Wooden_knarr

Panoptix Frontvu transducer

Hey guys - I have a garmin 942xs CP which I connected to my existing Ray st60+ wind, triducer and auto pilot using the SeaTalk1-->SeaTalkNG adapter (works great!).

Looking to probably phase out the existing depth and thinking about replacing it with the Panoptix FrontVu.  would be nice to know what's coming up ahead...

• Anyone have actual eyes-on experience with that?
  • any comments?

Note - we don't race (occasional beer-can fun).  Currently mostly day-sail sometimes overnight for the weekend while still working....but looking to retire in a year or two.   We'll probably do a bit of cruising to Bahamas and up the ICW.   (oh and boat is a Cataline 309...)

Thanks for any info - Dave - in Tampa Bay

I have just recently installed one for a fisherman at our yard.

Initial thoughts are- yeah, cool - but really not much more than that, especially when the price of the transducer is factored in. It definitely does what it says it will, but even that (and this is coming from someone who has looked at thousands of depth displays) takes a certain amount of brain re-training to realize that you are looking forward and not down- I know that sounds strange, but the actual display is very similar to a fishfinder type of display so (at least MY brain) really wants to interpret it as looking down and not looking forward/down.  

The transducer I assume you will want is the PS51-TH which is a little bit odd- it sticks out of the boat further than you might think and, while it has a blanking plug, there is no 'trap door' to stop a large stream of water coming in at full force if you went to install that in the water.

Also, not that it matters to you, because you already have the 'xs'- but the panoptix transducers will work on the non-sounder models fine (ie, the 942 in this case) because it is a network device- all the brains are in the 'ducer itself.

So, I guess my advice would be to wait and see how the pricing works out on them. That transducer is still silly expensive (actually all of the panoptix transducers are) and I wouldn't be surprised to see them come down when new generations start coming out. 

On 5/27/2018 at 2:11 PM, Wooden_knarr said:

Currently mostly day-sail sometimes overnight for the weekend while still working....but looking to retire in a year or two.   We'll probably do a bit of cruising to Bahamas and up the ICW.   (oh and boat is a Cataline 309...)

We are replacing the old "PC-View" Interphase (now garmin)  Xducer and interface box from 2003 with the Navico (Airmar) "Forward Scan" xducer as it is compatible with the other kit. 

Having used one, my perspective is a forward scan is very useful at slow speeds in flat water, for nosing into an inlet or creek, where you have time to look for rocks/ledge/sandbars. 

It's not as useful when you are pitching in waves, heeled, and going hullspeed.

You may want to retain a more conventional downward looking transducer for that task.