Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

Woody Goody

I'm pretty sure I'm way off target getting this right but I'll take a stab at this anyways and get the ball rolling.

Name: Slingshot

Where: south England

When: around 1977

DCAT~1.jpg_sml.jpg

The Slingshot I saw at Weymouth Speed Week around them was bigger - about 60 feet, and a proa IIRC.

Could yours be the Gougeon Tornado hulls - they were in Weymouth as well from memory.

I still remember Crosbow II thundering across the harbour

It does look like Gougeon Tornado styled hulls but looks longer and way wider than a Tornado and has in-board rudders among many other things.

I got here late but. Beowolf, Hurricane Gulch and late sixtys early seventys. Dad was racing Unicorns at the time and I was a grom crawling the pier at CBYC. Occassionally, when boats would have minor gear failure, I'd help do a quicky repair and get rides out of the deal. Beowolf will be one I'll never forget.

It's definitly Beowolf, owned by Steve Dashew. I'll guess 1970 because that main is one we recut for him before building a new one that they had in 1971. Maybe an Ensenada race since they are flying a burgee. Looks like Steve driving and probably Rick Taylor crewing

It could be 71 because we might not have built the new main before the Ensenada Race. No way its its 73 because that is the year that Rick, Randy Smyth, and I had the Ranger 37 "Wings". Randy and I sailed it to Ensenada while Rick went on Beowolf and we had the big loft bet going on who would do better; they definitely used all the good sails that year.

We probably called the bet a draw, but I think we beat them easily on corrected time. I had forgotten that you were there, it was a fun group of people from the loft. Too bad we didn't win overall that year. I thing we were the 17th monohull to finish, not bad for a Ranger 37, first in class and 2nd overall. The Ericson 46 Drumbeat corrected out when the wind died going into the finish.