Sign in to follow this  
the_abandoned_brane

Hawaiian shirt season begins this weekend.

Recommended Posts

I'm having trouble finding designs I love. I prefer ones with large hula girl prints on them. The 'engineered' shirts of 20 years ago. I'm constantly scouring ebay for ones I don't own or haven't seen. Even the classic designs that originated from the 50s are no longer in print. There's still a few nice ones being made, but most are mediocre. This one is my all time favorite. I picked up a tablet and illustrator to design my own and use spoonflower for printing them, but I've been too busy this winter. Ugh. 

s-l400 (9).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boeing 314    Martin  130   Sikorsky  S-43

What's not to love?

"China Clipper calling Alameda"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh.........hello......its always Aloha shirt season at my house....................thats really all I own own now that I'm an old retired guy. If you can't wear an Aloha Shirt...I don't go......

 

 

IMG_1415 (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh....I have a few pair of shorts as well............there are the "dress shorts"....and the "kick around shorts". 

 

IMG_1416 (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

 This one is my all time favorite. I picked up a tablet and illustrator to design my own and use spoonflower for printing them, but I've been too busy this winter. Ugh. 

s-l400 (9).jpg

That's a gorgeous shirt. How often do you wear it? Do you find that you have to ration it's use a bit?

It looks like it's airbrushed? But if someone screen printed that, then that person is a master.

Is spoonflower a shirt printing service? I would buy something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ropetrick said:

Boeing 314    Martin  130   Sikorsky  S-43

What's not to love?

"China Clipper calling Alameda"

You know your stuff. I have always loved flying boats. 

The story of Juan Trippe and the Clippers is a great one. 

 

C6DBE5A9-3B03-4B3A-B426-A277F17092D4.jpeg.fcde47ba6a70217185d58140f824d388.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Point Break said:

Uh.........hello......its always Aloha shirt season at my house....................thats really all I own own now that I'm an old retired guy. If you can't wear an Aloha Shirt...I don't go......

 

 

IMG_1415 (1).jpg

:lol: I don't think there is a closet in america that does not have that red and white flowered one on the right hanging proudly.  The silk Tommy Bahama's are my fav... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mikewof said:

That's a gorgeous shirt. How often do you wear it? Do you find that you have to ration it's use a bit?

It looks like it's airbrushed? But if someone screen printed that, then that person is a master.

Is spoonflower a shirt printing service? I would buy something like that.

It's screened. I've gone through two, and have two more waiting in the wing. I pluck them off eBay when they show up. It's cotton, and super soft and light. They're getting harder to find. I just bought this one off eBay today, of a different design and maker. I consider hawaiian shirts pieces of art. Like women and shoes, a man's gotta put a lot of thought on what hawaiian shirt is just right for each occasion. Spoonflower does small run textile printing. They're in south carolina I think.

s-l400 (11).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shaggy said:

:lol: I don't think there is a closet in america that does not have that red and white flowered one on the right hanging proudly.  The silk Tommy Bahama's are my fav... 

Agreed!! I love the silk till it gets real humid then the cotton blend stuff is nice. Tommy has plenty of those as well. I do have a couple Charlie Sheen Nat Nast shirts as well when I wanna change things up. :lol: BTW - those do not even show my Reyn Spooner Xmas "collection" of the annual Xmas shirt each year. Mine go back 18 years now..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, the_abandoned_brane said:

It's screened. I've gone through two, and have two more waiting in the wing. I pluck them off eBay when they show up. It's cotton, and super soft and light. They're getting harder to find. I just bought this one off eBay today, of a different design and maker. I consider hawaiian shirts pieces of art. Like women and shoes, a man's gotta put a lot of thought on what hawaiian shirt is just right for each occasion. Spoonflower does small run textile printing. They're in south carolina I think.

s-l400 (11).jpg

Damn that's gorgeous.

It's not often that an SA post changes a man, but I'm changed. I just bought my first Hawaiian shirt today because of this thread. Not in the same league of beautifulocity as the one in your picture, but I'm just a beginner.

I was long ago taught that only the following people should ever wear a Hawaiian shirt ...

1. Actual Hawaiians

2. Homosexual men or women

3. Overweight party guys who bang a ton of sluts and do lines of cocaine off of a prostitute's ass named "Manifest Destiny." (The prostitute's ass. The actual prostitute is usually named something like Carol or Ann.)

4. Retired guys who are physically holding some kind of alcoholic beverage.

5. Skinny guys named "Skeeter" who own a dune buggy.

And like an idiot, I allowed that nonsense to keep me from shirts like the one you have. But screw it, I'm nearly retired, and I'm going to wear a Hawaiian shirt. (And then I'm going to finally fucking build a dune buggy.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mikewof said:

But screw it, I'm nearly retired, and I'm going to wear a Hawaiian shirt. (And then I'm going to finally fucking build a dune buggy.)

Choppe the fenderes off that Italian w hoarre in the girrage, shelle macke a finne dunne buggey!                             :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Point Break said:

Agreed!! I love the silk till it gets real humid then the cotton blend stuff is nice. Tommy has plenty of those as well. I do have a couple Charlie Sheen Nat Nast shirts as well when I wanna change things up. :lol: BTW - those do not even show my Reyn Spooner Xmas "collection" of the annual Xmas shirt each year. Mine go back 18 years now..........

I bought my first Christmas edition Reyn the inaugural year they started the deal in '83 when I still wore a Medium...slowly added to the Christmas collection over the next 15 years, mebbe had 7 or 8 of them, and was looking forward to the time til Grabs Jr. was big enough to wear that M. for Christmas pics...our house burned down before that could happen and the loss of that collection was one of those unfathomable losses that you just can't quantify...just never had the heart to start getting them again, the designs just kinda lost their appeal...I dunno, kinda broke my heart I guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grabbler said:

I bought my first Christmas edition Reyn the inaugural year they started the deal in '83 when I still wore a Medium...slowly added to the Christmas collection over the next 15 years, mebbe had 7 or 8 of them, and was looking forward to the time til Grabs Jr. was big enough to wear that M. for Christmas pics...our house burned down before that could happen and the loss of that collection was one of those unfathomable losses that you just can't quantify...just never had the heart to start getting them again, the designs just kinda lost their appeal...I dunno, kinda broke my heart I guess...

Oh man, that’s tough........it’s kinda a odd thing to be happy about, but I’m looking forward to starting Dec 1 and wearing a different one each day till Christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31357881_2107923422827927_2529875929567516634_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, shaggy said:

:lol: I don't think there is a closet in america that does not have that red and white flowered one on the right hanging proudly.  The silk Tommy Bahama's are my fav... 

Shaggs - I don't; but I have 30+ others, mostly Reyn Spooner's.  A tradition to wear then at least on every Wed Project Meeting since 2003.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:49 AM, chum said:

My favorite.

 

C2DB345E-6C85-4D46-8A69-EB45FF91B92D.thumb.jpeg.8fd2f1926aed2a377ef913a6d585271e.jpeg

 

I have one like that, but with different classic Minis on it!  Must remember to wear it at Mini-Meet East, in New Palz, NY in a few weeks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Choppe the fenderes off that Italian w hoarre in the girrage, shelle macke a finne dunne buggey!                             :)

Oof! Like using American Pharoah to haul buckets of water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Devoforedeckus said:

Here's a great place to find what you are looking for.  http://alohashirts.com/

Been there.....he (I thought it was a her owner but it has been a while) has some interesting vintage stuff but its way high priced. The old Spooners etc were pretty reasonable but you can get those anywhere.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Devoforedeckus said:

Here's a great place to find what you are looking for.  http://alohashirts.com/

I Would like to visit someday. Mostly to find out what the pink shirt in the middle is. I've been eyeballing it for years.

imgvintage.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favourite, not quite Hawaiian/Aloha but fun to wear.

I bought it 20 years ago and have never seen another like it

0C40C565-D23C-4F8F-B4D6-E8B91540F8ED.jpeg.297c2257c6950c43ca138186e5a27cff.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SPORTSCAR said:

My favourite, not quite Hawaiian/Aloha but fun to wear.

I bought it 20 years ago and have never seen another like it

0C40C565-D23C-4F8F-B4D6-E8B91540F8ED.jpeg.297c2257c6950c43ca138186e5a27cff.jpeg

Has an 80s vibe to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 6:49 AM, chum said:

My favorite.

 

C2DB345E-6C85-4D46-8A69-EB45FF91B92D.thumb.jpeg.8fd2f1926aed2a377ef913a6d585271e.jpeg

Mine, by Tori Richard.

 

20180529_103825.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started collecting about 20yrs ago. I now gravitate toward the more abstract designs. This is my current favorite. I really like the M.C. Escher-esque vibe.

0471.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Favorite............that would be really hard to choose. There are SO MANY "genres" of aloha shirts that its really tough. I think most of mine are in the more subtle variety. Quite a number of the plain print "embossed" sort of shirt that you really need to be closer to to see the designs. I think of those as my "dress shirts". Then there are quite a few that are various conservative floral prints which are sort of my "business casual" collection. Then I do have a few shirts like those shown above that are more vintage classic shirts with a themed print like those old Clipper shirts borrowing liberally from old Hawaiian travel posters and art. I tend to think of those as my "bar and ballgame shirts". 

One of my proudest claims to fame is being responsible for "Aloha Friday" attire at our FD HQ complex prior to my retirement much to the dismay of several of my senior staff who thought it "unprofessional". I was inclined to include shorts and flaps as approved wear on aloha fridays but would have had a complete mutiny on my hands so I settled for the aloha shirts/blouses. I dropped by on a Friday just a few days ago and quite happy to see the tradition has survived. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's it. All of you. Hand in your Man Cards. Now.

 

A fucking shirt thread, no less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Black Sox said:

That's it. All of you. Hand in your Man Cards. Now.

 

A fucking shirt thread, no less.

Pretty sure I did that when I started dating a guy who had a sex change. rolleyes.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:19 AM, DA-WOODY said:

31357881_2107923422827927_2529875929567516634_n.jpg

What a game !

I got over the Hawaiian floral things a long time ago....but have a problem with buying bold unique designs...

woody.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well..........if you're going to deviate from the strict definition of an "Aloha Shirt"......I do have two Mrs PB bought me that I like.

B)

 

IMG_1419 (1).jpg

IMG_1420 2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have quite the collection over the years. Some that would rival my bud DA-WOODY as they are quite rare. Some were made specifically for a regatta or program. A Dana Point YC one that I treasure. Some say that I'm channelling Jimmy Buffet or something but it was "Poncho" (Kieth Lorence) that got me started. It was the mid 70's and didn't know who JB was at that time. Most of these are on the boat or in storage and waiting for use. But I find some rare ones in the Boutique du la Sally Anne. Find them new or near new as some get them as a gag gift. It is a badge of honour to find one there and cheap like borscht. Bellow is an expensive Bill Blass shirt with the plastic tag still in the collar and I bought for 12.99. Last week I bought a high end one too and it was 50% off Friday at the Sally Ann. Cost me 3.49 and it was brand new as XL but getting it home I found that is labelled as a medium in the collar so that's why it was so cheap and wrong labelled from the store. 

I'll shoot some of my collection but this is a recent one and new or damn near:        

20170607_094132 (2) (595x800).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more from my recent collection. Still have the plastic tag on the collar. I don't usually wear XL but in a pinch for shirts like that you can fake it:

 

20180422_101306 (600x800).jpg

20180422_101407 (600x800).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3.49 one first. Brand new as it was labelled wrong from the store as Med. it's a XL. Second - Bill Blass. Brand new too. Still had the plastic tag from the store. 14.99. It's fun to find one of these. A real score.

20180609_162439 (600x800).jpg

20180609_162828 (600x800).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2018 at 6:00 PM, Point Break said:

Agreed!! I love the silk till it gets real humid then the cotton blend stuff is nice. Tommy has plenty of those as well. I do have a couple Charlie Sheen Nat Nast shirts as well when I wanna change things up. :lol: BTW - those do not even show my Reyn Spooner Xmas "collection" of the annual Xmas shirt each year. Mine go back 18 years now..........

 

if it isn't a spooner, it ain' a hawaiian shirt...     co-worker, hawaiian, had about 50 in his closet..

https://www.reynspooner.com/collections/men

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

 

if it isn't a spooner, it ain' a hawaiian shirt...     co-worker, hawaiian, had about 50 in his closet..

https://www.reynspooner.com/collections/men

Spooner is great stuff, I have quite a few...and they do wear better in high humidities...but to say its not an aloha shirt if it ain't Spooner, thats a tough assertion, I do consider my silk TB's with a nice pair of slacks - and in many circumstances a really nice pair of shorts - suitable for nearly any occasion and would feel under dressed if wearing a cotton Spooner. But, to each his own.......(sorry to start a sentence with a conjunction).

And 50..............that is a lot especially for just one style. I'm sitting in the 30's not counting my 18 Xmas Spooners and 3 more TB Xmas. (Damn..another sentence started with a conjunction, I'm outta control now that I'm retired!! At least I'm getting my ellipses under control...............sometimes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Spooner is great stuff, I have quite a few...and they do wear better in high humidities...but to say its not an aloha shirt if it ain't Spooner, thats a tough assertion, I do consider my silk TB's with a nice pair of slacks - and in many circumstances a really nice pair of shorts - suitable for nearly any occasion and would feel under dressed if wearing a cotton Spooner. But, to each his own.......(sorry to start a sentence with a conjunction).

And 50..............that is a lot especially for just one style. I'm sitting in the 30's not counting my 18 Xmas Spooners and 3 more TB Xmas. (Damn..another sentence started with a conjunction, I'm outta control now that I'm retired!! At least I'm getting my ellipses under control...............sometimes)

he IS hawaiian..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a nice collection of cheap Hawaiian shirts from our Pacific Cup races.  Here's Bob Perry modeling one of the more "visible from space" ones:

robert-h.-perry---profile-photo.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

he IS hawaiian..

So you have a sampling of.............one. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Full crew and shore support team at Airlie Beach Race Week, back a few years now. Fun, not fashion.

1071696857_BABRW2011Batch2218(186).thumb.jpg.04b419c72c4216cfec3a392a7ff84633.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2018 at 3:26 PM, Maxx Baqustae said:

One more from my recent collection. Still have the plastic tag on the collar. I don't usually wear XL but in a pinch for shirts like that you can fake it:

 

20180422_101306 (600x800).jpg

 

I like this one. It would make a great dinner shirt. The black shirt contrasts nicely with the lovely colours. Your right about sizes. A perfect fit is not what these shirts are about. Flapping in the breeze causal with a tshirt underneath is right. Or no tshirt as when I was younger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this