Herman

VOR Leg 10 Cardiff to Gothenburg

THE COURSE 

Course 1 - Pennant 1, Start - Mark 1 to port - Mark 2 to port - Mark 1 to port - Mark 3 to port -
Leaving gate - Mizen Head to starboard – Muckle Flugga to starboard - Trubaduren to port -
Brede Bade to port - Buskar Gate - Botto to starboard -Vassakaren to port - Gaveskar gate -
Gothenburg Channel Limits -Alvsborg Gate - Älvsborg Bridge Finish. 

Course 2 - Pennant 2, Start - Mark 1 to port - Mark 2 to port - Mark 1 to port - Mark 3 to port -
Leaving Gate - Mizen Head to Starboard – North Ronaldsay Lighthouse to Starboard - 
Trubaduren to port -Brede Bade to port - Buskar Gate - Botto to starboard - Vassakaren to 
port - Gaveskar gate - Gothenburg Channel Limits - Alvsborg Gate - Älvsborg Bridge Finish 

Course 3 - Pennant 3, Start - Mark 1 to port - Mark 2 to port - Mark 1 to port - Mark 3 to port –
Leaving Gate - Chicken Rock to starboard- North Ronaldsay Lighthouse to starboard -
Trubaduren to port -Brede Bade to port- Buskar Gate-Botto to starboard - Vassakaren to port 
- Gaveskar gate - Gothenburg Channel Limits - Alvsborg Gate-Alvsborg Bridge Finish

route nr 1.png

route nr 2.png

route nr 3.png

• Like 1

What Charles doesn't understand is that this has turned into a Tuke V Burling race.

• Like 4

So  are there waypoints that require the boats to go West and then north, rather than south, through the English Channel to Gothenburg?

What I have been thinking about is this: the New Brunel and Mapre start much better than DF. And when either of them is ahead at the start, they stay there. Since Brunel's vast improvement the past several legs, DF has not been able to catch and pass her. That has also been true of DF and Mapre, except in this leg when Mapre  was not able to catch the same wind as DF after closing to go north, then went off the back and never caught up. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, southerncross said:

What Charles doesn't understand is that this has turned into a Tuke V Burling race.

Give yourself an uppercut on that brain freeze SX.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

Brain working on all caffeinated cylinders. But tongue in cheek in case you missed it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, despacio avenue said:

So  are there waypoints that require the boats to go West and then north, rather than south, through the English Channel to Gothenburg?

Sailing east thru the channel can be rather dicey unless the start date was determined by the favorable weather window. TBH I'm rather surprised that course 3 even contemplates the fleet passing thru the small isles.

• Like 2

Looks like half a Round Britain Race

It is about half of the route around the British Isles, starting from Cardiff and heading north along the coast of Wales, then up and over the north of Scotland, before descending south into the North Sea, around the southern tip of Norway and then east to Gothenburg. It’s 1,300 nautical miles and starts on 10 June.

What’s going to make the difference between the winners and losers on this one?

Westerly Storm Track: Although it’s short and starts just a few days before the summer solstice this could still be a very tough leg. The route takes the fleet a long way north, and into the path of any low pressure systems moving down the Westerly Storm Track, the conveyor belt of east-bound low pressure systems that prowl around the Arctic. 

If they get hit by a low pressure system it will be wet and fast... but it’s summer, and just as likely a scenario will be that the Sub-Tropical High Pressure known locally as the Azores High (a stable, semi-static area of High Pressure) will have drifted north and light winds will dominate.

Land effects: A lot of this leg is in close proximity to the land, and that means that all the usual land effects will be present. The daily cycle of heating and cooling of the land will create sea breezes blowing onto the shore during the day, and drainage winds blowing back onto the sea at night. Every headland and valley will bend and shift the wind, every island will distort it for miles downwind. There will be a lot to think about, including....

The Tides: The tidal streams around the British Isles are strong, commonly reaching 3-4 knots, and even more when it compresses on headlands. The tide floods in for six hours and then ebbs back out for six hours. So for any given course, a boat will have roughly six hours of favourable current – time best spent out in deep water – and then six hours when they need to try and dodge inshore, into shallow water where it runs less strongly. If the wind is light enough, anchoring can be a tactically smart option.

Any good stories?

A lot of legs have finished in Gothenburg; sometimes the fleet have come up from the south, and sometimes down from the north. Either way, it has produced some spectacular finishes, not the least of which was the four-way battle in 2001-02. Just a mile separated the leaders as they reached the offshore islands that protect the city, and it was only by ducking inshore to avoid the tide that gave ASSA ABLOY the win on the line.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/route/leg-10.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

They can go anywhere, but no through the English Channel. So west of Ireland or the Irish Sea. I think this is to lengthen to leg. VOR put in Aarhus as a waypoint for leg 11 in order to lengthen that leg too, unless a sponsor lives there :D

Schermafdruk 2018-05-29 21.41.05.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Miffy said:

Sailing east thru the channel can be rather dicey unless the start date was determined by the favorable weather window. TBH I'm rather surprised that course 3 even contemplates the fleet passing thru the small isles.

+1 for the keen eye! Going through those isles is not mandatory, only the depicted lighthouses are on course #3. The routing inside could be 20 nm shorter, but I don't know the local effects of the winds due to the islands. So could be worse going inside. Anyway, it will make a nice point where the nav's have to decide to go left or right if that course #3 comes up. 

7 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

THANK GOD

7 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

What I have been thinking about is this: the New Brunel and Mapre start much better than DF. And when either of them is ahead at the start, they stay there. Since Brunel's vast improvement the past several legs, DF has not been able to catch and pass her. . 

Ummm.  How fast we forget what actually happened.

Brunel was first out of Newport with a 1 mile lead. Then DF ground down Brunel with straight line boat speed and overtook Brunel .....As a Brunel fan I writhed as  DF turned a 1 mile lead into 2 miles into 3, 5 and even 7 miles

143480851_DFovertakesBrunel.thumb.PNG.77ed16e179355b1ba751c226d99cf682.PNG

Then DF tacked away to the North.  3 boats went North and 4 boats went South.  The South paid big time and DF was in fourth trailing by 50 miles.

2135354275_DFgoesNorth.thumb.PNG.bea04e3b347fce79291addfad6a71bd1.PNG

DF dominated the northern pack and then started reeling in the boats that came from the South, passing Vestas and bringing Brunel to within 20 miles by the time they passed the Fastnet rock.

5444559_DFcatchingBrunelagain.thumb.PNG.475f1aa41498dc748de3aa020f3ff8f7.PNG

I am a huge Brunel fan and very proud of the tactical decisions they took. 

However I am realistic enough to acknowledge that DF was very fast and the 50 mile headstart provided by the Southern route proved to be critical.

• Like 6

Still...no need to ruin a good story with the facts, MK. ;)

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Herman said:

+1 for the keen eye! Going through those isles is not mandatory, only the depicted lighthouses are on course #3. The routing inside could be 20 nm shorter, but I don't know the local effects of the winds due to the islands. So could be worse going inside. Anyway, it will make a nice point where the nav's have to decide to go left or right if that course #3 comes up. 

For Course 3 I think most boats would stay outside the Inner Hebrides and use the Minch. 

Going inside Skye would be very risky as there is 30m clearance on the Skye Bridge at high tide. 

Tidal effects could be large if they cut through the islands. 

Corryvrechan is north of Jura, I'm not certain i would enjoy sailing through this....

Having said that I can imagine Scallywag going through these areas just for the hell of it.

• Like 4

The Navigators will earn their keep this race.! Anybody got a clue on which Navigator would be across this leg more so than the others? Or which team will be more at home with this leg? A Swedish finish but a lot of POM to get through before Gothenburg..! :unsure:

Dee set the IMOCA Round Britain and Ireland Race in 2009.  I'm not sure who is Navigator for TTOP, but Brian Thompson has won the Round Britain and Ireland Race twice, including setting an IMOCA record in 2014.  

It would be great if TTOP got a win in this leg.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, southerncross said:

Brain working on all caffeinated cylinders. But tongue in cheek in case you missed it.

Very surprised Jack's normally better than that..! :D

Isn't it likely to be Course 1 because it is longer and  more "open" ocean.

6 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

Ummm.  How fast we forget what actually happened.

Brunel was first out of Newport with a 1 mile lead. Then DF ground down Brunel with straight line boat speed and overtook Brunel .....As a Brunel fan I writhed as  DF turned a 1 mile lead into 2 miles into 3, 5 and even 7 miles

143480851_DFovertakesBrunel.thumb.PNG.77ed16e179355b1ba751c226d99cf682.PNG

Then DF tacked away to the North.  3 boats went North and 4 boats went South.  The South paid big time and DF was in fourth trailing by 50 miles.

2135354275_DFgoesNorth.thumb.PNG.bea04e3b347fce79291addfad6a71bd1.PNG

DF dominated the northern pack and then started reeling in the boats that came from the South, passing Vestas and bringing Brunel to within 20 miles by the time they passed the Fastnet rock.

5444559_DFcatchingBrunelagain.thumb.PNG.475f1aa41498dc748de3aa020f3ff8f7.PNG

I am a huge Brunel fan and very proud of the tactical decisions they took. 

However I am realistic enough to acknowledge that DF was very fast and the 50 mile headstart provided by the Southern route proved to be critical.

Well, I just got my ass handed back to me, and I must say, well done, Mambo. Indeed, selective and short memory on my part for this leg. I was focusing on DF not being able to catch Akzo or Brunel for days and they were oh so close. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DtM said:

Isn't it likely to be Course 1 because it is longer and  more "open" ocean.

That is an interesting argument for a round the world ocean race ;)

• Like 1

Are there waypoints near the Orkney Islands? It can be fun and decisive when strong winds meet currents up to 9 knots in the Pentland Firth. (And that would be a shortcut)

39 minutes ago, Milli said:

Are there waypoints near the Orkney Islands? It can be fun and decisive when strong winds meet currents up to 9 knots in the Pentland Firth. (And that would be a shortcut)

See Post 1.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Milli said:

Post #1 of this thread shows them and names them.

5 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Dee set the IMOCA Round Britain and Ireland Race in 2009.  I'm not sure who is Navigator for TTOP, but Brian Thompson has won the Round Britain and Ireland Race twice, including setting an IMOCA record in 2014.  

It would be great if TTOP got a win in this leg.

They have Martin Stromberg, he’s from Gothenburg, so it would of course be extra nice for them to win this leg!

Also, he should have good local knowledge about the Swedish rocks in that area....they are freakin everywhere. 

Love the Mapfre and Brunel battle now. I had a ball watching Pete after the Kiwis won the cup and would love to see either him or Blair get the magical triple.

Excuse my ignorance and it's way too early in the morning for research.

Does the RO pick a course based on forecasts or can each boat do the one they choose?

On 5/29/2018 at 11:04 PM, despacio avenue said:

The English Channel is one of the busiest stretches of water in the world for merchant shipping and ferries, especially the Strait between Dover and Calais. Add to that traffic management schemes, and lots of inshore fishing boats and pleasure craft crossing, especially at this time of year, plus big tides and possibility of fog and no wind, all together, it is a recipe for an accident waiting to happen.

1 hour ago, paps49 said:

Excuse my ignorance

Does the RO pick a course  can each boat do the one they choose?

There are 11 legs and each boat has to stop at each stop over.

The finish is in the Hague but they have to detour via Sweden. Its not the most direct route but its something to do with an auto-maker sponsor.

15 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

They have Martin Stromberg, he’s from Gothenburg, so it would of course be extra nice for them to win this leg!

Also, he should have good local knowledge about the Swedish rocks in that area....they are freakin everywhere. 

Sorry, I forgot about him, yes he will be an even bigger asset than usual on this leg.

2 hours ago, paps49 said:

Excuse my ignorance and it's way too early in the morning for research.

Does the RO pick a course based on forecasts or can each boat do the one they choose?

The RO will specify the course before the start.  I guess that they will base the choice on the forecast and the length of time that the Race Committee have decided is optimal for to boats to be racing for this Leg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EYESAILOR said:

There are 11 legs and each boat has to stop at each stop over.

The finish is in the Hague but they have to detour via Sweden. Its not the most direct route but its something to do with an auto-maker sponsor.

I have the same question as Paps and you (Eyesailor) did not answer it: the question is: who decides which of the 3 routes Herman depicted the boats take? Who chose the 3 routes? 

Just now, despacio avenue said:

I have the same question as Paps and you (Eyesailor) did not answer it: the question is: who decides which of the 3 routes Herman depicted the boats take? Who chose the 3 routes? 

Never mind; Sorry, Tunnel Rat answered it. I don't know why it took so long for my earlier post above to go through. Watching Stanley Cup.perhaps PC operator malfunction;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

:)

32 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

The RO

On 5/29/2018 at 11:03 PM, southerncross said:

On 5/29/2018 at 11:22 PM, jack_sparrow said:

On 5/29/2018 at 11:24 PM, southerncross said:

On 5/30/2018 at 1:42 PM, terrafirma said:

Very surprised Jack's normally better than that..! :D

So tongue in cheek SX ...pigs arse and as for you Terra, you seem to have forgotten just writing this little gem on the Cardiff thread.

So did SX really have a point here but one he is now so willing to discard....and is Terra's hard on for Burling more than one of imagining Pete with his shorts off?

To assist answer those questions here are some stats for the Top 4 on the Leaderboard for sailors incl the benchwarmers.

TEAM.            AC WIN   OLYMP'S    TOTAL   

1. Mapfre.         2                 5                 7            

2. Dongfeng.     -                  -                  0

3. Brunel.          5                 1                  6

4. Akzo.             2                 2                 4

Maybe SX should go back to his original position? 

Maybe Terra doesn't collect Nude Fireman calenders?

Maybe Shang should cease worrying about the "Telefonica Hoodoo" and now think about the "Medal Hoodoo"?

Will Akzo, the fastest boat in the history of the race be the one who determines who gets all the silverware from now on?

A leg with so many unanwered questions.

• Like 1

Jack,

Both Carolijn Brouwer and and Marie Riou on Dongfeng were Olympic sailors, Carolyn for both the Netherlands and Belgium and Marie for France.  Not gold medalists, though, if that is the criteria.

26 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Not gold medalists, though, if that is the criteria.

Mate correct and the cutoff was AC Win &  Gold first but that meant no Dong and bearing in mind there was no one after #4 Point Table or Akzo. Also forgot to put asterick against both Mapfre and Brunel having the only duals. That means the totals are really one less for Map and Brunel. Also could have added Tienpont as the only dual AC winner, but then it got too complicated for my minute brain.

PS. I originally did the list to support my view elsewhere about the introduction of those coming from an AC environment where there is a lot of effort for small gains. Maybe how things are panning out here, particularly the big improvers Brunel followed by Akzo (who were both unfortunately late starters/had pre start shit), indicates there may be something in that.

Plus there is an argument that it was Mapfre dragging the Dong up the ladder in pre-race training, albeit I think it worked both ways.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Maybe he just forgot this?

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

So tongue in cheek SX ...pigs arse and as for you Terra, you seem to have forgotten just writing this little gem on the Cardiff thread.

So did SX really have a point here but one he is now so willing to discard....and is Terra's hard on for Burling more than one of imagining Pete with his shorts off?

To assist answer those questions here are some stats for the Top 4 on the Leaderboard for sailors incl the benchwarmers.

TEAM.            AC WIN   OLYMP'S    TOTAL   

1. Mapfre.         2                 5                 7            

2. Dongfeng.     -                  -                  0

3. Brunel.          5                 1                  6

4. Akzo.             2                 2                 4

Maybe SX should go back to his original position? 

Maybe Terra doesn't collect Nude Fireman calenders?

Maybe Shang should cease worrying about the "Telefonica Hoodoo" and now think about the "Medal Hoodoo"?

Will Akzo, the fastest boat in the history of the race be the one who determines who gets all the silverware from now on?

A leg with so many unanwered questions.

You are slipping Jack. Take a deep breath you can do better. Don't take up comedy as a career. You normally have a career behind that Avatar of yours in these forums. 

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

(...)  Brunel followed by Akzo (who were both unfortunately late starters/had pre start shit), indicates there may be something in that. (...)

By the way, is Brunel's fundig secured now until the end of this VOR?

2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

You are slipping Jack. Take a deep breath you can do better. Don't take up comedy as a career. You normally have a career behind that Avatar of yours in these forums. 

I will give up and take up comedy when you take up sailing outside the sight of land Terra..how long have I got?

4 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

By the way, is Brunel's funding secured now until the end of this VOR?

I hope so, EY Netherlands (a big fish as you probably know) has become "presenting sponsor" for the finish of the Volvo Ocean Race in The Hague, and "Sailing Partner" for Team Brunel in December last year.

Source (in Dutch): https://webforms.ey.com/nl/nl/newsroom/news-ey-nederland-sponsor-van-team-brunel-en-volvo-ocean-race-finish

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

I hope so, EY Netherlands (a big fish as you probably know) has become "presenting sponsor" for the finish of the Volvo Ocean Race in The Hague, and "Sailing Partner" for Team Brunel in December last year.

Source (in Dutch): https://webforms.ey.com/nl/nl/newsroom/news-ey-nederland-sponsor-van-team-brunel-en-volvo-ocean-race-finish

Thanks, agree, there is hope, a lot of it.

4 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

By the way, is Brunel's fundig secured now until the end of this VOR?

Yes. Bouwe mentioned at some point during the Brasil stopover that they're ok to go till the end.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:04 PM, despacio avenue said:

there are 'marks of the course' yes. A bit difficult to leave go up the Channel while leaving Mizen Head to Starboard & either Muckle Flugga or Ronaldsay to starboard he he  ;-)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I will give up and take up comedy when you take up sailing outside the sight of land Terra..how long have I got?

Been there and done that Jack, even have a Hobart win under my belt.! 

• Like 2

Just now, terrafirma said:

Been there and done that Jack, even have a Hobart win under my belt.! 

Well done Terra not many on planet earth can say that.

• Like 3

Ahem, ahem - we won the Islands Race a couple of times . .  

Seriously, hats off to all the competitors - a great event. 

Image result for sandusky islands race

On 5/30/2018 at 9:43 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Mate correct and the cutoff was AC Win &  Gold first but that meant no Dong and bearing in mind there was no one after #4 Point Table or Akzo. Also forgot to put asterick against both Mapfre and Brunel having the only duals. That means the totals are really one less for Map and Brunel. Also could have added Tienpont as the only dual AC winner, but then it got too complicated for my minute brain.

PS. I originally did the list to support my view elsewhere about the introduction of those coming from an AC environment where there is a lot of effort for small gains. Maybe how things are panning out here, particularly the big improvers Brunel followed by Akzo (who were both unfortunately late starters/had pre start shit), indicates there may be something in that.

Plus there is an argument that it was Mapfre dragging the Dong up the ladder in pre-race training, albeit I think it worked both ways.

Jack, 

Are you still going to give us your version of the Akzo "pre start shit" as promised?

5 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Jack, 

Are you still going to give us your version of the Akzo "pre start shit" as promised? 

Stirring the paintpot ?

On 6/1/2018 at 2:10 AM, Miffy said:

Yes. Bouwe mentioned at some point during the Brasil stopover that they're ok to go till the end.

Winners are grinners.

Is this also the thread for the Cardiff stop-over, or shall we use the Leg 9 thread?

Anyway, the Scallys have non-PC fun:

Or:
stormtroopers-after-a-day-of-paintball-244637.jpg.9caf509fc6bd2bac817260b7e9082ac4.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Is this also the thread for the Cardiff stop-over, or shall we use the Leg 9 thread?

Here works  (crew discussions during a stopover tend to relate to this leg). 

Had to laugh that SHKS chose Paintballing vs, say,  beach cleaning, bar brawling, or . . . . Made sense. Wonder if Dee will organize a clean-up after. Not sure if paintballs are single-use plastics.

4 hours ago, stief said:

Here works  (crew discussions during a stopover tend to relate to this leg). 

Had to laugh that SHKS chose Paintballing vs, say,  beach cleaning, bar brawling, or . . . . Made sense. Wonder if Dee will organize a clean-up after. Not sure if paintballs are single-use plastics.

Gelatin

9 hours ago, Miffy said:

Gelatin

My house got paint balled along with others in the area; I was furious but, it did come off with a water hose. 

On 5/30/2018 at 11:34 PM, Sidecar said:

The English Channel is one of the busiest stretches of water in the world for merchant shipping and ferries, especially the Strait between Dover and Calais. Add to that traffic management schemes, and lots of inshore fishing boats and pleasure craft crossing, especially at this time of year, plus big tides and possibility of fog and no wind, all together, it is a recipe for an accident waiting to happen.

Whilst all that is true, they did go that way in the last edition as you can see from this route map. There are some nice screen grabs of the action on pressure drop.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/review/2014-15.html

http://www.pressure-drop.us/forums/content.php?5449-2014-15-Volvo-Ocean-Race

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 9:28 PM, stief said:

The two fleets sound awkward. A crewed Vendee race with stopovers beside a a VO65 training race. Will be a learning curve.

At least it will answer the question of who's quickest around the onion.

Wednesday, official training regatta
It is the first official test, although not scoring, in the same field of regattas and with the same course of the coastal race that will compete on Friday VO65.

The difference with previous times is that the schedules of the tides and the locks are determining here and will affect the start time of the regatta: 13:15 local time (14:15 Spanish peninsular time).

Thursday, Pro-Am regattas
In contrast to previous stops in Cardiff there will be two regattas in which 'Pros' and' Am'ateurs will sail together and from them will come a single winner. As always, this race does not score in the general classification or in the InPort Race Series, and only five members of the titular crew participate in it.

Friday, the coastal of Cardiff
Again about 60 minutes of travel between buoys to determine who gets the coastal victory in the capital of Wales.

To date in the general In-Port Race Series have computed a total of eight tests (the score of the Hong Kong is the result of the combination between the coastal and return to the island of Hong Kong) in which the MAPFRE has won three (Alicante, Guangzhou and Itajaí), has finished second in four (Lisbon, Cape Town, Hong Kong and Newport) and third in one, in Auckland.

In the absence of three coastal contenders (Cardiff, Gothenburg and The Hague), MAPFRE is the absolute leader of the overall In-Port Race Series with a total of 50 points and eight ahead of second-placed Dongfeng. Brunel is third, 14 points behind Xabi Fernández.

The kick-off will sound at 2:00 pm local time (3:00 pm in Spain) and you can follow it live on our website ( www.desafiomapfre.com ) and official Facebook channel ( www.facebook.com/desafiomapfre ) .

Saturday, prepare everything for the stage
It will be time to leave the boat loaded for the stage, for the action of the M32 and visits to the ship. But above all it is the day of the warrior's rest, the time to charge batteries before the start of the stage.

Sunday: Start the penultimate stage! 
It is the penultimate stage of the Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18 and who knows how decisive a general in which between the first and the third classified there are only three points of difference.

About 1,300 nautical miles between Cardiff and Gothenburg, and be careful because it changes the usual start time. The kick-off will be at 4:00 pm local time (5:00 pm in Spain).

http://desafiomapfre.com/el-mapfre-vuelve-al-agua-en-cardiff-para-afrontar-una-semana-decisiva/

1 hour ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Does anyone know when a decision will be made on which course to set?

Not sure, but wasn't the Newport course only announced less than 30 minutes before the start? (fog dependent, IIRC).

Probably we won't know until the warning signal 

Leg 10 Addendum Amendment 1 says:

3.1 (c) The range and bearing of the variable mark 1 & 3 will be displayed on the Start Boat and announced on VHF Channel 77 before the warning signal.

or . . .

Fri 8th June: Skippers & Navigators Briefing, Skippers Press Conference VO65 In-Port Race, Awards Night:

09:15h: Skippers & Navigators Briefing – Race Office Meeting Room

MAPF misdirection, though the opera part did force a chuckle.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, stief said:

Not sure, but wasn't the Newport course only announced less than 30 minutes before the start? (fog dependent, IIRC).

Probably we won't know until the warning signal 

Leg 10 Addendum Amendment 1 says:

3.1 (c) The range and bearing of the variable mark 1 & 3 will be displayed on the Start Boat and announced on VHF Channel 77 before the warning signal.

or . . .

Fri 8th June: Skippers & Navigators Briefing, Skippers Press Conference VO65 In-Port Race, Awards Night:

09:15h: Skippers & Navigators Briefing – Race Office Meeting Room

OK, thanks for the info.  I can understand that minor placement of buoys for the round the cans stuff may be announced very late, but I would have thought that the main course  (which side of Ireland to go and whether they need to go as far as Muckle Flugga or only to Ronaldsay) I guess that would be announced at the Briefing on Fri 8th.  

It would be a bit cruel to the navigators to leave them uncertain until a few minutes before the start.

1 minute ago, Tunnel Rat said:

It would be a bit cruel to the navigators to leave them uncertain until a few minutes before the start.

Agree. I thought your question was interesting, and so took a few moments to look for an answer. Potter and others would know better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

It will be announced no later than Thursday/Friday (Crew List day too?) is my guess if nothing on noticeboard about course selection timing 

They cannot announce the course too late, as this is one of the lessons learnt from Vestas incident in the last edition. Friday is the final day that an offshore course can be announced. 

The Newport course change was not one that affected the prep of the Navigators. However, the longer inshore course probably did mean that there was 24 less of fast sailing on the first frontal system. At least, according to the sailors. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Potter said:

Friday is the final day that an offshore course can be announced. 

Thanks. Common sense/ best practice, or is that actually written into the SIs, NOR or elsewhere? 

(Just wondering how the navs are advised or consulted about course changes, such as we saw in Leg 1)

some more info from TBRU about the Dutch match race in The Hague  (OT, but dumping this here rather than a Leg 11 thread)

Dutch battle in The Hague

On Wednesday June 27th Team Brunel and Team AkzoNobel will compete off the coast of Scheveningen for the Dutch honor. The current number three and four in the Volvo Ocean Race rankings will compete in a 'match race' series of four races. Both Dutch skippers are looking forward to this clash and the opportunities it offers - to give the business community a unique insight into sailing.

Unique opportunity for business and fans
Gideon Messink, Team Brunel Director: "The fact that the race finishes in The Hague is fantastic for Dutch sailing. We are very happy that together with Team AkzoNobel and the race organization we can organize these extra races on Wednesday. In addition to the regular race crew, we will have a number of guests from the business community on board for each race. For the business people, this is a truly unique opportunity to experience our fantastic sport. At the same time, the public has an extra opportunity to see the boats in action.

Business meet sailing
During the four races on Wednesday, the regular race crew for each individual race will be supplemented with a number of guests from the Dutch business world. Something that happens more often during the Pro Am races at each stopover.

Nevertheless, there is a big difference with the normal Pro Am's according to Bouwe Bekking, skipper of Team Brunel. Bekking: "It is now a real battle between two boats, both with a Dutch skipper and on our own turf, in sight of our own fans. It is clear that we want to win. Normally we sail the Pro Am's with all seven boats, which results in less pressure. It is great fun if you win and, of course, you try, but it is not too bad if you become third or fourth. Now it is clear, you win or you lose.

Bekking and Tienpont can't wait
Neither Simeon Tienpont, skipper of Team AkzoNobel, nor Bouwe Bekking, skipper of Team Brunel, can wait until they meet for the first time in a direct duel.

Tienpont: "It will be a lot of fun and I assume that it will be exciting and spectacular for all the sailing fans in the Netherlands who, I believe, will come to The Hague in large numbers.

Bekking: "It will undoubtedly be an exciting battle. We want to do this especially for all Dutch fans who have supported us in our race around the world. If it comes to the last In-Port race on Saturday 30 June, then this will be a good practice moment. 

https://brunelsailing.net/us/en/news/dutch-battle-in-the-hague

• Like 1

Just now, Rennmaus said:

Hope, it's no double with another tread:

Stief beat you to it.

44 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Getting a Royal to book the time to speak to the issue is always significant. Congrats to TTOP et al.

(though the latest few TallyHo vids--another two frankensaws--were more interesting to watch ;) )

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:42 AM, Tunnel Rat said:

For Course 3 I think most boats would stay outside the Inner Hebrides and use the Minch. 

Going inside Skye would be very risky as there is 30m clearance on the Skye Bridge at high tide. 

Tidal effects could be large if they cut through the islands. 

Corryvrechan is north of Jura, I'm not certain i would enjoy sailing through this....

Having said that I can imagine Scallywag going through these areas just for the hell of it.

You are so right Herman. These are old happy cruising grounds for me in my 'first boat with a lid'.

I remember coming to the Dhorus Mhor (Gaelic for "The Big Door") This is just NE of Jura and E of Corryvreckan. There as a south going tide (it can run at 8kts at springs) and we wanted to go north heading for Loch Etive if I remember right (it was 25 years ago - ouch!).

We were about a boat length off the rocks ( we were 21 feet) and a friend was about half a cable further out and a larger yacht 2 cables off. We hailed the friend and he came closer and suggested nipping round the corner for a cuppa in Loch Beag. He reluctantly agreed as he wanted to press on. We dropped the hook, got a brew on and spent 2 hours watching the bigger yacht, the sound of his high revving diesel drifting across the water and wasting 2 hours of fuel because he didn't progress forward 1 inch. When he started to edge forward we washed the dishes, lifted the hook and only then headed out.

The West Coast is the sort of place people come to try for a season and end up leaving 10 years later.

Now the Corryvreckan is a different beast altogether. with, according to the UK Admiralty Chart, "dangerous tidal streams" and the 3rd largest whirlpool in the world. I have been through the Gulf - at slack water I hasten to add and the hairs on the back of my neck was bristling. I even anchored in a small bay on the SE corner of Scarba - not for long and just so I would be able to say so. The stupidity of inexperience.

I have yet to find a cruising area to match it, even royalty agree, Princess Anne's 'Blue Doublet' was a few boats down the trot from us one year.

But for racing? A bloody nightmare, catch a gate - happy days; miss a tidal gate and get the anchor out for 3-4 hours or maybe the whole 6.

I don't think any of the teams (not even Scallywag) will try to cut inside the islands unless they are very sure of their tide tables.

Then Muckkle Flugga which is further north than Cape Horn is south is not to be underestimated. To put that point's position in perspective - go north from there, next stop the ice sheet (what's left of it)

This is not going to be an easy leg to win, it's a navigators leg. Most of the time they will be in easy radio range of the shipping and inshore forecast (BBC is usually pretty accurate) so should be little or no weather surprises for them except how pleasant the NW of Scotland can be. For example at Ullapool (further north than Moscow) palm trees grow outside -I kid you not, look it up. It can also be a bastard though.

In 4 days it will start to unfold. 

Sorry for the thread hijack

SS

• Like 2