and 19) and two are from Spelman (ages 17 and 18). Investigators believe two separate groups were targeting each other and the four female victims were simply caught in the crossfire.

Groups. Gangs. Whatever.

A block party near a closed university at night. But it's a school and four is four, so more reason than ever to DO SOMETHING.

On 8/20/2019 at 2:36 AM, Repastinate Tom said:
On 8/19/2019 at 9:52 AM, Sean said:

The "compelling arguments" are hidden behind the blockage of the relevant research on gun violence. dogballs stuff. 

Which = Libertarians implemented ignorance. 

On 8/13/2019 at 4:59 AM, Mike in Seattle said:

?? Criminal (and/or) Crazy ?? 

Cut the bullshit, Mikey. For sincere men, the search for "causal factors" leads to "Priorities for Research," which is the 2013 blueprint for the causal study of gun violence.

The IOM put it together for the CDC. It is 120 pages long, and its existence is direct result of Sandy Hook.

The aftermath of Sandy Hook reflected a national Pearl Harbor moment.The report was constructed by the best, in this moment of exceptional awareness. 

@Shootist Jeff The CDC did the report without backlash from the NRA because we were surfing on dead children at the time.

It turns out that Lapierre had to get away in the aftermath, the Sandy Hook Community sits near the NRA HQ, I understand. NRA staff members had to have been affected directly and indiurectly.  Funeral time times 26.

Wayne and his wifee went off to a Caribbean cabana on pink sandy beaches...The bill for his extended stay there is now an issue in lawsuits.

But I digress. If you want causal,  I can present full causal. Each link works.

3 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

Cut the bullshit, Mikey. For sincere men, the search for "causal factors" leads to "Priorities for Research," which is the 2013 blueprint for the causal study of gun violence.

The IOM put it together for the CDC. It is 120 pages long, and its existence is direct result of Sandy Hook.

The aftermath of Sandy Hook reflected a national Pearl Harbor moment.The report was constructed by the best, in this moment of exceptional awareness. 

@Shootist Jeff The CDC did the report without backlash from the NRA because we were surfing on dead children at the time.

It turns out that Lapierre had to get away in the aftermath, the Sandy Hook Community sits near the NRA HQ IIRC. Wayne and his wifee went off to a Caribbean cabana on pink sandy beaches...The bill for his extended stay there is now an issue in lawsuits.

But I digress. If you want causal,  I can present full causal: 

Geography is another of your awesome strengths, eh Joe?   Sandy Hook is in SW CT, the NRA HQ is in Fairfax, VA.   More of your vetted research, or just another indication of your propensity to say anything that you think is sticking it to the people who realize that you're a disingenuous twit? 

8 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Geography is another of your awesome strengths, eh Joe?   Sandy Hook is in SW CT, the NRA HQ is in Fairfax, VA.   More of your vetted research, or just another indication of your propensity to say anything that you think is sticking it to the people who realize that you're a disingenuous twit? 

Hi there, Guy. I stand corrected, and I thank you for your effort and attention. However, I have heard of a key gun outfit near Sandy Hook.

Set that aside, and the grand smears and cheap shots aside too.  THINK EFFICACIOUSLY, my fine man, seriously. You and I have mixed it up about research, the type of research you insist upon. Do you now support federal research on gun violence?

Do you proffer nothing in 2019, as usual?

8 minutes ago, jocal505 said:

Hi there, Guy. I stand corrected, and I thank you for your effort and attention. However, I have heard of a key gun outfit near Sandy Hook.

Set that aside, and the grand smears and cheap shots aside too.  THINK EFFICACIOUSLY, my fine man, seriously. You and I have mixed it up about research, the type of research you insist upon. Do you now support federal research on gun violence?

Do you proffer nothing in 2019, as usual?

I've remained consistent in my position - I completely support objective research into the causes of violence. I don't support federal research on "Gun Violence" - because I don't believe that the implement should be the focus of research into causal factors of violence.  

31 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

hI've remained consistent in my position - I completely support objective research into the causes of violence. I don't support federal research on "Gun Violence" - because I don't believe that the implement should be the focus of research into causal factors of violence.  

You are not only lost, but ignorant. With tricky thinking.

Sir, you just called me disingenuous just a few posts ago. You have a nail-in-the-forehead issue. (thx to Ismael for a gem)

15 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

:lol: The "I'm scared of what might be found" argument against science.

Yes. Unchanged over the course of five significant years. I expect better of some guys.

On 8/19/2019 at 12:52 PM, Sean said:

Yes!  Ruger 10/22s. They are the Bain of gun violence. 

And ruger Mini-14s. Shit wannabe assault rifles that suck at everything. 

And Ruger precision rifles. They are anything but....

and all Ruger pistols. They suck and kill far too many people. Well except for the Ruger SR-22 threaded barrel version. I could live with that one. :ph34r:

On 8/19/2019 at 2:14 PM, jocal505 said:

At your request, I cited the first part, that most mass shootings are domestic. You think you are a smart one, so I just assume you remember all that.

Rednecks gone wrong? I can find such evidence. The rednecks are inspired these days. They love race-baiting from the prez, it jacks them up. I read that the armed redneck incidents are increasing... in these days of the Trumpster voters.

But here's the anecdotal, @Shootist Jeff:

• any shooter of tirechuckers,
  • Pooplius (if you do fisticuffs twice with him),
  • Boothy for sure,
  • Dylan Roof,
  • the Waco shooter,
  • Timothy McVeigh,
  • Randy Weaver
  • and George Zimmerman.
  • Steamer Man if provoked by the carrying of a Nazi flag in his hood.

I admit to stereotyping, profiling, and innuendo as well...but what do I win?

I’m not seeing any cites here. You said you could provide cites, not memories. I don’t follow everything you post, so post your cites as you said you could/would. 

5 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Yes!  Ruger 10/22s. They are the Bain of gun violence. 

And ruger Mini-14s. Shit wannabe assault rifles that suck at everything. 

And Ruger precision rifles. They are anything but....

and all Ruger pistols. They suck and kill far too many people. Well except for the Ruger SR-22 threaded barrel version. I could live with that one. :ph34r:

Progress!  From there it’s a short hop to banning all AR 15 variants.

Next up Glocks.

3 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

:ph34r:

A bit Ruger-specific, no?

On 8/21/2019 at 2:48 PM, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

:lol: The "I'm scared of what might be found" argument against science.

Fuck awf, cunt  AGITC is spot on. Guns are not causal to violence. Period. Dot. 

4 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I’m not seeing any cites here. You said you could provide cites, not memories. I don’t follow everything you post, so post your cites as you said you could/would. 

Sometimes I wonder what you spend your time reading. At other times you seem to be a real dumbass, too. Are you thick? Fat? Lazy? WHast? Do you lack skils or resources or something? Need attention?

REDNECKS GONE WRONG, WITH THEIR REDNECK GUNZ

To relieve your four days of angst and testiness over this, what I did was I googled "right wing attacks increasing?" This is what came up Jeffie. You are so clever, and so bright, you can take it from here.

In the United States, right-wing violence is on the rise ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/in-the-united-states-right-wing-violence-is-on...

Data shows more US terror attacks by right-wing and ...

8 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Guns are not causal to violence. Period. Dot. 

giphy.gif

On 8/21/2019 at 2:33 PM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I've remained consistent in my position - I completely support objective research into the causes of violence. I don't support federal research on "Gun Violence" - because I don't believe that the implement should be the focus of research into causal factors of violence.  

And in the absence of any data, you can remain firm in that preconceived notion.

Seems kinda contrary to common sense to me. Wouldn't you agree that the absence of a firearm greatly reduces the odds of a fatality by firearm?

- DSK

6 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

And in the absence of any data, you can remain firm in that preconceived notion.

Seems kinda contrary to common sense to me. Wouldn't you agree that the absence of a firearm greatly reduces the odds of a fatality by firearm?

- DSK

The tangential corollary you proffer is really intended to suggest that the opposite, "the presence of a firearm greatly increases the odds of a fatality by firearm" - and the data suggests that this isn't the case at all.   How many firearms are known to be in circulation in this country?  How many uses of those result in a fatality?  

Put another way - if we didn't have cars, nobody would have automobile accidents.  So - if we *really* want to reduce traffic fatalities, we ought to get rid of cars.  reductio ad absurdum.  

33 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

The tangential corollary you proffer is really intended to suggest that the opposite, "the presence of a firearm greatly increases the odds of a fatality by firearm" - and the data suggests that this isn't the case at all.   How many firearms are known to be in circulation in this country?  How many uses of those result in a fatality?  

Put another way - if we didn't have cars, nobody would have automobile accidents.  So - if we *really* want to reduce traffic fatalities, we ought to get rid of cars.  reductio ad absurdum.  

So again, you are scared of science and what might be found.

7 hours ago, jocal505 said:

Sometimes I wonder what you spend your time reading. At other times you seem to be a real dumbass, too. Are you thick? Fat? Lazy? WHast? Do you lack skils or resources or something? Need attention?

REDNECKS GONE WRONG, WITH THEIR REDNECK GUNZ

To relieve your four days of angst and testiness over this, what I did was I googled "right wing attacks increasing?" This is what came up Jeffie. You are so clever, and so bright, you can take it from here.

In the United States, right-wing violence is on the rise ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/in-the-united-states-right-wing-violence-is-on...

Data shows more US terror attacks by right-wing and ...

Except right wing attacks is not the subject here.  You said you could provide cites of domestic violence being the majority of mass shootings.  Still waiting.....

On 8/9/2019 at 8:51 AM, jocal505 said:

Just in case you forgot what you said.  Still waiting for the evadents.  

1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Except that it's not. You're proving my point, thanks.

What country has the most firearms per capita?

What country has the most firearm deaths, which country is having a horrific recurrence of mass shootings?

It's true that triggers don't pull themselves but in the absence of a firearm, you don't have people getting shot & killed. Simple.

Now the question is, how do you prevent people who should not have a gun from getting one? We have a lot of current laws and regulations about that very thing, they don't appear to be working as intended.

- DSK

10 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Except that it's not. You're proving my point, thanks.

What country has the most firearms per capita?

What country has the most firearm deaths, which country is having a horrific recurrence of mass shootings?

It's true that triggers don't pull themselves but in the absence of a firearm, you don't have people getting shot & killed. Simple.

Now the question is, how do you prevent people who should not have a gun from getting one? We have a lot of current laws and regulations about that very thing, they don't appear to be working as intended.

- DSK

The bolded part really is the question, isn't it?   In all sincerity, aside from an outright ban on the existence of firearms, and a house-to-house search to confiscate every one in existence, I don't think that we can ever get to zero.   I think that we can do a lot better job at enforcing existing laws, and that the unlimited background checks and various red-flag proposals are the most effective changes that we could implement today.   

So - in your opinion, what are the biggest impediments to effective enforcement of existing laws? 

6 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

The bolded part really is the question, isn't it?   In all sincerity, aside from an outright ban on the existence of firearms, and a house-to-house search to confiscate every one in existence, I don't think that we can ever get to zero.   I think that we can do a lot better job at enforcing existing laws, and that the unlimited background checks and various red-flag proposals are the most effective changes that we could implement today.   

So - in your opinion, what are the biggest impediments to effective enforcement of existing laws? 

The gun lobby

- DSK

8 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

The gun lobby stops the cops from enforcing existing laws?  Do tell.  

Let's see.... who runs the agency(ies) enforcing these laws? Local police departments, who are relatively isolated from the tentacles wrapped around 2 3/4 of the three gov't branches? Or is it Federal agencies who can be relied on to 1- suck up to Congress (and therefor lobbyists) for budget and 2- have to listen when a Congresscritter calls the office and says "blah blah do this or that."

So, yeah...... they do.

Kind of like your assertion that the number of guns has nothing to do with the prevalence of gun violence, this falls apart at the first rational factual look. What else ya got? How long before you accuse me of misquoting you?

- DSK

8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Kind of like your assertion that the number of guns has nothing to do with the prevalence of gun violence, this falls apart at the first rational factual look. What else ya got? How long before you accuse me of misquoting you?

You just did.  Right there ^^

4 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Let's see.... who runs the agency(ies) enforcing these laws? Local police departments, who are relatively isolated from the tentacles wrapped around 2 3/4 of the three gov't branches? Or is it Federal agencies who can be relied on to 1- suck up to Congress (and therefor lobbyists) for budget and 2- have to listen when a Congresscritter calls the office and says "blah blah do this or that."

So, yeah...... they do. - Perhaps we need to make sure we're both talking about the same thing.  I'm suggesting that current enforcement of existing statute, most of which occurs at the local level, isn't as effective as it can and should be.   You said that you think the "Gun Lobby" is the biggest impediment to enforcement of existing laws.  I don't see the connection - and I don't think that you've explained it in this comment. 

My assertion was that your suggestion that the number of guns in circulation wasn't the causal factor that you asserted, as evidenced by the minute percentage of those that are ever used inappropriately. It's right above if you need to refresh your memory.  How long before you misquote me, or conflate my comments is up to you - I'm certainly not making anything up, I actually prefer a considerate conversation to the shit-flinging that often happens here. 

- DSK

1 minute ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:
15 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

So, yeah...... they do. -  ....     ...     ......

- Perhaps we need to make sure we're both talking about the same thing.  I'm suggesting that current enforcement of existing statute, most of which occurs at the local level, isn't as effective as it can and should be.   You said that you think the "Gun Lobby" is the biggest impediment to enforcement of existing laws.  I don't see the connection - and I don't think that you've explained it in this comment. 

OK, the only part of gun enforcement that I see placed on local police is: here in NC, the county sheriffs issue pistol permits before you can can buy one. Maybe they do a lot more that I don't know about?

Who carries out the background checks? What part does BATF play? I'm sure it has changed over the past fifteen years, when I not only dropped out of shooting sports but became highly .... shall we say, disenchanted..... with the mind set of gun enthusiasts in this country. So my knowledge of the system is limited and dated, but it still all operates under the same umbrella.

- DSK

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

OK, the only part of gun enforcement that I see placed on local police is: here in NC, the county sheriffs issue pistol permits before you can can buy one. Maybe they do a lot more that I don't know about?

Who carries out the background checks? What part does BATF play? I'm sure it has changed over the past fifteen years, when I not only dropped out of shooting sports but became highly .... shall we say, disenchanted..... with the mind set of gun enthusiasts in this country. So my knowledge of the system is limited and dated, but it still all operates under the same umbrella.

- DSK

Glad I asked the question, because I think we were talking about different things - I'm talking about enforcement of existing criminal statute, where locally known bad actors should be clipped.   You're talking about the framework around the permission to acquire guns. In that context - I understand your comment.  
To your question RE the BATF -