Recommended Posts

ok, had oatmeal pancakes last week,  it was buckwheat pancakes last sunday..   had some buttermilk ones that were good..   what'ya got..   give us your melt in your mouth not made of lead pancake recipes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds of one of the only jokes I can remember......

Guy goes into the doctor complaining of feeling insanely poor... hard to move, can't talk very well,  headaches, etc.... the doctors says he has HAGS, which is Herpes, Aids, Gonorrhea and Syphilis.     He must be admitted into the hospital ASAP and put on a strict diet of pancakes.

Pancakes ?   How do panckakes cure HAGS ?

They don't..... but they are the only thing we can fit under the door.

badda-boom !  (I'll get my coat....)

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 1/4 cup AP flour

1 tsp white sugar

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

2 tbsp melted butter

1 egg

enough buttermilk to pouring consistency

Mix it all together and go for it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

2 cups buttermilk

¼ cup sour cream

2 large eggs

3 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

½ teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pancakes are fine, but French Toast is better...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

French Toastie and Billy Joel tunes always go together......

One pancake tip I recall from Good Eats is not to mix the batter too much, otherwise gluten forms which prevents maximum rising.   About 10 strokes is all it takes and a few clumps is ok.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Combine in blender-

1 ripe banana

1/2 cup quick oatmeal

2 eggs 

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Quick! No gluten or dairy if need be. I combine 1/3 cup frozen blueberries with 1 teaspoon maple syrup and microwave until heated for the topping.

Double or triple recipe. These freeze and reheat well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a pain in the ass, but separate your eggs. Mix the yolks in with the other ingredients, and whip the whites until you get stiff peaks.

 

Then fold the egg whites into the rest of the mix. This will ensure that your pancakes stay light and fluffy, whether they're buttermilk, blueberry or whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of the batter recipe, I cook the pancake on one side while dropping blueberries and/or sliced bananas onto the wet side. Flip it and the batter holds everything in place. Top with real maple syrup with beef sausages on the side.

OK, now I want some.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bisquik with a little more milk added than they suggest (I actually use half-n-half) and a pinch of sugar, and a double shake of vanilla extract. Get yer griddle hot as hell on a saturday night in July, and drop a pat of butter on it before you pour your batter on.... Wait until the edges turn up. flip that bastad over, and a minute later you got yerself one of about a dozen. Keep em warm in an oven set at 200f with the door open. Yer Maple syrup should be room temp. not warmed on the stove. If you don't have real Maple syrup, cane syrup will do, but it ain't the same.....

For a little bit my mother tried to convince us that strawberry jam and powdered sugar was better..... That didn't turn out so well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is how we do it now that we've sailed out of range of Bisquick. It's better for you anyway.

Pancakes

1 1/2 Cup Flour
1 1/4 Cup Milk
1 Tablespoon Sugar
3 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
Dash Vanilla
1 Egg
3 Tablesppons butter, Melted.


Mix it all together, cook it like a pancake. Nothing fancy about separating eggs, buttermilk or whipping stuff up. Just KISS with staples we always have on the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mrleft8 said:

 If you don't have real Maple syrup, cane syrup will do, but it ain't the same.....

A verrey closse secant......         :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I retired six years ago, I ballooned a bit adding about 50 lbs. Working hard to burn the lbs off, I stopped eating pancakes for about a week and noticed a daily dip as I stepped on the scale. When I started eating pancakes again, I noticed I picked up about 1/2 to 3/4 a lb per day. From that point on I stopped eating pancakes, only eating pancakes one morning ever week or two, in my quest to get under 200lbs.

Once I made it to 197, it was a struggle to loose more weight in my quest for 187 lbs, so I eliminated beer, not drinking beer for three years. I also quite smoking pot for a year, so I wouldn't be tempting by the munchies. Missing my beer, in my fourth year, I allowed myself 12 beers, and allowed myself an occasional puff of pot, over the course of a year. The following year I allowed 18 beers, and started having a couple puffs of pot each day, but picked up a couple lbs over the year. The following year had 12 beers over the course of a year, and still indulged in a daily puff or three of pot, but didn't allow myself to indulge in munchies, and maintained 187.

This year so far,  I've had three beers and still been maintaining a satisfactory 187 lbs. However - and fear not sailors, I still allow myself a shot of rum and a puff or three of pot in the evening and make pancakes once every week or two, and still maintain 187 lbs +/- a few lbs,  but fast and not eat for a day or almost three, if I pick up more then five lbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They come with a sausage patty and some yellowish egg thingy in the McGriddle special...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wild Grape Pancakes

1. Collect some wild grapes. You can also use store bought grapes.

2. Wash grapes thoroughly

3. In a bowl, crush the grapes, then strain the juice into a bowl or jar.

4. Use this grape juice as the fluid in the pancake mix.

Note: Best served with Portuguese sausage.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, cyclone said:

Combine in blender-

1 ripe banana

1/2 cup quick oatmeal

2 eggs 

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Quick! No gluten or dairy if need be. I combine 1/3 cup frozen blueberries with 1 teaspoon maple syrup and microwave until heated for the topping.

Double or triple recipe. These freeze and reheat well.

Spot the vegan... :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Spot the vegan... :P

Not really. Just happen to be very good pancakes for a simple recipe. I can't find Hansmann's mix any more and pancakes are quicker than the standby weekend popovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, boomer said:

When I retired six years ago, I ballooned a bit adding about 50 lbs. Working hard to burn the lbs off, I stopped eating pancakes for about a week and noticed a daily dip as I stepped on the scale. When I started eating pancakes again, I noticed I picked up about 1/2 to 3/4 a lb per day. From that point on I stopped eating pancakes, only eating pancakes one morning ever week or two, in my quest to get under 200lbs.

Once I made it to 197, it was a struggle to loose more weight in my quest for 187 lbs, so I eliminated beer, not drinking beer for three years. I also quite smoking pot for a year, so I wouldn't be tempting by the munchies. Missing my beer, in my fourth year, I allowed myself 12 beers, and allowed myself an occasional puff of pot, over the course of a year. The following year I allowed 18 beers, and started having a couple puffs of pot each day, but picked up a couple lbs over the year. The following year had 12 beers over the course of a year, and still indulged in a daily puff or three of pot, but didn't allow myself to indulge in munchies, and maintained 187.

This year so far,  I've had three beers and still been maintaining a satisfactory 187 lbs. However - and fear not sailors, I still allow myself a shot of rum and a puff or three of pot in the evening and make pancakes once every week or two, and still maintain 187 lbs +/- a few lbs,  but fast and not eat for a day or almost three, if I pick up more then five lbs.

you know it'd be easier to just cut off a leg..

 

get a bicycle , ride it everywhere..   

 

best way to maintain is to take walks..

30 min walk in the morning before you go to work

1 hour walk in the afternoon..  

both of these rain or shine..  and if you have a dog, they will motivate you at the appropriate times..

 

we added a second story br when we did a remodel, in the last 4 years going up and down those fucking stairs, i could be a bun model..

best thing about those stairs, I rescued a bannister out of a '40's  house in the extra-white part of town,   solid oak.. refinished nicely...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

get a bicycle , ride it everywhere..   

 

best way to maintain is to take walks..

30 min walk in the morning before you go to work

1 hour walk in the afternoon..  

both of these rain or shine..  and if you have a dog, they will motivate you at the appropriate times..

 

we added a second story br when we did a remodel, in the last 4 years going up and down those fucking stairs, i could be a bun model..

best thing about those stairs, I rescued a bannister out of a '40's  house in the extra-white part of town,   solid oak.. refinished nicely...

Did all those and more from the time I retired. Went from driving 35-60K a year commuting to driving about 5K a year, but biking about 4800 miles a year riding to town, marina and mountain biking in the woods. Also did a 30-60 minute walk in the morning and a 30 minute walk in the evening. Also added upper and lower body workouts, intense cardio workouts, and replaced the morning walk with a run and jumping rope daily. Also walked 18 holes of golf three times a week, and walked another 18 holes of frisbee golf 2-3 times a week. Also kayak 2-3 times a week, and windsurf 1-3 times a week. Added a third boat to our family fleet, so maintaining one more a week. Also,  the to do list and the honey do list increased exponentially yearly after retirement. Hiking and doing a climb a week also was an exponential increase, compared to before retirement. Our house is three stories with a tower on top of that, so get plenty of stair climbing daily. Also went from having sex from 2-3 times a week before retirement, to having sex 3-5 times a week after retirement. Physically all that may not be as demanding as piledriving and heavy construction 10-12 hours a day, but I'm on my feet just as long, if not longer on some days. The plan in retirement is to maintain 187lbs or less, though I can live with occasionally going up to 197lbs, but no more of that way over 200lb body, plus a spare tire. My dog goes with me everywhere except on when racing, rides, runs (the little guy picks fights with bigger dogs - much bigger - so walks and runs other then on our acreage is out) and to the golf course.

 

004d.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know the recipe, but there is this place in Northville, MI called Rebeccas that makes the best sweet potato pancakes.  I have them add bananas and candies walnuts.  A bit of butter.  No syrup needed.

MS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

It's a pain in the ass, but separate your eggs. Mix the yolks in with the other ingredients, and whip the whites until you get stiff peaks.

 

Then fold the egg whites into the rest of the mix. This will ensure that your pancakes stay light and fluffy, whether they're buttermilk, blueberry or whatever.

Yup.  Worth the extra effort.  Great technique for waffles also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and when you flip your pancakes over to cook the second side NEVER pat them down with the spatula as that breaks the air bubbles inside and you'll end up with pan-flats rather than pancakes.

 

It's also why that tricksy, impressing the woman you spent all night romancing "watch me flip the pancakes over" shit is a bad idea. Sure, it's impressive looking but being known as the guy who served up beautiful fluffy blueberry pancakes after a night of amazing cunnilingus is what'll keep her coming back. And bringing a friend.

 

Shit, did I take this off topic again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2018 at 3:24 PM, cyclone said:

Combine in blender-

1 ripe banana

1/2 cup quick oatmeal

2 eggs 

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Quick! No gluten or dairy if need be. I combine 1/3 cup frozen blueberries with 1 teaspoon maple syrup and microwave until heated for the topping.

Double or triple recipe. These freeze and reheat well.

I'm going to try this ... off to get the stuff shortly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 C Bob's Red Mill Buckwheat (it is milled extremely fine)

1C whole milk (maybe even a little cream added) + a 1/4 tsp of vinegar, lemon juice or some other acid (no, LSD doesn't really work here)

2 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

2 tsp brown sugar

1 egg

1-2 T melted butter

Add milk/buckwheat to thin or thicken to your taste

 

As for grilling, I like mine dark, no matter what the batter is.  The LFW, not so much.  So, mine go on the grill first to cool in down some, then I grill hers, then we both eat.  Best with bacon or sausages, a fried sunny side up egg, and really good coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, QBF said:

Wild Grape Pancakes

1. Collect some wild grapes. You can also use store bought grapes.

2. Wash grapes thoroughly

3. In a bowl, crush the grapes, then strain the juice into a bowl or jar.

4. Use this grape juice as the fluid in the pancake mix.

Note: Best served with Portuguese sausage.

 

can I use wine? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

Spot the vegan... :P

Nope, he would have started with; Since I have been vegan for X number of years, I have found these to be far far superior to any pancake I ever ate before. Vegan pancakes are the best. I love to eat 3 of these before I go to my crossfit box...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jason AUS said:

Oh, and when you flip your pancakes over to cook the second side NEVER pat them down with the spatula as that breaks the air bubbles inside and you'll end up with pan-flats rather than pancakes.

 

It's also why that tricksy, impressing the woman you spent all night romancing "watch me flip the pancakes over" shit is a bad idea. Sure, it's impressive looking but being known as the guy who served up beautiful fluffy blueberry pancakes after a night of amazing cunnilingus is what'll keep her coming back. And bringing a friend.

 

Shit, did I take this off topic again?

if that's a true story, she would be making you pancakes in the morning and will come back regardless. If you are counting on the pancakes to seal the deal the cunnilingus isn't as good as you think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, chinabald said:

can I use wine? 

Yes, but the bad news the pancakes won’t taste good...the good news is after a few pancakes you won’t care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chinabald said:

Nope, he would have started with; Since I have been vegan for X number of years, I have found these to be far far superior to any pancake I ever ate before. Vegan pancakes are the best. I love to eat 3 of these before I go to my crossfit box...

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, silent bob said:

Blue Waffles?

If you like eating them, go for it. You might want to wear goggles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this