Sign in to follow this  
Hitchhiker

Wilderness 30 "Yahoo"

So, somehow I picked up a bad bug. A Wilderness 30 kind of bug.  There is a really well sorted one for sale in the classifieds but it's got too much stuff for want I want to do with it. Which is have a minimalist sport cruiser.  Main, roller furling jib and ayso. Basic interior for weekends at the islands. Inboard diesel.  So, in my Internet searching there appears to have been one in San Diego called Yahoo which seems to have been really basic.

Question:  Any of you anarchists in Dago know whether that boat is still around?

Cheers guys, Hope you all are enjoying the memorial weekend. Don't forget a minute of silence for our service men at 1500 hours local!

Doug, aka Hitchhiker.

Never heard of Yahoo, but maybe because I am in Santa Cruz. Coming in late to this post because I have been home nursing back to health after ankle surgery and didn't remember my SA password to get in and no matter what I tried, I could not reset it.

I have owned Un 30 #3, Wildflower, which is a Wilderness 30 prototype in SC for around 22 years now so I am pretty familiar with Wilderness 30s. Domino, the boat in the classifieds, is an early production boat that was here in SC, donated to the university (UCSC), sold cheap, and upgraded for SHTP by the current owner (who won the last SHTP with her).

There are a couple others I have seen pop up for sale once in a while. One is in Moss Landing harbor and every time she is advertised it is for way too much $ (~25k range for way less boat than Domino in my opinion). Fugu in the SF Bay Area is another.

There were not many built (a dozen plus prototypes and early kit boats) so not easy to find. We have three together on O Dock in SC and a total of 5 in SC still (2 Un 30s and 3 Wilderness 30s). All different in various ways.

While I can not help you find Yahoo, I can offer what I know about these not so common Santa Cruz built "large Moore 24s." Ask away.

• Like 1

^^^^^^^

Great post, lots of info.Thanks.

This is the one I am referring to. Thinking it may still be in SoCal.

wilderness30Yahoo.jpg

I hope you can track her down. There were both masthead and fractional rigs. The production fractional was called a Wilderness 30 SX back when they were new and those were the newer ones. The exception being my slip-neighbor's boat which was (I believe) one of the first hulls and decks popped after the three Un 30s which has a fractional rig and a transom scoop. The other Wilderness on my dock also has a transom scoop and features a double spreader Olson 30 rig. Our rig is single spreader masthead, like Domino which is the boat currently in the classifieds.

They seem to all have some differences. Besides the rigs, different rudder positioning (all the way aft on deck vs. around 2' forward) keel shape and size, inboard or not, etc. 

They are wonderful boats to sail, very dry (compared to a Moore 24 or SC27) and go very well when the wind is up. I don't race anymore, haven't for decades. Just a guy who grew up sailing (and racing in the 70s/early 80s) in Santa Cruz with an affinity towards SC area built ULDBs. When my family began to grow back around 1996 my then girlfriend, now wife, and I decided our Moore 24 was too small and saw 'flower sitting next to her sister, Un 30 #1 now known as Maiden, semi-abandoned looking on U Dock in Santa Cruz (which was renamed Un Dock at the time) with a tattered for sale sign. First demo sail with the owner (who built her as a kit boat) was on a typical SC 20+ day, full main, #2 110 headsail, and on a close reach she was flying and virtually steering herself. We were sold right then and there. The pleasure she has given us for over two decades now is incredible. The only thing we really miss is she is just a little too big for my wife and I to comfortably double hand with the spinnaker like we used to on the Moore 24, but we are also 22 years older now too.

I raced on a Wilderness 30 in the Bay Area back in the early/mid 90's. I think it was at South Beach harbor. It was a hoot to crew on! 

These boats are wonderful sport cruisers and downwind racers.   Special Edition is a full turbo version, rating close to 30 sec / mile faster than a stock W-30 and sails very nicely to the rating.   More speed for less fuss than anything I've owned...and Ive owed a few ;-) Lethal in light air and always in the hunt off the breeze!

post-11711-0-66578900-1417053950_thumb.jpgT

On 5/28/2018 at 11:11 AM, Hitchhiker said:

So, somehow I picked up a bad bug. A Wilderness 30 kind of bug.  There is a really well sorted one for sale in the classifieds but it's got too much stuff for want I want to do with it. Which is have a minimalist sport cruiser.  Main, roller furling jib and ayso. Basic interior for weekends at the islands. Inboard diesel.  So, in my Internet searching there appears to have been one in San Diego called Yahoo which seems to have been really basic.

Question:  Any of you anarchists in Dago know whether that boat is still around?

Cheers guys, Hope you all are enjoying the memorial weekend. Don't forget a minute of silence for our service men at 1500 hours local!

Doug, aka Hitchhiker.

I know this bug well.    Only 1 sure cure!

• Like 1