Varan

WIRW 2018 - someone had to do it.

Me's likey beer, but women and tongue, well you will have figure that one out yourself. BTW, what an awesome weekend. Hope y'all had a great one. 

Weedbey Island Race Week is great!

For the uninitiated / uniformed, the event website is  http://whidbeyislandraceweek.com/

It will be interesting to see how the new four day format plays out, and if it improves attendance.  It certainly is making logistics for Vancouver boats more of a challenge.

There are four Farr 30's registered so far.  We are really hoping to get the required six so we can have out own division.

We need the hendos and tigers back to reform the super 30 fleet.

Adult Summer Camp.  Haven't been since the late '90s (I'm pretty sure I have a full set of Whidbey Island Race News from then!).  Thursday through Sunday?!?  Delivery from BC is a real challenge with that schedule.  Ya almost have to have the delivery/race team and a second "get the boat home" group.

I think the change to a 4-day race schedule is good one and now I can get enough crew (that can take the time off) to do this regatta.

Charleston Race Week made the change from a week long to a 3-day schedule back in the early 2000's and participation went way up.

Too bad they didn't choose Wed-Saturday so people/boats can get home on Sunday like many other events have done

• Like 1

Unless you plan to pull a 20 hour day, the delivery to Vancouver is a two day affair.

17 minutes ago, Expat Canuck said:

Unless you plan to pull a 20 hour day, the delivery to Vancouver is a two day affair.

It's about 82 nm from West Van to Oak Harbor.  Thats about 13 1/2 hours at 6 knots.  

2 days is more fun, but can certainly be done in one long shot.  Or 10 hours to Anacortes, burgers at the Brown Lantern and 4 hours the next day.  Although if you draw more than 8', you might think twice about running through the Swinomish Channel.

Okay, 20 was over stated.  I have been in a situation where we had to do it in one day.  Left Coal Harbour at 11am, cleared customs in Pt. Bob, and arrived in Oak Harbour at 6am the next morning.  That was not fun.  Especially the bit where we went through Deception at 2am against the max current.  (10 foot draft).  So 17 hours.  Of course, there is also a draft restriction on getting into Pt. Roberts, so you need to time your arrival and departure for there carefully, as well as currents at Deception.

In the past, we have delivered on Friday / Saturday so that we could practice Sunday before the Skipper's Mtg and party, and the delivered home Sat / Sun.  So one practice day and five days of racing for 6 days off work.

This year, it looks like we will deliver Sat / Sun before the event, have a crew member drive down to pick up the delivery crew Sunday evening and return to Van, then everyone drive down Wednesday at noon for Skipper's meeting and party (no time for practice).  Four days of racing. Then what?  We could have delivery crew leave Oak Harbor right after racing Sunday to start the trip home, and then get home Monday, but what fun is that?  They miss out on the awards.  So realistically, the delivery home is Monday / Tuesday. 

So that's 4.5 days off work for 4 days sailing.  If you delivery the Mon/ Tues before racing, that's 7 days off work for 4 days sailing.

It's all doable, but a bit of a PITA.

I understand that the OA are trying different things to improve participation, and that is great.  I brought up the above issue with them, and they extended moorage to the weekend before to facilitate delivery, which also is great.

We will be there because WIRW is the best event in the PNW by far, and I have loved it ever since I first went in '88.

If the change in format does lead to increased participation from Seattle, that will make it even better, and will make it worth the added pain that the few Vancouver boats will have to deal with to get there.

2 minutes ago, Expat Canuck said:

Okay, 20 was over stated.  I have been in a situation where we had to do it in one day.  Left Coal Harbour at 11am, cleared customs in Pt. Bob, and arrived in Oak Harbour at 6am the next morning.  That was not fun.  Especially the bit where we went through Deception at 2am against the max current.  (10 foot draft).  So 17 hours.  Of course, there is also a draft restriction on getting into Pt. Roberts, so you need to time your arrival and departure for there carefully, as well as currents at Deception.

In the past, we have delivered on Friday / Saturday so that we could practice Sunday before the Skipper's Mtg and party, and the delivered home Sat / Sun.  So one practice day and five days of racing for 6 days off work.

This year, it looks like we will deliver Sat / Sun before the event, have a crew member drive down to pick up the delivery crew Sunday evening and return to Van, then everyone drive down Wednesday at noon for Skipper's meeting and party (no time for practice).  Four days of racing. Then what?  We could have delivery crew leave Oak Harbor right after racing Sunday to start the trip home, and then get home Monday, but what fun is that?  They miss out on the awards.  So realistically, the delivery home is Monday / Tuesday. 

So that's 4.5 days off work for 4 days sailing.  If you delivery the Mon/ Tues before racing, that's 7 days off work for 4 days sailing.

It's all doable, but a bit of a PITA.

I understand that the OA are trying different things to improve participation, and that is great.  I brought up the above issue with them, and they extended moorage to the weekend before to facilitate delivery, which also is great.

We will be there because WIRW is the best event in the PNW by far, and I have loved it ever since I first went in '88.

If the change in format does lead to increased participation from Seattle, that will make it even better, and will make it worth the added pain that the few Vancouver boats will have to deal with to get there.

Good post.  And I agree about the PITA.  

But we also trudge out to Victoria for a one day weather lottery every year.  So PITA is kind of a given.  

Now if Oak Harbor could just get the harbor dredged, I'm pretty sure there are a number of  larger boats that would show up, like the old days.

Yeah, I didn't envy the Seattle boats coming in on Friday.  We delivered from Vancouver to Victoria on Thursday.  Unfortunately, the forecast was completely wrong, and it ended up being a 13 1/2 slog into the wind.

Agreed about the harbor entrance.  There have been a couple of times when we scraped going out.  The past few years, they have adjusted the dates to try to avoid issues with tide levels in the morning and evening, and have been largely successful at that.  It no doubt helps that one of the advisors to the OA owns one of the deepest draft boats.

The organizers really are very responsive, and willing to listen to the concerns of racers.  That's why we are giving the new format a chance.  I'll reserve final judgement until after the event.

6 hours ago, Expat Canuck said:

I hope it does, but I preferred the Mon-Fri racing. For us, it is an 8 hour road trip. Tell the boss you are taking that week off. Travel Saturday, launch, setup camp and party. Meet at the boat Sunday to cleanup, tune, whatever, and take the boat to Penn Cove for mussels and beer at Toby's for lunch. Practice that afternoon in Penn Cove when the breeze fills in, then head back in time for the opening party.

Then a week of meet at the boat at 10am, race, party. Most of the time we can pull the boat Friday, hit the party and be on the road Saturday morning (or later if we pull Saturday morning). Home Saturday evening, recoup Sunday, work Monday.

IMHO, it was perfect, but profits and participation suggest otherwise. Refreshing too, because not once have I ever thought about work while there.

Side note: The music and beer at the parties of late have been good too.

Guess we will just have to adapt, because I agree it is the best the PNW has to offer.

Cheers 

~ Varan

PS...

Wifey and I will be at a concert the weekend before in Woodinville. I am planning on staying on the island afterwards. If ya'll need help, please give me a shout. 

Rumpus is in with some tag team driving going on

Now that WIRW is over, I can say that I had a great time. Winds did not cooperate well, but had one race a day for the first three days and three races the last day. No down days this year.

I personally like the Monday thru Friday format. A number of boats left early Sunday for their delivery home and missed some races. 

One suggestion was to go back to mon-fri and have a midweek Iayday for those people who need time off to go home for a day. The rest  of us could go play at some other activity.

The boats leaving the race course early Sunday, and others leaving for delivery right after racing and skipping the awards was a pretty predictable outcome of the new schedule.

Our delivery crew is still on the way home (missing two days of work).  So yeah, we prefer the Monday  to Friday format.  I would be hesitant to have a lay day, in the worry that it would be the best sailing of the week.  And not everyone can pop home to work for one day.

Too bad about the winds this year.  I've never started and finished a race in an easterly in Penn Cove before.

But all in all, it is still the best regatta of the year in the PNW.  We'll be back next year.

Schelleen is looking for feedback regarding dates. It will still be hosted by OHYC next year, but please let her know your preference regarding when. I too like the M-F schedule.

Schelleen is accepting feedback regarding next year's schedule until August 20th, after which the dates for WIRW 2019 will be announced. So please make your preferences be known before then.