Sign in to follow this  
taurash

traveler car not working properly

Hello,

I have noticed that the traveler car for the mainsheet is not working properly. I own a BluSail 24 and the traveler is a 22mm Harken Hi-load.

This is all the info I got opening the car and extracting the bearing from inside. I count them for both sides as 42 small balls.

I guess these bearings are the problem but I am not sure because I cannot figure out what else could cause the problem!?

I cannot find a documentation for my traveler and what I found similar has 40 bearings with 21 for set and I do not understand how comes 21 for set but in total is 40?

I attach some pics as well.

Please advice me how can I find out what bearings should I buy and what should I care about to repair this traveler car.

Thanks in advance

IMG_7623.jpg

IMG_7625.jpg

RTFM > Read the Fokin Manual :P

What is the difference between #ball per car and #ball per set/kit?

I have extracted 42 balls and in the replacement kit I see there are 40 balls per car and 21 per set. 

one spare for the one you lose , and I'm guessing here but if the full 42 have been rammed in then she'll be a mit tight .

Do you know if I can install the bearings without getting out the track?

I ask this because the ends of the track are very close to the edges of the cockpit and I am not sure I can insert the car traveler from the edge. And I cannot use the loader either since there are no room for it to extend the track.

Btw, the track is 22 mm non-CB for small boat hi load (thanks to the link posted by Duncan above).

you can be try , Murphy will probably ensure you can't :(

15 minutes ago, taurash said:

Do you know if I can install the bearings without getting out the track?

I ask this because the ends of the track are very close to the edges of the cockpit and I am not sure I can insert the car traveler from the edge. And I cannot use the loader either since there are no room for it to extend the track.

Btw, the track is 22 mm non-CB for small boat hi load (thanks to the link posted by Duncan above).

It'll be a fun task. I'd put one end back on the car when it's on the track and start putting the balls in. Might have to use a lot of something to hold the balls in place when you put the other end of the car on, but it should be possible (thick shaving cream maybe ).

for whatever reason Harken doesn't sell replacement ball bearings with the right number of balls for cars. Every now and again the numbers match up. I'd try using 40 instead of 42. As Mid said if 42 fit it would be tight, might be the initial trouble you had.

you can get torlon balls from other sources...

might as well clean up the car and track if you haven't already.

You have lots of crud visible in your pic of the car - space where balls run must be clean. Track is probably also very dirty. Balls therefor probably chewed up & must be replaced. No vendor of Torlon balls sells exact amount of balls needed. Consult manual for the number needed for your car. If you cannot fit loader to end of track re-installing is difficult. You can attempt to insert balls with car on track - use shaving gel or any thick, water soluble paste to hold balls in car. Balls WILL bounce away easily, & they don't float.

And when you have it back together NEVER use dry lubricant on the car or track . The balls will skid instead of roll which makes flat spots on the balls and you will have problems pronto.

use "McLube one drop" or light machine oil like "4 n 20" to keep the balls rolling smoothly