I figured they deserved their own thread. 

This would be the first time ever that a Norwegian team challenges for the Cup. They are still hunting sponsors, but Norway actually has the sixth-highest BNP per capita in the world (USA - 11, Sweden - 15, NZ - 31, Italy - 33) mostly thanks to their oil, so there is plenty of money available if they play their cards right. 

Norwegian sailors? Well, since Roald Amundsen and Thor Heyerdahl are both dead, i'm not sure. 

Most research will take place at NTNU in Trondheim, Norways second largest university. "We will win the cup with Norwegian technology and Norwegian heads", said Christian Løken, one of the two initiators of the project in this interview.

Cool that they try.

But to be honest the interest in sailing in Norway isn't very high,  the project will struggle attracting enough money. Kudos if they do, though, it will probably be a national record in amount raised for a sailing campaign.

Don't think any Norwegian has been able to raise big bucks since Knut Frostad did it for his last VOR campaign 17-18 years ago. There has been many failed attempts since.

Crossing my fingers.

Right. But 37 days more, and fortunately this - and similar - nonsense will come to an end

Today is first time I hear about this - its to late to start looking for 400mill kr. NTNU (my old school) has the know-how -  but the sailors - even Norway had nearly the same status in J-boat days that NZ has now - we really dont have many at top level for this event.

And this type of less democratic events - we are not into this anymore. 

If someone wanted to really go into modern sailing to develop something around foiling - your chances of success would be much better without the AC shit. Idiotic limitations and  slim chance to win whatever you do. 

Sounds like a worthy project -- heavy on passion and light on available cash.

History suggests that the syndicates that make it to Cup competition invariably have the committed support of a least one big money backer, often with an ego to boot, plus a love of sailing. That or some insanely excellent sailing talent that draws national support.

These guys haven't pulled those rabbits out of the hat yet and the countdown clock is ticking!

9 hours ago, Xlot said:

Right. But 37 days more, and fortunately this - and similar - nonsense will come to an end

whats happening in 37 days?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Norway going to move away from oil based energy production? Plenty of the black gold in the waters around there (had a quick stint in Stavanger back in the day) so they would be pulling in some serious money.

We dont have oil based energy production - but hydro-electric - and had that long before oil was discovered.

But we have oil and gas - and sell it but see the future is emission free production of energi - and work on that - like wind-farms at sea.

Maritime sector is big and advanced - so to spend on some development there is not far fetched - but AC - is far fetched. 

Norwegian sailors were very well-respected and in high demand back in the day...hope they can get their funds in time for the next AC cycle, of not for AC36.

Basic; People are positive, but both sailors and finance say its too early in 2021.  They have a plan for stealing  key people from Swedish Artemis team.