BobbyZ

Outboard Bracket for J/29

Need a new bracket for a 6hp four stroke.  I'd like it to have as long a vertical lift as possible.  Any suggestions?

You are looking for either a Norestar or Marine Tech motor mount. You can find them on line or at local marine supply stores. Just remember to properly brace the back side of the bulkhead when mounting. Also make sure you get one for the weight of the motor, as they come in different sizes. You don't want one to light weight for the motor.  

Thanks.  The Marine Tech only travels 11".  The current 2-Stroke mount travels 15".  Will 11 inches get the motor deep enough in the water? 

My Marine Tech mount has a 14 inch travel, and a friend Norestar has a 14 inch travel. Mines on a J-22 and my friends is on a J-27. I would say if it is deep enough depends on how low you mount it vs the height  of the deck. I had the 11 inch M/T on a Compact years ago, that worked fine but I had a long shaft motor.  

On 5/26/2018 at 5:39 PM, BobbyZ said:

Need a new bracket for a 6hp four stroke.  I'd like it to have as long a vertical lift as possible.  Any suggestions?

Forget the bracket I have a whole boat for you.

I have the boat--and for now one is enough :rolleyes:.  If you want to start selling off parts let me know. 

BTW what brand outboard bracket are you using? 

Thanks Squalamax -- is your Tohatsu a 4-Stroke? 

The listing says the bracket is for 2 Stroke motors, but I find it hard to believe that a 6hp 4-stroke has more torque than a 12 hp 2-stroke.

On 6/4/2018 at 2:56 PM, BobbyZ said:

Thanks Squalamax -- is your Tohatsu a 4-Stroke? 

The listing says the bracket is for 2 Stroke motors, but I find it hard to believe that a 6hp 4-stroke has more torque than a 12 hp 2-stroke.

Yes, Tohatsu 4 stroke.