Bull City

Bottom paint for fresh water

I sail on an inland fresh water lake in North Carolina. I've been using standard ablatives, but they don't seem to do so well with slime. We get algae, but no barnacles. Would a "slime release" type paint be the thing? I'd like to stick with an ablative.

Thanks.

I've about decided that ablatives in the absence of barnacles are just dumb.  It seems better to go with hard paint and physically wipe the slime off every week.  

Either dive it, or make something like this for a few bucks:

BottomBrush.jpg

• Like 1

I don't paint the bottom of my lake boat. Just clean the scum when the short season is over.

Hey, moths fuckas! Give me some help on this.

6 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Hey, moths fuckas! Give me some help on this.

Maybe you should post some tits.

Just now, Ishmael said:

Maybe you should post some tits.

By my reckoning, I've been around here for 7 years, but I will comply with your wishes, because you are senior to me by quite a few years.

04-trump.nocrop_w710.h2147483647_2x.thumb.jpg.78750386d5987a8f4bd16c3c345e7ef7.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

By my reckoning, I've been around here for 7 years, but I will comply with your wishes, because you are senior to me by quite a few years.

04-trump.nocrop_w710.h2147483647_2x.thumb.jpg.78750386d5987a8f4bd16c3c345e7ef7.jpg

That's just one.

I’d go with a hard paint too, like Petit Vivid and just jump overboard and give it a wipe. My Dad did it every week when he raced.

Personally, I would just remove the paint, sand and buff the bottom back to shiny gelcoat and leave it like that.

I sail on an inland lake.  VC17 is popular.   Note that sailing season is 4, 5, maybe 6 months long up here (*way* up here) and everyone is hauled for the winter.  

57 minutes ago, bugger said:

I sail on an inland lake.  VC17 is popular.   Note that sailing season is 4, 5, maybe 6 months long up here (*way* up here) and everyone is hauled for the winter.  

that's what we use

I assume the answer would be different in zebra muscle infested waters?

5 hours ago, bugger said:

Here almost no one is hauled for the winter. Would that make difference? Just read about it on Jamestown Dist. website. Looks like a possibility. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Lark said:

According to USGS, we are not infested. I haven't seen any.

3 hours ago, Lark said:

VC17M works the charm in zebra infested Lake Ontario. Season is April to late Oct.

30 minutes ago, wick said:

VC17M works the charm in zebra infested Lake Ontario. Season is April to late Oct.

Thanks.   My home puddle is safe for the moment, but everywhere worth trailing to has zebra and quagga muscles.  They’re not my preferred fix for centerboard shimmy,   

Edit.   Can VC17m survive drying out for a haul out and road trip?    The webpage doesn’t say.

22F19796-442D-49FA-9775-DB251921544C.png.4da711a10947147a41fd9bfd6e2a745b.png

Lark,

It is a pretty hard finish. Some members at our club skip a season of application.

If your boat lives on the trailer, and you are launching and retrieving, even for a couple of weeks at a time, maybe not paint anything. A rinse and a wipe after retrieving may work. We trailered a number of boats for years, and never worried about the bottom. 2 weeks in the North Channel, a week in Lake Champlain..

17 hours ago, bugger said:

So how about if your boat stays in the water year round, or comes out for an annual 6-week dry out?

33 minutes ago, Bull City said:

So how about if your boat stays in the water year round, or comes out for an annual 6-week dry out?

I can only fantasize about living in such an idyllic and tropical paradise.

(Sorry - I can't answer that as I have no experience there.  Others will surely chime in.)

11 hours ago, Lark said:

Thanks.   My home puddle is safe for the moment, but everywhere worth trailing to has zebra and quagga muscles.  They’re not my preferred fix for centerboard shimmy,   

Edit.   Can VC17m survive drying out for a haul out and road trip?    The webpage doesn’t say.

They’re not my preferred fix for centerboard shimmy....good one!  I think the coating will not be affected by the drying out but it may get worn off where the boat rests on the trailer bunks.

9 minutes ago, bugger said:

I can only fantasize about living in such an idyllic and tropical paradise.

(Sorry - I can't answer that as I have no experience there.  Others will surely chime in.)

Bugger, do you re-coat each season?

8 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Bugger, do you re-coat each season?

Yes, but that is probably not strictly necessary.  Sometimes my re-coat is just touching up areas that look a little "thin".  

I know some people re-coat every second year.  

2 hours ago, wick said:

Lark,

It is a pretty hard finish. Some members at our club skip a season of application.

If your boat lives on the trailer, and you are launching and retrieving, even for a couple of weeks at a time, maybe not paint anything. A rinse and a wipe after retrieving may work. We trailered a number of boats for years, and never worried about the bottom. 2 weeks in the North Channel, a week in Lake Champlain..

Appreciate.   I have a slip for convenience but try to go somewhere more interesting for a 'cruise' each year so I launch three times a year.  It sits in a fairgrounds barn for four months and my driveway for about six weeks each year.   As my current three year old paint ablates and gets scuffed by the bunks I'm watching to see if the slime is worse on the naked areas.   At present my risk is minimal since I don't get long enough in big water plus it gets scrubbed and sits for at least five days before I find time to launch again.   I'm mostly thinking ahead for when muscles start growing on the local pontoon boats, and dreaming of more time off.   As the paint wears off I'll have options to recoat.  

16 hours ago, Lark said:

VC17 is pretty much the go to choice here on Lake Michigan. I’ve been doing bottom cleaning as a side business for about six or seven years and never encountered a zebra mussel on a boat with VC. Carp eggs are a different matter...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bull City said:

If we don’t do something, slime gives way to freshwater sponges, which are a bit more problematic.  Haven’t seen them in lakes... dunno.  

So, paint tends to get scraped off the bottom of the keel (gee, I wonder how...) sponges latch on there, and the boat develops a natural bulb!  Turns out it doesn’t help the hydrodynamics much, even though it looks just like one of those high-tech boats...

Granted we're in the water for barely 6 months and we use our boat quite often but I think how much stuff attaches to a boat is very much related to the amount of use a boat gets.  I have yet to redo the bottom paint on my boat.  I will when it comes out looking worse than the other boats at the club.   Also we don't race but we raced our Shark years ago and never repainted the bottom on that either.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, py26129 said:

Granted we're in the water for barely 6 months and we use our boat quite often but I think how much stuff attaches to a boat is very much related to the amount of use a boat gets.  I have yet to redo the bottom paint on my boat.  I will when it comes out looking worse than the other boats at the club.   Also we don't race but we raced our Shark years ago and never repainted the bottom on that either.

Are you using VC17?

Bull,  I'm not sure what bottom paint is on the boat at the moment.  It is a hard black  paint, that was there when we bought the boat in 2011.  If I were to re-do the bottom I would use VC17 as that is what most boats use up here.

On 5/29/2018 at 10:12 PM, Lark said:

Vic 17 and Offshore are hard burnished finishes that will last indefinitely out of water. Used them for 20 years and only recoat every couple of seasons because it is scrubbed before each race and re burnished at the end of the season, which  removes a little bit of the surface material itself. 

Bull,

I use VC17 on a boat kept in an impoundment lake.  Doesn't really seem to *prevent* slime, but maybe it slows it down some.  I have noticed that when hauled for the winter, stuff adhered to the finish comes off super easy with a scotch brite pad after it has fully dried out.

I've used the SeaHawk ablative that's made for fresh water.  Or at least recommended by Fisheries Supply for freshwater use.  It has kept the slime to a minimum.  I'll definitely use it again going forward.  And it's not too pricey as far as bottom paints go.

When I hauled my boat for the first time, after many years of neglect, the “beard” wasn’t as bad as I had feared. But... there were like, children’s handprints all over in the slime. Beavers? Otters?  Just gotta train em to use a squeegee...

I took my central Illinois 22ft lake boat down to gel coat, then two part epoxy paint, two coats to seal things up, then two coats of VC17. That was two years ago and no growth. Before that, had massive slime and algae growth. I leave my boat in all year, even freezes hard most winters.