Haligonian Winterr

Bonding Delrin to SS. Glue Suggestions?

Title says it all. Personal experience, anecdotes, myths, legends and fairy tales, we're up for anything.

Whats the best adhesive? Doing a 2cmx8cm wedge onto a stainless bar. Most load will be in shear.

HW

You can flame treat Delrin and use G-Flex (or similar) or Plexus. That's about as good as you are going to do. 

For the average user G-Flex is your best bet. There are more esoteric plastic glues out there but are $$ and uncommon.

Don't expect it to take a ton of load. However I did have a similar size piece of UHMW bonded to the front of our anchor locker. Never came loose and had a 5/16" chain running over it on a very regular basis.

Bonding delrin to a dissimilar material is difficult . Delrins thermo expansion cooeficient is seven time greater than steel .

the adhesive must accomodate this movement or the bond will fail. 

I've tried some of the esoteric plastic glues made specifically for low surface reactivity plastic. I tested the results by breaking the joint in a press. I got no better results for the (unflame treated) special products than for G-Flex. When both where flame treated, again no significant difference in strength. The difference between flame treated and not was dramatic however.