Thomas2693

Should you round the gate on a knock or a lift?

1 hour ago, Thomas2693 said:

Should you round on the knock or the lift at the gate.

Yes.

Whichever one comes first, round on that one.

FB- Doug

• Like 4

round whichever mark is upwind, easier to get to, from your current location (ah memories... "left gate is favorable!" "yeah but we won't need to risk a gybe if we go right!" "right it is!"), has less traffic, and favorable shift. If you can't get all of these at the same time, make a judgement call. 

• Like 1

^^that plus-are we talking about oscillating or persistent shift?  which side had more pressure last beat?  which side has better water (tide/current)?   too many variables for an easy one size fits all answer-thats why we keep coming back for 40-50 years

• Like 2

Ideally, round the most upwind gate and tack immediately.  If you're wondering which is the most upwind gate (given it was square in the first place) it's the one on the side you've spent the most time on down wind (if you've had a longer port tack then round the port gate, and vice versa).

17 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Not to mention coming back to get the crew that fell off the boat

That has happened to me at a gybe mark.

And it was my wife who fell off.

3 hours ago, Sal Minella said:

Ideally, round the most upwind gate and tack immediately.  If you're wondering which is the most upwind gate (given it was square in the first place) it's the one on the side you've spent the most time on down wind (if you've had a longer port tack then round the port gate, and vice versa).

^ this ^

If you have also been getting variations in wind strength, and going low in the gusts, you could end up closer to the other gate mark and benefiting from gybing around it. Or if this is the last gate, and you have to either break cover or sit on a close-astern opponent, you will have to make an appropriate maneuver to that situation.

As said by 'some dude' above, there is enough variation that you shouldn't have a single one-size-fits-all rule. But Sal's quick guide above is good.

FB- Doug

Considering that this was the OPs first post, any chance that this is simply a sock as it is one of the most illogical and stupid first posts I have seen in a long time?

Or am I misssing something?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Major Tom said:

Considering that this was the OPs first post, any chance that this is simply a sock as it is one of the most illogical and stupid first posts I have seen in a long time?

yeah you should look at some of the threads outside of DA - this one was like a mensa member!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:
1 hour ago, Major Tom said:

yeah you should look at some of the threads outside of DA - this one was like a mensa member!

I feel that the OP deserves the benefit of doubt, since he's not bragging about having recently built a steel boat.......

-DSK

• Like 1