Herman

VOR Leg 10 Cardiff to Gothenburg

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

I'm assured by his family he is fine...he is now thinking of following soccer.

Good idea, not Cloggies in the world cup this time, so only some nasty Spaniards and English folks to worry about :D

And TTOP ahead. Almost impossible keeping up with all that's happening, thanks to Live coverage, Live tracker, and lively crowd here.

Just now, Landloc said:

What did TTOP or DFRT do for there to be such a quick gain to TTOP? Sail change on DFRT perhaps?

Yeah, I think they were changing to the J1, TTTOP need to follow suit very soon or lose the place back.

Just now, Landloc said:

What did TTOP or DFRT do for there to be such a quick gain to TTOP? Sail change on DFRT perhaps?

DF has been sailing worse angles since the north of Scotland. Not sure why but they've consistently given up almost as much as 10 degrees to everyone that has passed them.

1 minute ago, Landloc said:

Just as TTOP rolled DFRT, the tracker showed DFRT luff up and slow for a bit.  So looks like a change to the J1 once they lost the drag race.  Let's see if it helps them, so far no!

2 minutes ago, Miffy said:

DF has been sailing worse angles since the north of Scotland. Not sure why but they've consistently given up almost as much as 10 degrees to everyone that has passed them.

Miff I agree except from the very start. They have been bow down all leg to keep up.

In about 2 hrs - we'll probably see a Brunel/MAPFRE match racing game by the exclusion zone. If the AC sailors on Brunel have their way, I'm sure they'll want to just round that corner as tight as possible and force MAPFRE to either slow or make a tack south or gybe north.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Miffy said:

In about 2 hrs - we'll probably see a Brunel/MAPFRE match racing game by the exclusion zone. If the AC sailors on Brunel have their way, I'm sure they'll want to just round that corner as tight as possible and force MAPFRE to either slow or make a tack south or gybe north.

Yeah, because there’s no AC sailors onboard Mapfre (Vila, Xabi, Tuke...)

They're going to put up an epic fight.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, manin said:

Not disrespecting Xabi, but Brunel is windward and ahead of them. Whether we're playing with war galleons or Volvo 65s, sort of takes the initiative away from MAPFRE. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Not disrespecting Xabi, but Brunel is windward and ahead of them. Whether we're playing with war galleons or Volvo 65s, sort of takes the initiative away from MAPFRE. 

Hahaha Agree, it all comes down to boatspeed and waiting for TB to make the first move.

And it seems that Mapfre is improving in the former, DTL down to 0.8nm

• Like 1

Can't catch up on last night's content, but I assume that most of it is in the Raws anyway...

Here is what just came in:
VNR 14 June, Team Brunel shoots into the lead as intensity builds towards photo finish:

TTOP is hanging on nicely, finally they are where they aimed to be. :)

49 minutes ago, Miffy said:

45 minutes ago, manin said:

28 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I love being umpire..I call a tie.

manin  by 1 AC win and up 2 Golds in total.

Miffy by 1 AC win but down 2 Golds individual.

Mapfre

Villa 3 X AC wins

Tuke 1 X AC win & 1 X Olympic Gold

Xabi 1 X Olympic Gold

Tamara 1 X Olympic Games Gold

Brunel

Burling 1 X AC win & 1 X Olympic Gold

Carlo 1 X AC win

Kyle 1 X AC win

More importantly, wonder why they are at the front of the bus compared to the Dong at the moment using this "wring boat speed out by small margins" criteria in a leg that demands that??

For those that don't know, not one AC winner or Olympic Gold Medalist on the Dong. No 3 on the medalist list is the Paintwaggon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I love being umpire..I call a tie.

manin  by 1 AC win and up 2 Golds in total.

Miffy by 1 AC win but down 2 Golds individual.

Mapfre

Villa 3 X AC wins

Tuke 1 X AC win & 1 X Olympic Gold

Xabi 1 X Olympic Gold

Tamara 1 X Olympic Games Gold

Brunel

Burling 1 X AC win & 1 X Olympic Gold

Carlo 1 X AC win

Kyle 1 X AC win

Capey was on Alinghi in 2003 ;)  1 AC win should count for what? 2 Olympic silver medals?

UPDATES ON THE THE FINAL DAY OF LEG 10

Updates on the The final day of Leg 10

Update 1244 UTC - Thursday 14/06/2018
"Norway's to leeward," announced Capey. Geography aside, the big news is that we've passed Mapfre and taken the front of the fleet. We managed to roll them to windward after a bit of a luffing match. They are now 1nm off our stern. With perhaps 12 hours left in this penultimate leg, the crew is re-energized and sailing with great intensity.

Kyle Langford: "I think we've got to win this leg before we can think about the race overall so that's all we're trying to do and that's been our goal since the start of the race really, it just hasn't started happening until the second half. We're just trying to chip away, do the small parts well and hopefully, it will all come together overall."

^^ you all forget the biggest factor and that is that Brunel has a strange thing called ‘momentum’ going for them the last few legs. Mapfre had that in the beginning but peaked too soon. Dongfeng had it in the middle and since Cape Horn it firmly sits with Brunel. :)

... and Yellow will consider itself warned after the Newport debacle, they will do or die I presume. 

• Like 1

While the real action is offshore...
... the race village opened today in G.

Even before the official opening  there were people wandering around.
The "attractions" are not too different from what I saw in Lorient during the last two editions, but there's a lot more Volvo action going on - who would have thunk.

I assume there will be a huge spectator crowd coming from tomorrow on. 

The whole city in VOR fever, flags everywhere, ads everywhere, lots of info at the tourist info, Göteborg rocks! 

13 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

More importantly, wonder why they are at the front of the bus compared to the Dong at the moment using this "wring boat speed out by small margins" criteria in a leg that demands that??

Apart from their sailing skills and knowledge, what’s hitting me the most is how resilient these guys are.

Almost no sleep, extreme conditions, such little margins... and they keep giving their 100%! Tough as nails.

9 minutes ago, manin said:

Hahaha Agree, it all comes down to boatspeed and waiting for TB to make the first move.

And it seems that Mapfre is improving in the former, DTL down to 0.8nm

For me Brunel are heavy favorites, with 1-2-1 in the three latest,  compared to Mapfre 5-1-5 and DF 2-4-3. 

Mapfre catching up may just be Burling (?) or whomever is the ultimate driver on Brunel taking a well deserved nap. 

Mapfre's chance are hanging on until the last few miles with running, then pouncing with their extra low mode. Brunel should put some more miles between them before that, close protecting against a boat that sails lower and faster downwind will be painful.

From 12. June on their way to Scotland:

VNR 12 June, interview in Portuguese, António Fontes, Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag
VNR 12 June, interview in Italian, Alberto Bolzan, Brunel
VNR 12 June, interview in French, Justine Mettraux, Dongfeng
VNR 12 June, interview in Chinese, Liu Xue 'Black', Dongfeng
 VNR 12 June, interview in Italian, Francesca Clapcich, Turn the Tide on Plastic
VNR 12 June, interview in Dutch, Simeon Tienpont, AkzoNobel
VNR 12 June, interview in Portuguese, Martine Grael, AkzoNobel

Just now, Elisa said:

^^ you all forget the biggest factor and that is that Brunel has a strange thing called ‘momentum’ going for them the last few legs. Mapfre had that in the beginning but peaked to soon. Dongfeng had it in the middle and since Cape Horn it firms sits with Brunel. :)

... and Yellow will consider itself warned after the Newport debacle, they will do or die I presume. 

I don't know if MAPFRE "peaked too soon" just a strange bunch of circumstances - really only lost big in Leg 7 with their mast track issues & the unexpected win into Newport sort of covered up the electrical problem (which I think I'd distinguish from boat preserving/sail handling that's part of sailing).

Likewise, until this leg I don't think DF has ever been outsailed in boat speed by anyone in such a consistent way - if anything their boat speed has covered up all the shitty decisions Charles and Pascal have made during the entire race.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Elisa said:

^^ you all forget the biggest factor and that is that Brunel has a strange thing called ‘momentum’ going for them the last few legs. Mapfre had that in the beginning but peaked to soon. Dongfeng had it in the middle and since Cape Horn it firms sits with Brunel. :)

Yeah ..., you  sure you didn't play with some chickens or needles on some paper boat models or something ? 

I don't know if MAPFRE "peaked too soon" just a strange bunch of circumstances - really only lost big in Leg 7 with their mast track issues & the unexpected win into Newport sort of covered up the electrical problem (which I think I'd distinguish from boat preserving/sail handling that's part of sailing).

Likewise, until this leg I don't think DF has ever been outsailed in boat speed by anyone in such a consistent way - if anything their boat speed has covered up all the shitty decisions Charles and Pascal have made during the entire race.

I hear you but in that is what is funny about ‘momentum’ it takes all that into account, even lady luck is contributing. 

Don’t want to be harsh or rude, but with that fabulous boatspeed of Dongfeng, it should have won a few legs or at least one of the biggies. Why not? Because it apparently did not all come together for them until now at least. They might still win the race, who knows. 

Momentum is not something you can orchestrate, it comes to you... or not. All great sportsmen/women will know what I mean. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Yeah ..., you  sure you didn't play with some chickens or needles on paper boat models or something ? 

Don’t tempt me :lol:

• Like 1

Ohhhh you Mapfre doubters with dementia.

Remember the run into Auckland..a surgical display if there ever was one and where if the finish line was a tad down the track they probably would have won it...left the Dong wallowing behind to bury poor Dee.

10 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Ohhhh you Mapfre doubters with dementia.

Remember the run into Auckland..a surgical display if there ever was one and where if the finish line was a tad down the track they probably would have won it...left the Dong wallowing behind to bury poor Dee.

Sofie for you.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Sofie for you

She is in real life what you see, laidback maybe even gawky but behind that confident, super talented and as tough as nails. I have a feeling she will chose a different path after this race.

2 hours ago, stief said:

Quick Jack--grab those Sir Robin VOR comments at the end of the Live. Lots of good stuff for your thread. 

stief I went to the replay but gone??? Were they post live censor warranted?

Sorry, just to say that the system has informed me that my ‘likes’ have sold out for today :blink:. That of course can be (sadly I don’t get anything technical) but I still like you all and your posts :wub:. Following this race with you guys and girls is a true pleasure. So no more clicking just tracker glueing for me :).

Backt to racing: Brunel needs to wake up their number 1 driver, helming seems a bit inconsistent at the moment and they need to stretch their legs to walk away a bit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Just finished a 10K.  Didn’t think I’d make it back in time.  Looks like Mapfre gaining ever so slightly.

They got as close to about 0.8 nm - then Brunel went on a tear the past 30 min.

• Like 1

Great vid Miffy posted above of Brunel passing Mapfre.  The look on their faces - nothing we can do.  Big bend in Bru's mast, lifted and sending it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southerncross said:

So there's finally a daylight finish and the shortened the course?

I am not familiar with the Goteborg, but I assume there are a ton of rocks to avoid. Might be tricky in these conditions, and VOR really cannot deal with another finish disaster...

Makes me think they might do more "offshore" finishes in the future, although that idea has been called stupid by some.

2 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

Shitty of epic? You need to work on your PR for NS weather :)

Epic is the SH, this is s#itty. Especially if you're freezing wet on a press boat in the middle of the night.
But beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

9 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

In the s#ittiest wheather there is this summer

We are in shock. Going from tropical to fall storm is weird. Two days ago we had to really search for wind and it was hot hot hot...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnotherSailor said:

I am not familiar with the Goteborg, but I assume there are a ton of rocks to avoid. Might be tricky in these conditions, and VOR really cannot deal with another finish disaster...

Makes me think they might do more "offshore" finishes in the future, although that idea has been called stupid by some.

Lots of rocks. Even the locals have a hard time avoiding them. If they follow the shipping lane they will be safe but I don’t know if they will.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AnotherSailor said:

Those dismissing the idea of offshore finishes w/ insure finish order maintained (motor sailing if needed) are in the minority and a peculiar mix of folks who watch sailing but also have a hand in marketing.

For the curious fans who visit the dock - it makes no difference if the arrival is racing or choreographed stage.

I'm glad RC changed the finish so it isn't such a downer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Great vid Miffy posted above of Brunel passing Mapfre.  The look on their faces - nothing we can do.  Big bend in Bru's mast, lifted and sending it.

Thanks for pointing to that. Wow. Brunel is in a different league in their home waters... with all the sea water it is hard to say whether MAPFRE crew is either ready to cry or already crying.

I'm glad RC changed the finish so it isn't such a downer.

I don't know.  A good crash on the rocks would have made the front page!

• Like 1

Those small helicopters (Elisa's videos above) look tenuous in those conditions.  Think I'd rather be in a good coastguard chopper.

Thought experiment.
Late night finish in the Götaelv, no wind.
Boats are parked but not anchored.
Brunel in first position 1 nm ahead of Mapfre in second place.
A freighter comes in on collision course with Brunel, and will have to manouver hard to get around safely, unless Brunel starts the engine and move away.
Some would say that a pleasure craft in such a situation should get out of the way.
What would you do?

14 minutes ago, southerncross said:

And sea state pretty benign..I was expecting it to be breaky breaky territory at that TWA and TWS.

7 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

Thought experiment.
A freighter comes in on collision course with Brunel, and will have to manouver hard to get around safely, unless Brunel starts the engine and move away.
Some would say that a pleasure craft in such a situation should get out of the way.
What would you do?

Give the skipper of the freighter more money than Shang gave him to run you down?

• Like 1

I am a bit baffled by the strategy of TTTP: They seemed to be winning the drag race from Dongfeng, so why sail a higher course, which will bring them closer to Skagen, with a wind shadow, which should be avoided.

Are they waiting to change gears? and bear down on DF?

Did you catch this one where Brunel is bearing down on El Mapfre?  Damned impressive how they just walked past Mapfre and kept going at this late stage of The Race.

16 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

Thought experiment.
What would you do?

Not sure about the rules in Sweden, but up here the freighter would have right of way. Colregs only apply in more open water. We had to motor away from a cruise ship last week....

3 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Not sure about the rules in Sweden, but up here the freighter would have right of way. Colregs only apply in more open water. We had to motor away from a cruise ship last week....

Usually faster give way to slower and ones which are less manoeuvre have right of way. I guess all freighters and cruisers  are less manoeuvrable...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

stief I went to the replay but gone??? Were they post live censor warranted?

Sorry was away, and laughing at the shakels going on. Like Elisa and quite a few others, forum gods have ruled on reactions.

Sir Robin still speaking on the FB  post (last few minutes of a 1 hr show); here's the link https://www.facebook.com/volvooceanrace/videos/10157031414092437/

Well finally got my wish on a leg finish at a watchable hour! I hear you folks on the subject of oddball weather, the PNW has for the last few days had conditions more suited to Feb. figures, by the weekend we'll be in the 80s.

2 minutes ago, silvestert said:

Usually faster give way to slower and ones which are less manoeuvre have right of way. I guess all freighters and cruisers  are less manoeuvrable...

Faster give way to slower?
Haven't heard that before.
How do you determine that if it is not obvious?

3 minutes ago, silvestert said:

Actually we had no steering, no wind. But the police boat with sirens in front of the ship convinced us to start the engine when the cruise ship suddenly changed its course ;)  It was either us, or hundreds of other boats in the race.

• Like 1

Yesterday's stuff. Took a while, as the internet is not stellar in my hotel room.

VNR 13 June, interview, Mark Towill, Vestas 11th Hour Racing
VNR 13 June, B-roll & interview, Simon Fisher, Vestas 11th Hour Racing
VNR 13 June, B-roll & interview, Daryl Wislang, Dongfeng
VNR 13 June, interview, Bouwe Bekking, Brunel
VNR 13 June, Live X interview, Bouwe Bekking, Brunel
VNR 13 June, Live X interview in Dutch, Bouwe Bekking, Brunel
VNR 13 June, interview, Kyle Langford, Brunel
VNR 13 June, interview in Flemish, Louis Balcaen, Brunel
VNR 13 June, heli: fleet off the Outer Hebrides
VNR 13 June, Mapfre leads fleet north of Scotland
VNR 13 June, interview, Rob Greenhalgh, Mapfre
VNR 13 June, interview in Spanish, Támara Echegoyen, Mapfre
VNR 13 June, interview, Támara Echegoyen, Mapfre
VNR 13 June, interview in Dutch, Annemieke Bes, Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag

2 minutes ago, AnotherSailor said:

Just to be clear: that is not a thought experiment. There are rules.

Business before leisure, for example. 

1 minute ago, NORBowGirl said:

Actually we had no steering, no wind. But the police boat with sirens in front of the ship convinced us to start the engine when the cruise ship suddenly changed its course ;)  It was either us, or hundreds of other boats in the race.

Bloody outrageous letting a cruise ship on the race course.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

Faster give way to slower?
Haven't heard that before.
How do you determine that if it is not obvious?

Well, I started my sentence with usually, so there is no rule for it. It is more like courtesy to others... and only when one boat is MUCH faster than the other.

Where I sail, I am usually one of the fastest boats on the water with some A Cats. We always give way to others, just because it is easy to do so. With that much apparent wind I can change course by 10 or 20 degrees without having to trim the sails...

• Like 1

Just now, southerncross said:

Bloody outrageous letting a cruise ship on the race course.

I bet it said outrageous to let a race use the cruise ship lane ;) but it’s part of the fun and excitement in this race! We sail out the Oslo fjord and it’s not a lot of room. As I said, they have police boats controlling it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silvestert said:

Well, I started my sentence with usually, so there is no rule for it. It is more like courtesy to others... and only when one boat is MUCH faster than the other.

Where I sail, I am usually one of the fastest boats on the water with some A Cats. We always give way to others, just because it is easy to do so. With that much apparent wind I can change course by 10 or 20 degrees without having to trim the sails...

Yes, fair enough !
My thoughts were more along the lines of, how would it be to make the call to start the engine, when you are so close to maybe winning the VOR?
I know there are probably redress discussions and all (maybe)?
It wasn't really to start a discussion about rules, more the whole idea of being so close and then have to make that call :)

There is not going to be any parking spot at the finish this time. But they probably moved it not to get any VO65 blasting at +20 kts in the inner harbour...

2 minutes ago, Jammen said:

There is not going to be any parking spot at the finish this time. But they probably moved it not to get any VO65 blasting at +20 kts in the inner harbour...

Hint: Thought experiment :)