Blue Crab

Immigrant Children

Exactly what I’ve posted.  Just meet them at the border do a few assessments and issue a work visa.  Have amazon et al set up a job fair, charaties can take care of immediate needs.  Let them go home and come back. It’s so fucking easy.

my only guess is that the 20 percent of ou country who are racists and corporations who fear inflated labor cost have enough pull to stop this.

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:
1 hour ago, hermetic said:

no, I don't have faith in all things government.  but I have little faith in reporters and especially lawyers.

however, I believe that dhs is more than capable of keeping track of a couple thousand kids they're responsible for.  anyone stating otherwise is just spouting emotional and political gobbledy goop

you don't get it do you.

DHS may well be able to track down these kiddies..but re uniting them with their parents requires co ordination with ICE..read the frigging article

For parents who've already been deported, Sandweg adds, "There is no agency that's now tracking the parent in Honduras." In other words, even if the Trump administration wanted to fly the child back home, Sandweg says, there's no guarantee the government knows where to send them.

Migrant parents held in detention are on a fast track for deportation – receiving a trial on their immigration status within weeks of crossing the border. Some desperate parents, Sandweg says, may have already been pressured into abandoning asylum claims and voluntarily accepting removal from the United States, in the mistaken belief that this would speed reunification with an infant child. But this is a false hope.

sandweg is not a credible source for the current operations of dhs (which owns ice)

however possible his what/ifs may be, as a lawyer he is careful to cage his statements with "even if" and "may have"

but, I don't disagree that reuniting a child that is currently under the care of dhs/hhs with parents that have returned to central America will take some time.  but it won't be because dhs/hhs doesn't know where the child is.

Two things I'd immediately do:

1)  Immediately increase/transfer/reallocate funding for judges and magistrates to adjudicate these cases.  If necessary, bring in the military courts for problematic cases.  But absolutely more money.  Both sides agree that (a) we need to follow the rule of law and (b) we need to get these cases dealt with quickly.  Rule of law and quick process means more judges which means more money.  This is a no brainer.  Just do it.  

2) Related but more contentious - get these folks legal representation.  ALL of them but particularly, any minors. Let the judges make rulings based on the parties understanding the facts.  This business of judges ruling on testimony from a 4 or 5 year old is just fucking nuts.   Again, put the money in.  You're hiring US citizens.  Call it a jobs program.  Call it whatever - but again, this is a no brainer.

There's a whole litany of other stuff but those two are just 'go do's' for anyone that believes even ---> <-- much in rule of law and due process.

5 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Assertion on your part. I dispute it. Show your evidence.

I note that you're not disputing my claim that we lock them out, not in.

FKT

Jeff lies. Lies and false equivalency is all they have. They are morally bankrupt.

14 minutes ago, cmilliken said:

1)  Immediately increase/transfer/reallocate funding for judges and magistrates to adjudicate these cases.  If necessary, bring in the military courts for problematic cases.  But absolutely more money.  Both sides agree that (a) we need to follow the rule of law and (b) we need to get these cases dealt with quickly.  Rule of law and quick process means more judges which means more money.  This is a no brainer.  Just do it.  

2) Related but more contentious - get these folks legal representation.  ALL of them but particularly, any minors. Let the judges make rulings based on the parties understanding the facts.  This business of judges ruling on testimony from a 4 or 5 year old is just fucking nuts.   Again, put the money in.  You're hiring US citizens.  Call it a jobs program.  Call it whatever - but again, this is a no brainer.

There's a whole litany of other stuff but those two are just 'go do's' for anyone that believes even ---> <-- much in rule of law and due process.

Yes.

25 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Exactly what I’ve posted.  Just meet them at the border do a few assessments and issue a work visa.  Have amazon et al set up a job fair, charaties can take care of immediate needs.  Let them go home and come back. It’s so fucking easy.

my only guess is that the 20 percent of ou country who are racists and corporations who fear inflated labor cost have enough pull to stop this.

Given the tariffs, if joe six pack wants to continue to be able to buy cheap shit at the big box store, we’ll need this approach.

1 hour ago, cmilliken said:

There seems to be some cognitive dissonance with that proposal....

2 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:
1 hour ago, cmilliken said:

There seems to be some cognitive dissonance with that proposal....

Someone should tell President Trump that his Tweet mirrors the policy as set forth by President Obama.

He'll immediately introduce cmilliken's idea.

23 hours ago, TMSAIL said:

What should the US do with the people showing up at the border?  

Second question how much US money should be spent on people that have no skills,  yet want to come in?  

1. Give them a work visa and an obama phone with a link to a jobs website

2. How much do you want to pay for lettuce and other produce?  You think skilled folks will go pick cherries?