Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Satelitte Broadband

Thinking of upgrading from the handheld to broadband for AUS east coast racing this season. . Iridium pilot and Inmarsat Sailor Fleet one (cheapest option), look like they will do the job. Anyone got any recommendations?

10 year happy customer for Inmarsat FB 250.  Backed up with an Iridium Ho, new this year and turning out to be excellent. 

Rail I think the FB250 is currently enjoying its 10th birthday and I don't think anything on the horizon in Inmarsat land to change that excellent antenna size/data speed form. 

The only thing is maybe from Iridium shortly breaking Inmarsats GMDSS satellite monopoly and then may come up with a more cost effective 250mbs broadband service. However monopolys that go to duopololys seldom seem to upset the pricing applecart.

If you wished to also carry a GMDSS compliant platform like an Inmarsat Mini C terminal, you may find your local provider can do a good deal if also packaged with a broadband service.

Not really a broadband link, but does anyone have inside info re: actually availability of Iridium Next handsets / service availability?

20 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Rail I think the FB250 is currently enjoying its 10th birthday and I don't think anything on the horizon in Inmarsat land to change that excellent antenna size/data speed form. 

The only thing is maybe from Iridium shortly breaking Inmarsats GMDSS satellite monopoly and then may come up with a more cost effective 250mbs broadband service. However monopolys that go to duopololys seldom seem to upset the pricing applecart.

If you wished to also carry a GMDSS compliant platform like an Inmarsat Mini C terminal, you may find your local provider can do a good deal if also packaged with a broadband service.

Yeah, the FB250 has the right balance of performance and weight.  The other broad band options are bigger foot print and more weight. And don't work on 12 volt, which also adds weight.