Alan H

Piper OD .. dayboat

There's a good old boat,  Piper 24 One Design for sale up in the hills a few hours from where I live, for a pittance.

What's a Piper one-design?  Our mates in Scotland know, but for you guys who are clueless, read what Bob Perry had to say when Cornish Crabber cranked out a few a while ago.

http://sailingmagazine.net/article-300-piper-24.html

The Piper OD races on the firth of the Clyde, with a bunch of the fleet racing out of the Holy Loch Sailing Club. The Holy Loch is the site of the former USN nuclear submarine base for the North Atlantic.  The Brits have their sub base, the next loch over on the Gare Loch..  57 Piper One Designs were made, then the molds sat. Apparently there's a mold in Bermuda, somewhere, taken off of hull #24, which is also in Bermuda. i THINK.....can't swear to this but I THINK that David Boyd basically trimmed up some lines from the *pant, drool* Gareloch Goddesses and create the  Piper.  Subsequently, around 2014, the Rustler 24 was introduced, which basically is  Piper OD with an aluminum two-spreader rig, updated, but super simple deck layout, sloped coaming sides and some other nice little details.

Here's a Piper OD -

https://www.boatshop24.co.uk/img/adphotos/541/85541_piper-one-design-_photo_0_1443153735_img.jpg

what the water sees -

http://images.networkyachtbrokers.com/details/04310/04310_image_extra_2.jpg

and here's a Rustler 24, the "sexified" version of the Piper OD -

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resize/1/17/81/4911781_20150114103547790_1_XLARGE.jpg?f=/1/17/81/4911781_20150114103547790_1_XLARGE.jpg&w=1024&h=683&t=1421260653000

VERY very tempted here.  I already have a boat but when I get back from the "Big Cruise"  I wanna be a Gentleman Daysailer.

• Like 1

This is a Gareloch Goddess...Gareloch One Design.

19906567908_4395e5db42_b.jpg

And here is the Gareloch one Design website. - http://garelochod.org/

The Goddesses and the Piper are basically the same length overall.

Here's a Piper scootin' along.  ceilidh%2027%20fcc13%20130810%209576yi.J

and another.

Cove_2010_part_1_028.sized.jpg

With a smallish headsail on a roller furler, methinks this is how gentlemen go sailing for the day.

• Like 3

I think I found the ad. 

That pittance will become a small fortune in no time. 

You should do it.

Maybe it's the holiday weekend.

Do you know where the boat is? You could just take it and leave a note with your email address. :D

The town isn't that big, I probably COULD drive up there and find it! LOL

9 hours ago, Alan H said:

The town isn't that big, I probably COULD drive up there and find it! LOL

We want pics!

The owner that the 1-D association has listed lives in the right town. He's a real estate agent and his phone number is listed. I'mma ring him up later today.

Oh shit. RE agents consistently have a high drift factor, about the same as yacht brokers. Good luck.

I called, The voice on the answering machine confirmed that I had the right name.  I left a callback number and communicated that I knew what a Piper One Design was and that I'd sent four e-mails this week.  We'll see.

We're playing phone tag, but I've got the right guy.

Meanwhile, down in Texas...

https://www.coastmonthly.com/2017/09/piper/

170924-cst-stem-piper-03_132_3143.jpg

Finally talked to him.  Hull hasn't been in the water, he thinks in 40 years. He thinks the decks are good.

Some ditzbrain apparently called him up and told him that there was a fleet of them racing in  San Francisco. Riiiight. There are seven, count 'em seven of these hulls in North America. I  now know where four of them are.

it has the original early 70's yellow-anodized  aluminum mast, which all the guys in Scotland swear are faster than the newer sticks.  Tires on the trailer are < 4 years old. No sails.  They'd be shite, anyway, so it doesn't matter.

I gotta convince the Admiral at home to go for this, but if I can pull that off, I'mma gonna pull the trigger on this one.

• Like 3

On 5/29/2018 at 3:47 PM, Alan H said:

I gotta convince the Admiral at home to go for this, but if I can pull that off, I'mma gonna pull the trigger on this one.

Alan, the guys are getting impatient. How's it going?

In response to the Mrs' concerns, I'm working overtime to put together the  Caledonia/California Classic Sailing Syndicate. As in, me and two buddies go in together to buy the thing.  I'm tempted to buy it, so someone else doesn't and then just deal with the partnership details, later.  I'm also calling around about storage options.  As in, if the TI Sailing bunch doesn't have a dry storage slot, is there somewhere in the Delta that I can keep it for cheap until a dry-storage/launch slot comes available.

Answer to that is *yes*, BTW.

It appears that some have crossed to France.

http://associationtrident.e-monsite.com/pages/membres-et-bateaux/thor-le-piper-24-de-dominique.html

3.jpg

Damn. I'll sail with you France. I'll even pay my own way!

Somebody needs to hit that dude in the red jacket over the head.

What's the story on the boats in Texas? Seriously, this is the day sailor I've been looking for.

If you’re in the SF Bay Area are a competent sailor, have basic maintenance skills and are interested in a 1/3 partnership in this boat, PM me.  We have two and are looking for a third.

14 hours ago, Nirie said:

What's the story on the boats in Texas? Seriously, this is the day sailor I've been looking for.

I think there’s only one in Texas.  The article says that seven came to North America but I’m not sure that’s right.  At least 30 Rustler 24’s have been built, but I’d guess most are in the UK.

BOOM!  Made an offer...he counter-offered. Got it.   SWEET!

Apparently the trailer isn't capable of getting the boat down here from up in Nevada City. That's the bad news. The good news is that another guy I've been communicating with, who knows his shit, has tapped the deck and hull and found no delamination. Delammed decks are the primary bugaboo with these things.  SWEET.

I've got another rudder to make! LOL

12 minutes ago, Alan H said:

BOOM!  Made an offer...he counter-offered. Got it.   SWEET!

Apparently the trailer isn't capable of getting the boat down here from up in Nevada City. That's the bad news. The good news is that another guy I've been communicating with, who knows his shit, has tapped the deck and hull and found no delamination. Delammed decks are the primary bugaboo with these things.  SWEET.

I've got another rudder to make! LOL

Alan! Congratulations! Can't wait to see pics!

Now I have some reading to do, to figure out how to build the rudder for this thing.

That’s my boy! Got himself a proper yacht!!!!!

major congratulations 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alan H said:

Now I have some reading to do, to figure out how to build the rudder for this thing.

This thread is helpful.

Ha ha!...NACA section on this rudder?  I don't think so!