Does anyone have source for or a spare Raymarine ST60 flush mount sun cover? The part number is A25005

Plenty of covers available for the ST60 plus series--- nothing for the older ST60s

Thanks for any help!

I need one, too.  Look close to eBay, sometime pops up.

3 hours ago, cpt_757 said:

I need one, too.  Look close to eBay, sometime pops up.

Yeah-- eBay. Some vendors advertise they have flush mount ST60 sun covers but when you enlarge the photos they are for the ST60 plus. Trying to find a way to have one or several 3D printed from an existing one. So far the 3D folks want a 3D file...

12 hours ago, familysailor said:

Yeah-- eBay. Some vendors advertise they have flush mount ST60 sun covers but when you enlarge the photos they are for the ST60 plus. Trying to find a way to have one or several 3D printed from an existing one. So far the 3D folks want a 3D file...

Hmmmm - 3D print seems like a great idea. I've made replacement covers from fiberglass prepreg before, but it's a pain in the ass and I had to make a vacuum table to get them looking half professional. I have a Standard Horizon plotter with the thinnest, crapiest ABS cover known to man, which has gone crispy in the sun - I lose more of it each time I take the boat out. 3D print might work out better. I wonder if they have a material that's UV-resistant?

Try this Ebay seller. I have bought Raymarine parts from him in the past. Good guy. If he doesn't have it , he can refer you to other Raymarine repair/refurb vendors.

Seller information

100% Positive feedback

2 hours ago, tomtriad said:

Try this Ebay seller. I have bought Raymarine parts from him in the past. Good guy. If he doesn't have it , he can refer you to other Raymarine repair/refurb vendors.

Seller information

kodiakjack99 (878 )
100% Positive feedback

Thanks! He has none listed. I sent him an e-mail through the convoluted Ebay system. Hope I reached him and he will reply.

I have some covers (that I'm using, you can't have them) and could take some dimensions if you wanted to 3D print some. As for UV tolerance, you'd just need to spray paint the outside after printing...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Didn’t know what was meant by flush mount so I googled. And found this for $20. Looks like cover is there

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Raymarine-St-60-flush-mount-kit/263703294413?epid=22017011074&hash=item3d65f0f1cd:g:I4QAAOSweltbAx7S

That asshole is charging $17 shipping for a $20 piece of plastic.

They should be pretty easy to print. You could use ASA material which is pretty UV resistant. What would be needed to develop the model is a spare ST60 bezel - a cover would get you close but a bezel would be needed to refine the dimensions. 

1 hour ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Didn’t know what was meant by flush mount so I googled. And found this for $20. Looks like cover is there

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Raymarine-St-60-flush-mount-kit/263703294413?epid=22017011074&hash=item3d65f0f1cd:g:I4QAAOSweltbAx7S

Yeah --- Saw that one too. It's actually for the ST60 + (plus) slightly different shape, rounder corners and the bottom radius is different. Will not fit. See his part number deeper in the ad. P for plus. The part number for the cover I need is A25005 no P or + or plus.

Raymarine ST-60 flush mount kit

P/N:  A25003-P

Perfect condition, new in box from old stock

includes sun cover, bezel, hardware and gaskets

58 minutes ago, DDW said:

They should be pretty easy to print. You could use ASA material which is pretty UV resistant. What would be needed to develop the model is a spare ST60 bezel - a cover would get you close but a bezel would be needed to refine the dimensions. 

I do have one to use as a model. The first response I received form some local 3D printing co-op said, "Unfortunately I don't think this is a good fit for 3d printing, at least not with the machines I have. If your budget allowed, I would probably suggest paying someone (like me) to 3D model it (probably $100) and then using that 3D model to get the parts printed online at Shapeways (probably $60-$80 / part)."

I am completely ignorant about the 3d printing process. It's like something I've read in a science fiction novel. Really have no clue as to who, what or where to contact to move forward.

On 5/28/2018 at 7:18 AM, Wet Spreaders said:

Hmmmm - 3D print seems like a great idea. I've made replacement covers from fiberglass prepreg before, but it's a pain in the ass and I had to make a vacuum table to get them looking half professional. I have a Standard Horizon plotter with the thinnest, crapiest ABS cover known to man, which has gone crispy in the sun - I lose more of it each time I take the boat out. 3D print might work out better. I wonder if they have a material that's UV-resistant?

It is pretty easy to 3D print nylon, and that can be purchased in UV resistant black.  I'm doing it with a $200ish 3D printer at home (Monoprice Mini Select v2).  I had to do about $50 in modifications to print nylon.

Someone said that these wouldn't 3D print very well, but I'm not sure why that would be.  They can be printed in a bowl configuration with no overhangs and that is ideal for 3D printing.  It wouldn't even take a lot of filament.

Hell even at $40 the OP is better off than the $250 that appears to be the minimum for 3D, at least according to this thread...

just keep looking at eBay etc; something oughta show up. Try also Sailorman (f.ex)  used marine bits chandleries. A long shot, but there’s a guy in Durango CO named Dan Gerhardt who does Ray repairs. I’ve done biz with him and was pleased. Maybe he can help. C250 at mydurango dot net

11 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Hell even at $40 the OP is better off than the $250 that appears to be the minimum for 3D, at least according to this thread...

just keep looking at eBay etc; something oughta show up. Try also Sailorman (f.ex)  used marine bits chandleries. A long shot, but there’s a guy in Durango CO named Dan Gerhardt who does Ray repairs. I’ve done biz with him and was pleased. Maybe he can help. C250 at mydurango dot net

+1 on Dan. He set me up with a rate gyro for my S3 autopilot and was very supportive and helpful.

It'd be fine in a 3D print process. Not a total duplicate of the injection molded part, no, but something quite serviceable (or even more serviceable). I can't imagine it costing $80 to print, it's going to be about $2-3 in plastic and maybe 4-5 hours to print. The model will take a little time, and you'd end up printing a couple of test pieces probably to get it refined. If you only need 1 then $20 is a good deal, but for 5 of em the investment in time would be worth doing. 

1 hour ago, DDW said:

It'd be fine in a 3D print process. Not a total duplicate of the injection molded part, no, but something quite serviceable (or even more serviceable). I can't imagine it costing $80 to print, it's going to be about $2-3 in plastic and maybe 4-5 hours to print. The model will take a little time, and you'd end up printing a couple of test pieces probably to get it refined. If you only need 1 then $20 is a good deal, but for 5 of em the investment in time would be worth doing. 

Yeah, I would certainly print a few since the tend to disappear often. A Bakers Dozen seems about right since a few people here and on Facebook are looking as well. I just don't know who's door to knock on with my one remaining cover in my hand.

Anyone know where to start in the SF Bay area? Preferably North Bay if the fabricators are numerous enough...

If you aren't in a tremendous hurry, I'll do the modeling and prototyping. I'm in Napa. With the model you can get instant quotes on Shapeways or other service bureaus. 

2 hours ago, DDW said:

If you aren't in a tremendous hurry, I'll do the modeling and prototyping. I'm in Napa. With the model you can get instant quotes on Shapeways or other service bureaus. 

Thanks for the offer!

I'm close by. I'll PM you.

By the way id your boat nearby, or still up north?

If you 3D print it, print the boat name on the covers as well. Nice touch, adds nothing to the cost.

Get Russell Brown to make glossy carbon ones after the R2AK. Man is a genius with glossy composites.

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

If you 3D print it, print the boat name on the covers as well. Nice touch, adds nothing to the cost.

Get Russell Brown to make glossy carbon ones after the R2AK. Man is a genius with glossy composites.

You'd need a cover for the cover so the UV wouldn't trash the glossy carbon.

1 hour ago, xyzzy said:

This thread has me thinking I should start stockpiling ST60+ covers now.

Probably a good idea.

If I'd only glued mine on I would have this problem.

No, you spray it with 2 part polyurethane clearcoat. Resists UV fine.

You'll have the only boat with $100 instrument covers :)

7 hours ago, Zonker said:

No, you spray it with 2 part polyurethane clearcoat. Resists UV fine for three months.

Fixed that for you. To be honest, it can last a year or two in the sunless PNW. 3 months in Florida. 

Are you suggesting all the carbon masts that are clear coated have paint that fails every 3-6 months?

I can only tell you what happens to my carbon sprit pole which is clear coat painted. It's now been recoated 3 times while the carbon masts and booms (painted in Awlgrip white) are still looking good in the original finish. In the Florida sun, the sprit pole gets too hot to touch (a problem all by itself, but very hard on the finish) and the UV gets two chances at it - once on the way through, once on the bounce back. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

Hmm wonder what clear coat paints they use on cars? They seem to lasr o.k.

The cars aren't carbon fiber.

I recall the heat issue from my carbon fiber pole. Sun covers that prevent direct sunlight from hitting the instruments but prove the added bonus of broiling sai instruments might not be cost effective.

My carbon fiber spin pole has a snugly full padded cover and lives in the cover hidden in the mainsail flakes under the mainsail cover. Unless we're sailing, then is hides below until required to perform in the nude. Quite shy, the pole is.

My transom is also clear coated, with the same Awlgrip product. But it is over the sky blue color. Which is over primer, which is over surfacer (which is over carbon). And not laying flat in the sun. It has lasted as long as the boat, no signs of failure till it tangled with a bastard mooring buoy in Block Island. 

Maybe, clear over carbon causes extreme heat cycles, combined with no buffer between clear and carbon? Composites move around quite a lot with environmental changes, both temperature and humidity. Something causes clear over carbon not to last as long. Cars are made of metal for the most part, pretty stable material, that. 

2 hours ago, woodpecker said:

I don't have the cover but I have one of these. Only 1 season of use. I have a mast mount bracket for it also. Whats it worth?

20180602_182811 (800x600).jpg

20180602_182801 (800x600).jpg

That unit will usually sell for somewhere between $100 and $200 on eBay because it can act as a bridge between a Seatalk1 network and an NMEA 0183 network. That assumes, of course, that you have the cover. Without it, it's practically worthless. ;)

I sold one of those for $275 with cover on eBay two years ago. Crazy since I spent less on the refurb Raymarine i70s that replaced it. 

My car actually does have a clear coated carbon fiber roof. I have no idea what bmw used. This car (i3) is mostly sold in California and has been around for 4 years, I haven’t heard of finish failures. 

Alex, is it carbon fiber, or carbon fiber "finish"?

Lots of stuff on cars that looks like carbon fiber is a wrapped photofinish - very interesting process.

It is carbon fiber.  It is an electric car and to save weight (trying to keep the car weight similar to other hatchbacks like the Golf) they made the upper frame and roof out of carbon fiber.  The roof is actually made of scraps bonded together out of other parts of the manufacturing process.  The body panels are ABS and there isn’t a lot of metal in the body of the car.

I think there is a translucent black paint more than a clear coat.

Since you make things you might find this video interesting:

It is an interesting car. Too bad the EPA made them handicap it. I'll look at the roof of the next one a run over.

On 6/3/2018 at 8:39 AM, woodpecker said:

I don't have the cover but I have one of these. Only 1 season of use. I have a mast mount bracket for it also. Whats it worth?

20180602_182811 (800x600).jpg

20180602_182801 (800x600).jpg

I buy and sell instruments. That is the ST60 Multi which became the Graphic in the ST60+ series. With covers in reasonable condition the going price is $200 - $300. Their value is to anyone who has matching ST60's and wants to maintain the same look and or has Seatalk1 wiring and plugs. The conversion of existing transducers analogue signal to NMEA (conversion done by ST60/60+ head units) then new cabling and cost of current generation instruments keeps a market for this older stuff alive. 

There are a couple Ebay sellers of repo ST60 covers. They are best purchased in quantity as their postage/handling charges are high.

35 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I buy and sell instruments. That is the ST60 Multi which became the Graphic in the ST60+ series. With covers in reasonable condition the going price is $200 - $300. Their value is to anyone who has matching ST60's and wants to maintain the same look and or has Seatalk1 wiring and plugs. The conversion of existing transducers analogue signal to NMEA (conversion done by ST60/60+ head units) then new cabling and cost of current generation instruments keeps a market for this older stuff alive. 

There are a couple Ebay sellers of repo ST60 covers. They are best purchased in quantity as their postage/handling charges are high.

Nothing out there for the ST60 flush-mount cover currently. It's annoying...

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, familysailor said:

Nothing out there for the ST60 flush-mount cover currently. It's annoying...

The reason being is flush mounts were mostly below deck instals that don't require a cover hence no one repos them. Frustration thing is there are lots of covers out there good as new sitting in cupboards but their owners don't know they are a valuable and sought after commodity.

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

The reason being is flush mounts were mostly below deck instals that don't require a cover. Frustrations thing is there are lots of flush covers out there good as new sitting in a cupboard and their owner doesn't know they are a valuable commodity.

Yeah, It seems the covers are in included with the instrument packaging as part of the optional mounting options. Mine were installed at the builders factory so anything extra was not sent with the boat. Mine are installed in a raised module above the companionway hatch. not a bad location as the are readable from the helm position... unless you happen to be sailing downwind. Then the view is blocked by a troop of silver back gorillas standing in the cockpit also blocking any possible view of where you might be going or possibly running into. Can't complain too loudly, especially if you've run low on provisions, They might turn on you...

• Downvote 1

Family the easiest workaround is keep an eye out for a flush mount ST60 head with cover on Fleabay. Might take a while. Resell without cover and with a bit of luck you may even break even.