sshow bob

Newport - Bermuda: Shoreside Events and Logistics

I am racing Newport - Bermuda this year, but have a host of questions about stuff ashore.  Can anyone answer the following:

Is there somewhere to leave a car during the race? We'll be returning on the boat, so we'd be back ~ June 30th.

How does the crew party work? Selma would like to come down and watch the start.  It would be nice to go to the party together.  I cannot find tickets or anything anywhere on line.

Is it worthwhile to watch the start? If so, from where?

What should we expect in Bermuda?  Selma will fly in and spend a few days there with me, and then we'll sail the boat back.   Are there events worth attending?  Must do sorts of things? 

Any info would be appreciated!

SSB

Selma should watch the race from Castle Hill, anytime after noon will be good as the crusing boats start first an faster all out racing machines are last (3-4pm)

Crew party requires a wrist band as usually is at Newport shipyard (assuming they haven't changed it). Usually the owner has to purchase these as part of the entry process. There might be some available at event.

Make sure as crew you get to the New York Yacht Club right away to pre clear customs as it gets busy especially with 180 boats doing race.

If Selma is sailing boat back get a letter from owner stating she is doing that as it will make her entry into Bermuda a lot smoother as they are picky about how long your there and when your leaving (especially if your leaving by sea).

Events in Bermuda, the yacht club parties can be fun for sure, that's where you should be.

4 hours ago, Stu McCrea said:

Make sure as crew you get to the New York Yacht Club right away to pre clear customs as it gets busy especially with 180 boats doing race.

Yes, preclearing in Newport is a huge plus. But if memory serves, they only will process you if the entire crew is being processed at the same time. Read the directions closely. 

13 hours ago, sshow bob said:

Is there somewhere to leave a car during the race? We'll be returning on the boat, so we'd be back ~ June 30th.

Not anywhere that won't cost a fortune. 

What should we expect in Bermuda?  Selma will fly in and spend a few days there with me, and then we'll sail the boat back.   Are there events worth attending?  Must do sorts of things? 

If you haven't been to Bermuda before, there is a lot to do but it all requires forethought and some planning. Transportation is slow and expensive (taxis) or "uniquely thrilling" (mopeds). But if you plan it out in advance then the transportation won't consume all of your day. From there it just depends what you want to do. The party at the RBYC basically goes nonstop; the golfing options are numerous and excellent; diving and snorkeling are great; beaches are great; food is so-so but some of the locations are great; tourist attractions can be interesting. A basic guide book will help you narrow it down. 

and then we'll sail the boat back.

Watch the weather carefully. The vast majority of the incidents and rescues take place on the return trip. I think people tend to leave on a schedule, and not when the weather provides the best window. 

3 hours ago, 2Newts said:

Transportation is slow and expensive (taxis) or "uniquely thrilling" (mopeds). But if you plan it out in advance then the transportation won't consume all of your day.

FWIW, I've found the bus system to be pretty reliable and inexpensive.